Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Are some games too fast or am I too old?  (Read 8998 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Are some games too fast or am I too old?
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2022, 04:30:13 pm »
PS, Hey Randy!!  I just got a Tron stick (with you still sold them), and will be ordering a trigger from you soon.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the Dominux sticks.  We'll still be offering the TRON switches for a while, so whenever you are ready. :)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2022, 03:44:46 am »
Millipede - easy settings 377k - never got this far back in the day,
but several years ago could hit a million:

also got 368 on default

later

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2022, 02:08:33 pm »
When I was about 16 years old, Atari had a contest for a high score on centipede.  I played and played that game (although I admit that was using a WICO on a home-built panel even at that time) to get good at it.  Eventually, I had gotten so good at the game, I had to stop playing so I could photograph the score before it rolled back to zero.  Lousy Atari never even responded to my entry and I'm not sure if they ever even paid out to any winners.

I'm here to say that I probably couldn't get close to that today.  Maybe due to age, but more likely is that after a point it would just be a huge effort and grind with no tangible reward at the end of it.  At least in the arcade you got to try to think up 3-letter cuss words to put in the high scores for other players to see.

So that leads me to a question:  To the old coots who are still playing for the sake of trying to beat your personal high scores, what exactly motivates you in that direction today and how do you find the time to devote to it?  I would find the answers to this one far more interesting. :)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2022, 09:03:54 pm »
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 09:06:22 pm by leapinlew »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2022, 09:18:51 pm »
That's the one.  I was very excited because I had what I believed was the highest possible score.  I get the feeling that there were tons of people who did the same, because after all, if I could do it .... :)

But there was no internet in those days so if anything was ever awarded, I didn't hear a thing about it.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2022, 02:57:12 am »
i like the challenge of beating my scores, and placing on the leaderboards.

super breakout is brutal after just a few minutes:

super break out 2029 - 2nd place - progressive - 5men 

have 1404 on 3 men default - first place

later

csnow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2022, 08:22:41 am »
Battlefront 2 cost me like $5 on ps4 and has a decent solo campaign.

The first one had a good psvr mission.

Still need to finish up Rogue Squadron or whatever the VR one was.

Ginger Jedi still taunts me.

Been some good Star Wars games lately, to be honest.
I just started playing Battlefront II on the original XBOX.  Graphics aside, that is a really good game.  I wasn't gaming much due to life/work/family in my mid 30s around 2004/2005 so I missed many of the late games on the PS2 and XBOX.  There are some real gems in that era.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2022, 08:40:18 am »
I used to play fast Ms. Pac-man all the time when I was a kid. I never had an issue with it, or missing turns, or whatever. I will miss turns more frequently now when I play at home with a 4 way WICO leaf with little use. It was NOS a few years ago and it's still a pretty tight joystick.

I just played Ms. Pac-Man at a barcade and it had a happ anniversary stick in it. I had no issues with that stick, which was also well broke in, and felt easy to play the way I used to play when I was a kid.

So.... the hardware definitely has to be factored in.

working on ms pac man turbo, with class of 81 from arcade 1up, some tiny problems with turns but still
hit 745k (trying to get to the killscreen).

went through a ghost at 589k
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VPnWiPEuU7I

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2022, 11:17:55 am »
ms pac man turbo - perfect ghost eating - high level grouping strategy - got to 500k
played greedy, died early before getting to killscreen

later

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2022, 10:52:53 am »
 It depends, my reflexes are about the same. I am at the same lame level I can't get past, same as the  80's.

As for today's kids, my buddies' kids were way into xbox when it came out. Up 2 hours before school to play into it.

They were going nuts with 10 button and 3 sticks, and I told them we only had 1 stick and one button, and that was sometimes. -

They laughed.

Short while later, I fired up Donkey Kong for the 15-button combo xbox kids....  It took them an hour to get to the second level...  :)

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2022, 12:41:10 pm »
Short while later, I fired up Donkey Kong for the 15-button combo xbox kids....  It took them an hour to get to the second level...  :)

Heh.   That's a good point.  Saw the same with the son of a buddy of mine.  He could probably get into lower tier e-sports with call of duty games, but the oldies kicked his butt.  He got frustrated and quit :)

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2022, 01:00:03 pm »
My 11 year old son loves video games, but he will not play old or even new arcade games unless there's a crowd of interested people. To be fair, the arcade games were designed to kill you in 2-3 minutes and that's 2-3 minutes he could have spent pretending to be a super soldier.

People are bad at arcade games because they don't have the time or desire to get good. Only a small percentage of people lack the dexterity because of age or whatever.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2022, 01:19:47 pm »
My 11 year old son loves video games, but he will not play old or even new arcade games unless there's a crowd of interested people. To be fair, the arcade games were designed to kill you in 2-3 minutes and that's 2-3 minutes he could have spent pretending to be a super soldier.

People are bad at arcade games because they don't have the time or desire to get good. Only a small percentage of people lack the dexterity because of age or whatever.

I'll go along with that.  It's true that nothing makes you play better than people standing behind you who have their quarters on the machine :)

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2022, 08:41:42 am »

I'll go along with that.  It's true that nothing makes you play better than people standing behind you who have their quarters on the machine :)

i disagree completely.

i don't want anyone watching in person, i don't care if there's a crowd or not.

it's me vs the machine, that's all that matters.

10 or 100 people wouldn't make any difference at all.

i don't want people distracting me, or making noise. in fact, i'm pretty sure i had my walkman on,
so i couldn't hear anyone either when playing in the arcades.

later

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2022, 10:45:51 am »
it's me vs the machine, that's all that matters.

I'm sure it's a personal thing and can see how performance anxiety/distractions could get in the way.  But there's no greater unspoken compliment in the arcade than someone taking their quarter back off the machine when they realize that they'll be waiting longer than they thought. 

It's also different on your own machine as you can play it as often as you like without needing to give it up after a game.  Wasn't like that in the old days.  The better you played, the longer that machine was yours, and I did my darndest to hang onto it as long as I could ;)

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2022, 12:00:52 pm »
 I don't think kids play any less passionatly, but the games and how they are made to be played are very different.

I mean there are amost no ahooters that technicaly arn't "spray and pray".

Kids WILL NOT play a game where they only have 3 lives or no continues.

The Hi-score is a thing of the past, also the sheer numbers of games that are availible....no chance to get good at a few.

And above all you HAD to get good- or go broke $0.25 at a time. 8)

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2022, 03:59:06 am »
After several weeks, hundreds of restarts, and several hours, finally got Ms Pac Man Turbo Record - 999,990 - stopped before a million. Settings - Turbo, 5 men, NO KILLSCREEN - Namco patched fixed it. (usually around level 144).

later

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2022, 07:08:31 pm »
Recently I have been playing a lot of Eyes, Nibbler and especially Pepper II.  All great games but all seem to control a little too fast for my primitive eye-hand coordination.  Anyone else feel this way and is there any reason certain games were designed like this (other than to eat quarters)? 

I swear these three games in particular would be considered all time greats if they were just a hair slower to allow you to plan a little more in advance.  It's a miracle on Pepper II if I can clear an entire stage and many times my character misses a turn or something because my hands aren't fast enough for my brain.

I've asked myself that question a lot...  In my case, I used to be pretty good at FPS games and could usually keep up online in deathmatches and stuff.  Now days, I feel like I struggle a lot more than I used to so that I'm even a little competitive.  I kind of think it's a bit of both, but at the same time I also don't play as much as I used to (aforementioned age along with this stupid "adulting" I have to do now) so maybe throw in some "out of practice" on top of it?  My hand/eye coordination still seems pretty good, I just think my "processor" is a little slower these days so I don't respond to things as quickly as I used to.  Then again, maybe the kids are now just better these days and I suck in comparison?   :dunno

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2022, 03:25:11 am »
The more I play various games (in MAME , fpga, and also original boardsets) and the more I build, and the more I get obsessed with authentic controls, the more I discover that a HUGE part of success playing any of these beloved games is actually the latter-

Truly authentic controls for each individual game make such a remarkable difference in gameplay that it is astounding.

One can get used to anything given time of course, but I have found the shortest path to playing anything well and enjoyably is by being able to use exactly what the game was designed for initially.

There is no substitute for real leaf buttons if that was oem.
Full stop.

If it had Wico 8 way leaf sticks in the original then a microswitch unit simply will not satisfy.

The ONLY exception I have seen to this is with spinners and trackballs, where the work of fine gents like KenToad have made it such that you can tune a new replacement part to very reasonably (if not exactly in some instances) mimic an original part- in performance at least.

Hard to mimic the whir and physical air resistance of an old Tempest spinner or sheer mass of a Missile Command ball with anything but the original or a 1:1 reproduction.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2022, 06:21:10 pm »
The more I play various games (in MAME , fpga, and also original boardsets) and the more I build, and the more I get obsessed with authentic controls, the more I discover that a HUGE part of success playing any of these beloved games is actually the latter-

Truly authentic controls for each individual game make such a remarkable difference in gameplay that it is astounding.

One can get used to anything given time of course, but I have found the shortest path to playing anything well and enjoyably is by being able to use exactly what the game was designed for initially.

Full stop.

If it had Wico 8 way leaf sticks in the original then a microswitch unit simply will not satisfy.

The ONLY exception I have seen to this is with spinners and trackballs, where the work of fine gents like KenToad have made it such that you can tune a new replacement part to very reasonably (if not exactly in some instances) mimic an original part- in performance at least.

Hard to mimic the whir and physical air resistance of an old Tempest spinner or sheer mass of a Missile Command ball with anything but the original or a 1:1 reproduction.

It definitely depends from game to game. I'd argue Galaga works fine with almost any joystick and buttons. I have a special compiled version of Mame that allows me to play Gyruss, Time Pilot with a spinner and those games are much more manageable with a spinner.

Defender - must have leaf buttons. Qbert has to have angled joystick. It's subjective to the game.

I've seen people struggle with Ms. Pacman and an 8 way joystick, but it sure didn't seem to impact their enjoyment. They just didn't care and I guess they assumed it was their lack of skill.

But for the most part, I'm with you Bobby.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:12 am
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2022, 08:05:01 pm »
I've seen people struggle with Ms. Pacman and an 8 way joystick, but it sure didn't seem to impact their enjoyment. They just didn't care and I guess they assumed it was their lack of skill.

This may be why I never got into Pacman/Ms Pacman as a kid - boards shoved into generic cabs with an 8-way joystick, meh.
Check out my completed projects!

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2022, 11:16:19 am »

Full stop.

nope.

for me, its the opposite.

back in the day, all the machines were pounded on, broken joysticks, not maintained, and controls barely worked unless it was a brand new machine.

even nowadays in barcades, arcades etc. unless THEY really go out of their way to maintain controls, it makes no difference to casual players.

---
i use 8 way joystick for pac-man - can still hit the killscreen

i use lesser brands for galaga, joust etc - still get to a million and beyond.

i use 3rd party trackballs and spinners - still able to get to a million in centipede, and 200-300k on tempest.

in other words, original controls are not the best, and in most cases make no difference all to the vast majority of players
unless you are an expert.

Defender - must have leaf buttons. Qbert has to have angled joystick. It's subjective to the game.

But for the most part, I'm with you Bobby.

i can hit 200k on defender with a 4 way joystick, don't need the original.
qbert, just use an 8 way - still hit a million

you don't need the originals to play well, just need enough knowlege of the
levels and enemy behaviour.

--
even marble madness 2 which i'm playing now uses a joystick instead of a trackball,
and its still very playable. (although i haven't finished it yet, although many others have).

just depends on how much time you spend on it.

later
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 11:22:10 am by negative1 »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2022, 03:16:36 pm »

--
even marble madness 2 which i'm playing now uses a joystick instead of a trackball,
and its still very playable. (although i haven't finished it yet, although many others have).

For Defender, I was specifically referring to leafswitch buttons, not joystick. And Marble Madness 2 was designed for a joystick, so....

Understood that people can adapt. I'm sure people are scoring high scores playing paperboy with a joystick on the Arcade1up's, but I would hope we would all agree that the original controls enhance the game. For some people "enhancing the game" means high scores, but a high score isn't the only metric to be used. The original sentiment of the thread is that for many folks, the original controls are best because the game was designed with them in mind. I don't think that you can argue against that. Basically, using different controls will most likely equal different results.

My example specifically stated that it was easier to use alternate controls, therefore, getting a high score isn't a good way to determine if it helps or hurts the game.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2022, 08:56:28 pm »

I used to play Defender with a keyboard and was deadly at it :lol (PC version of course, in olden days before mame).

More important IMO for all these games is dedicated single-player controls. No two or four-player panels, like most of our first mame cabs. You want the joystick (whatever it is) right in front of you, and you right in front of the screen. Especially for the 4-way games on an 8-way. Otherwise it is too easy to mix up right with right-up, and so forth.

A while back I restored/rebuilt a 20" vertical cab with a single 8-way joystick and a couple of buttons. Threw in a 60-in-one PCB. Loved it for all those classic games, was the best for Galaga. Emulation wasn't perfect but the controls were. Still, Ladybug was challenging, is a fun 4-way game and you have to get the turns perfectly like in Pacman. I still suck at both.

I'm going to build another little 20" vertical cab soon, and it will have just one joystick. Watch this space... :D

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2022, 08:58:37 am »

--

For Defender, I was specifically referring to leafswitch buttons, not joystick. And Marble Madness 2 was designed for a joystick, so....

Understood that people can adapt. I'm sure people are scoring high scores playing paperboy with a joystick on the Arcade1up's, but I would hope we would all agree that the original controls enhance the game. For some people "enhancing the game" means high scores, but a high score isn't the only metric to be used. The original sentiment of the thread is that for many folks, the original controls are best because the game was designed with them in mind. I don't think that you can argue against that. Basically, using different controls will most likely equal different results.

My example specifically stated that it was easier to use alternate controls, therefore, getting a high score isn't a good way to determine if it helps or hurts the game.

i don't really care what type of buttons are being used, still doesn't make a difference for me.

as far as high scores go, what else is there.

if you really don't care, then there's no point in playing, might as well randomly hit buttons,
and throw your quarter down the drain.

also, if you don't care about scores, the controls don't matter either.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2022, 08:59:59 am »

I used to play Defender with a keyboard and was deadly at it :lol (PC version of course, in olden days before mame).

More important IMO for all these games is dedicated single-player controls. No two or four-player panels, like most of our first mame cabs. You want the joystick (whatever it is) right in front of you, and you right in front of the screen. Especially for the 4-way games on an 8-way. Otherwise it is too easy to mix up right with right-up, and so forth.

A while back I restored/rebuilt a 20" vertical cab with a single 8-way joystick and a couple of buttons. Threw in a 60-in-one PCB. Loved it for all those classic games, was the best for Galaga. Emulation wasn't perfect but the controls were. Still, Ladybug was challenging, is a fun 4-way game and you have to get the turns perfectly like in Pacman. I still suck at both.

I'm going to build another little 20" vertical cab soon, and it will have just one joystick. Watch this space... :D

i only play single player games, so multiple controls don't impact me at all.

later

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2022, 09:14:37 am »
i only play single player games, so multiple controls don't impact me at all.

On a single-player control panel? Then we have found something we definitely agree upon \o/

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2022, 01:35:20 pm »
Most people don't devote their lives to achieving high-scores and just want to play games as true to the originals as is currently possible.  In that sense, poor controls just make the games more difficult (even than they were in the arcades) and generally less enjoyable to play.

IMHO, if you are playing an old-school, rapid-fire game like Defender or digital pinball with anything on your buttons but true leaf-switches, then you are doing it wrong :)

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2022, 10:26:26 pm »

--

i don't really care what type of buttons are being used, still doesn't make a difference for me.

if you really don't care, then there's no point in playing, might as well randomly hit buttons,

later

Getting further in the game? Completing the game quickly? Enjoying the experience? It's not just score. Sheesh. I can flip Galaga, and I do very well at lots of other games, so it's not like I'm not able to achieve high score. I'm just not foolish enough to say the controls don't matter.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2022, 02:20:47 am »

--

later

Getting further in the game? Completing the game quickly? Enjoying the experience? It's not just score. Sheesh. I can flip Galaga, and I do very well at lots of other games, so it's not like I'm not able to achieve high score. I'm just not foolish enough to say the controls don't matter.

true. some games are time based and speed. (marble madness)
some are about getting to the end (dragons lair)

some are about just enjoying the premise.

but the vast majority have scores tied to the gameplay.

and anything that has a leaderboard, are definitely about the scores.
if it didn't matter, they wouldn't let you enter initials or name.

the earliest ones (space invaders, pac man, ms pac man), would only
record the highest score, but no name. so people would definitely be chasing scores on them.

again, for the vast majority of casual players, if the game is hard or the controls are bad, it would make NO difference
since they're only the machine for a few minutes.

i was watching people struggle to play marble madness in a barcade a few years ago.
they just couldn't understand the faster you rolled the trackball, the faster you went.
so people could only get to the 2nd level.

i've mastered the game, so made it to the end. of course i was furiously rolling the trackball,
and people were watching and making comments, like oh that looks hard. well, its supposed to be hard.
only people that played (or wasted) tons of money would get that.

even if the trackballs weren't working, they still wouldn't have made any progress on it.
but i can recognize when things don't work or out of sync, and can adjust.

later

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2022, 07:48:34 pm »
Negative 1,

What you described is simply  "Lazy"  individuals.  They didnt want to roll the ball faster, because that would be "Work".
And... considering that the last +15 yrs of the majority of popular games have been made to be BABY-LEVEL EASY...
most people are not used to even being Challenged.   Its the Snowflake Generation, these days, as a Result.

You are Partially correct.. that a person whom is extremely skilled, dedicated, and motivated... can and will attain
success in a game,  even with poor / broken controls.   Just like some famous guitarists, learned to play a busted
up guitar, that was missing a string, and was not able to be fully tuned properly.

That said... the MAJORITY of people, are not Eddie Van Halen... not matter how much efforts we put into what we love.

There was a dude that was flown over NYC  "ONCE"   and he was able to draw the entire city, with accuracy, on a giant
mural.  He had mental issues, and wasnt social.  But he had a level of skill and ability, that others will never be able to
duplicate... even with 1000 yrs of efforts.

I met a dude that was similar, in my martial arts days.  His name was Jeff.  He had learned about 7 different martial
arts systems, and was 100% Flawless, in the LIVE Sparring execution, all of them.  He could go from JKD, to
Shaolin Longfist, then to a Chi-Na grapple... one to the other, effortlessly, and made all of it work perfectly, as was
designed.

He was also a Sick breakdancer,  was crazy good at the Bongos,  and he was a masterclass level Airbrush artists,
able to paint pictures with photorealism.  He could have easily have been one of the top level Hollywood
Prop makers... had he not been super Religious.

He said that he former teacher called him, the KungFu Sponge... because he would would learn and replicate things
so quickly.

One day I had bought a Chinese Manuscript on one of the Kung Fu styles, just for the novelty of it.  It was written in
only Chinese... but had a lot of hand drawn pictures, with little arrows to show the movement directions.  Even as
good as an artists as I was... I could not really make out everything they were trying to depict...

Well, I brought the book to show Jeff.  He flipped through the pages, and started to replicate the instructions.  In
about 8 min or less.. he had fully learned this new form,  and he performed it, as if he had been practicing for
a decade.  It was Insane.

Trying to spar with him, was brutal and futile.  In a 45 min session.. I probably managed to Graze him twice.  Both
times... he made me pay Dearly for it,  with heavy counterstrikes, that blasted me through the air, crashing to the
mat.   He knew virtually everything I did, and a LOT more.  But even if he hadnt... his execution was flawless.. where
mine was still progressing towards masterclass levels.

The one thing Jeff wasnt so good with, was trying to teach.  I tried to get him to teach more some things... and when
I would do something incorrect.. he would say so,  but he could not explain what was wrong, or why.  He just
knew that the result wasnt right.   So in this case, he seemed to be a fantastic replicator... but... he seemed to lack
a certain level of conscious depth of understanding / awareness.   It seems people like him, almost always
operate on a mostly subconscious level.

Anyways... It seems like you are similar to Jeff.  Able to pick up something fairly quickly, and attain an excellent
result, within a fairly short amount of time.

That said... If I gave you a real Leafswitch, and challenged you today... with a game of Haleys Comet... I can assure
you that your scores with the Leaf,  and with a standard Microswitch,  would be Vastly different.

Haleys Commit is one of the rare games that gives you a lot of powerups, based on your continued high fire rate.
In the fist 2min, you could miss about 70% of the potential powerups, if you are not firing fast enough.  The game
will reward you greatly for your fire-rate and skills... and will punish you, for your lackings.

The problem with Micros, is the level of the switches spring tension resistance, to activate it.  Its not bad for the
occasional fire.  But to try to maintain a constant stream of fire at high rate?  Its way too fatiguing.  Your fingers
and hand will be so cramped and tired, that you will want to give up.

Where as a leaf switch, is just two thin metal pieces.. that you can literally vibrate between being open and closed,
with virtually no pressure or effort, at all.  You could continually "Feather" the button for an hour, at MAX speed,
without getting any fatigue.

Even the modern low-pressure micros, and modern leaf buttons, cant compare to the original leafswitch... because
they both "Bottom Out".  When you bottom out, you are suffering resistance and get impact fatigue.  Where as
an original leafswitch.. you find the activation spot.. and lightly bounce / vibrate the thing... without ever bottoming
out the button.  Like lightly bouncing on a very flexible diving board, squeaky loose floorboard, or light spring pressure
trampoline.

There are also other controllers, that will also give you far more advantages in performance potentials.

Just like anything.. sure... you can still manage to get decent with poor equipment.  But with the best
equipment... you can do so much better... with far less effort and fatigue.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2022, 08:09:19 pm »
And for the record...

I personally have never cared about my scores.   I grew up playing in the 80s arcades, so I got
to play most all of the well known classics.

Back then, I wasnt that good, as I often just tall enough to see over the control panels.
But I used to enjoy all of these games, despite their brutal challenge.

One of the few games that I actually got good at, was Sega's  "Turbo".   I believe I once got to
the 3rd or 4th  Extended Play round.   To me, it was merely about how far I could get,
and the fun in doing so.

Back then, I swear I only beat the first level of Congo Bongo, twice.  To me, it was a Glorious
victory... even if I couldnt get past the 2nd stage.

There are a few games, that sort of force you into caring about the score.  Target Earth, for the
Sega Genesis, is one of them... because, at the end of a level... if your score is high enough,
you get more weapons available to you, for the next level.

The only other game I can think of, off hand..  that I cared about the score,  was when playing
something like Skee Ball.  (Both real, and Virtual)

I did participate in a few Pinball competitions, merely just to play... but I was always far outclassed,
as these dudes spent a lot more time playing, than myself.  I always had fun playing, no matter
what score I got.  But it was fun to try to beat my own top score.

I think, if a game is fun enough... certain people that dont really care about score.. might actually
notice it.  But a lot of the time, people like myself, will just note the stage level that we managed to
reach.  For example... I think I got to level 34 on a Robotron machine once.  That said, it was probably
set to an easier difficulty level, rather than standard / normal.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2022, 12:46:21 pm »
Even the modern low-pressure micros, and modern leaf buttons, cant compare to the original leafswitch... because
they both "Bottom Out".  When you bottom out, you are suffering resistance and get impact fatigue.  Where as
an original leafswitch.. you find the activation spot.. and lightly bounce / vibrate the thing... without ever bottoming
out the button.  Like lightly bouncing on a very flexible diving board, squeaky loose floorboard, or light spring pressure
trampoline.

Every original, factory installed leaf button on my original Williams Defender panel sitting right next to me "bottoms out" easily.  The old leaf switch buttons come in a number of varieties.  I swear that we have had this discussion before. 

But you don't need to press a button, be it leaf or microswitch, all the way to the bottom, only enough to close the contacts.  The difference between a micro and a leaf is that the micro will always have a specific reset distance, regardless of how soft they are.  This distance is part of the manufacturing spec of the switch.  There is also a change in resistance as the spring tension is overcome, which is more of an issue on heavier micros than the lighter ones.   But these two things combined can make it much more difficult to rapidly cycle a microswitch with a high degree of repeatability.  A true leaf-switch, on the other hand, has a zero-length reset distance, and does not present a change in physical resistance near the point of actuation, which makes it easy to oscillate.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:46:32 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2022, 08:43:52 pm »
The difference between a micro and a leaf is that the micro will always have a specific reset distance, regardless of how soft they are.
Top shows a microswitch.  Bottom shows a leaf switch.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2022, 02:19:24 am »
I suck at all of them- and still love playing them!

Prioir to joining this community I had no idea there were different types of switches, only that the ones I used to play as a kid felt better than what I first bought for building as an adult.
What a difference a few years makes.

And now... no substitute for a properly adjusted old school style leaf switch (for buttons OR sticks) as far as I'm concerned.

Change my mind
 >:D
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2022, 03:46:47 am »
Every original, factory installed leaf button on my original Williams Defender panel sitting right next to me "bottoms out" easily.

Every leaf CAN bottom out... if you press it too far / hard.   However,  the activation point of the switch is closer to the top... and you can
vibrate the leafs on and off, a mere paper-thickness in distance... without coming even close to bottoming out the switch.

If your leafs are too old and worn... then they wont have enough spring resistance, and it will be too easy to bottom out.

But you don't need to press a button, be it leaf or microswitch, all the way to the bottom, only enough to close the contacts.

You cant "Feather" a Microswitch.   A standard Microswtich has way too much activation tension, so the distance between
activation and reset, will always be the same...  and even reset,  you will have to overcome the initial activation forces.

Also... once the micro activates, it is Physically bottomed out.  Maybe at best, you have a MM left of travel... but you will
not easily be able to keep it from hitting bottom.

Furthermore... Bouncing on the Leafs,  retains far more of the Energy you put in... and you are able to maintain that energy
in a constant flow.

The big problem with  "LIGHT ACTIVATION force micros",   is that they are Too easily activated.  Just resting your fingers
on the buttons.. and they often accidentally fire.

This is yet another advantage of real Leafs.  The spring forces are enough to keep you from accidentally activating them.
It feels like your fingers are floating... and then, you just press a little deeper, find the activation area... and lightly vibrate on and off.

You also dont have feel,  nor hear... a constant CLACKITY CLACK,  from both the buttons bottoming out, and the Micros themselves.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 03:48:46 am by Xiaou2 »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2022, 10:27:28 am »
If your leafs are too old and worn... then they wont have enough spring resistance, and it will be too easy to bottom out.

No, that's just the way they are.  Even the player 2 start button (you know, the one which got the least amount of use) is soft and easily bottoms out.  You seem only to have experience with badly installed leaf-switches on conversions which were placed too close to the plunger.  If they were as tight as you describe, they would need constant adjustment and replacement as the contacts would take a terrible beating from scrubbing against each other.  I have just such a conversion unit here and it arrived with the contact points gone because they were worn flat.  The ones on my Defender panel still have plenty of life and they still have factory soldered connections to the wire harness.

You also assume all of those old leaf switch buttons were the same and they were not.  Neither were the switches themselves.  Some had thicker or shorter or longer leaves, in order to give them the properties the game makers were looking for.  Leaf switches are customized at the factory, just like microswitches.  You order them with the properties you want and that's what they send to you.

The big problem with  "LIGHT ACTIVATION force micros",   is that they are Too easily activated.  Just resting your fingers
on the buttons.. and they often accidentally fire.

That's not an issue with the switch, rather the spring in the button itself.  If you lack the control to keep from accidentally actuating the switch, you can give the spring a stretch and make it as firm as you like.  What you don't want is that "bump in the road" created by the snap-spring mechanism in the switch.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 10:38:45 am by RandyT »

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2022, 07:35:07 pm »
pacmania 427k - default settings - 3 men:

Thats its for now, will probably max out around 500k.

Moving back to super pac-man to get a million, and then onto pac N pal to do the same.

later

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2022, 01:27:48 am »
Thats its for now, will probably max out around 500k.

You've been busy :)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:39:05 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2022, 09:57:01 am »
So I do actually try and play a Genesis game occasionally, even though the bulk of my SEGA time is spent making and stacking up more cartridges.

Last weekend, I sat down with the game Flink.  It's got that weird air brushy C-64/Amiga look, but is actually a very nice looking game by Genesis standards.

With infinite health, continues, and items I was still unable to make any real progress on it.  The obtuse derived from a keyboard interface doesn't help, but good god.  I mean, I'm pretty crap at video games and all but this one was particularly vexing.  It was like that jump in the cave in Aladdin except level after level like that.

:banghead: