Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Looking for a Korean lever with directionals equal to diagonals  (Read 1836 times)

Axl_Cobalt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2022, 06:53:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I am looking for a Korean lever with:

a circular restrictor collar
equal distance for all eight directions when riding collar
changable top
smaller neutral area (less important than other 2)

grommet tension and switches do not matter, I will change them out.  Collar height also does not matter.

I recently ordered a Sanjuks V6, does the default head have directionals equal to diagonals?
If not, which head in the headset should I use?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 12:35:40 pm by Axl_Cobalt »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:14:24 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Looking for a Korean lever with directionals equal to diagonals
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 04:27:22 pm »
I recently ordered a Sanjuks V6, does the default head have directionals equal to diagonals?

you usually take the "E" clip off the bottom of the stick and remove move the switch actuator portion on the bottom and turn it around so the largest portion is touching the switch levers for 8 way "diagonals" operation...and rotated around so the slightly smaller side touching the switch levers to have 4 way (left right up down only) actuation.

Axl_Cobalt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 06:25:29 am »
What I meant was a lever that has equal representation of diagonals and directionals, not one with only directionals.
That is interesting though.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:48:58 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 10:51:15 am »
What I meant was a lever that has equal representation of diagonals and directionals, not one with only directionals.
Which of these best describes what you are looking for?

1. The only thing that matters is that directionals and diagonals cover 45 degrees each.  You don't care about the angular distance travelled along the gate, the linear distance travelled along the gate, or the relative sizes of the actuation areas.  (circle, octagon, or square restrictors)
- Up would trigger when the lever is pushed 0 +/- 22.5 degrees, Up/Right would trigger when it is pushed 45 +/- 22.5 degrees, etc.

2. The directionals and diagonals cover 45 degrees each as you ride the restrictor plate and the linear distance travelled along the gate must be the same for both directionals and diagonals. (circle and octagon restrictors)

3. The actuation areas for directionals and diagonals are the same 11% and you don't care that the linear distance travelled along the gate is different for directionals and diagonals. (square restrictor)

Some related info at http://slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html.

Scott

Axl_Cobalt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 11:44:21 am »
2. a korean lever with a circle collar  and exactly 1/8th of the inner circumference for each of the 8 directions.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:48:58 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 01:32:34 pm »
I'm not sure if your stick will have exactly 1/8th of the inner circumference for each of the 8 directions, but you can build a test panel to check it.

- Mark the center point of where you plan to mount the joystick.

- Use a compass to draw a circle around that center point.  Circle should be large for greater accuracy in measuring.

- Mark the 0 degree point on the circle using an L-square aligned to the edge of the panel and the center of the circle.

- Without changing the radius of the compass, put the point of the compass on the 0 degree mark and mark where the compass arc crosses the original circle. (+45 degrees)
-- Next, put the point of the compass on the +45 degree mark and mark where the compass arc crosses the original circle. (+90 degrees)
-- Repeat until you have marked 0, 45, 90, 135, 180, 225, 270, and 315 degrees.

- Bisect the 45 degree angles using the process for bisecting a 90 degree angle in this video.  This will mark the 22.5 degree angles.

- Drill a small pilot hole through the 0 degree mark on the circle.  This will let you orient the joystick base on the bottom of the panel to the markings on the top using an L-square.

- Mount the joystick centered on and oriented relative to the circle you drew using one of these two methods.
-- Drill a hole the diameter of the joystick shaft through the center.  Put the joystick shaft through the center hole and mark the mount holes for the joystick. Remove the stick and drill out the center hole to the proper size.
-- Drill a hole in the center that is the proper size.  Use a 3d printed collar to hold the shaft exactly in the center of the hole while you mark the mount holes for the joystick.

- Wire the joystick and either bring up the joystick tester in Windows Control Panel (gamepad firmware) or use a keyboard test program (keyboard firmware) to see when switches are open/closed.

- Use a loop of string to pull the lever around the circumference of the restrictor.  See if the transition between cardinal directions and diagonals happens at the 22.5 degree marks.   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 01:37:19 pm by PL1 »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:14:24 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 12:56:38 pm »
2. a korean lever with a circle collar  and exactly 1/8th of the inner circumference for each of the 8 directions.

wew!

i'm happy if all the directions WORK!  :lol

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 03:16:38 pm »
If I understand correctly, the OP is unfortunately looking for a stick which defies the laws of physics... at least where the diagonals are derived from the actuation of 4 switches/sensors responsible for cardinal direction sensing.  The diagonal throw of a normal joystick is essentially the hypotenuse of a right triangle possessing sides of equal length.  This would mean that the diagonal actuation would occur at roughly 140% of the travel required to actuate the cardinal directions. 

An analog stick which selectively maps into larger chunks of directional mapping will likely also be insufficient for exactitude due to coarse areas of transition between directions.

There may be something out there which can claim do this.  But whether it's always 100% accurate would still be questionable.

Axl_Cobalt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 11:55:43 am »
With 4 switches, it would be best to go with something that has diagonals with area less than directionals, but diagonals edge circumference still greater than the directionals (halfway between the 2 if possible).  As for analog, the Paradise Arcade Magenta seems to have more than enough resolution to be close enough (even analog with 256 values per axis is more than enough with some
neutral zone).  If I could buy the Magenta, a circular gate, an Otto v2 kit, spring delete insert and a 90A grommet that would probably solve the problem  I can't find a Magenta circular gate for sale, and the 90A grommet probably does not exsist.  How are the diagonls on the  Crown SDL 301?