Main > Software Forum

Can screen effects be disabled automatically for vector games?

(1/3) > >>

DaveC1964:
I have a screen effect (test1) that simulates scanlines in raster games.  When I load vector games that effect still shows up as scanlines and ruins it.  How do I set it to automatically shut off the effect when a vector game is loaded or is that not possible?  I included what that section looks like in a picture.  Note the vector.ini shows effect as none but it still shows it anyway.  Any ideas?

PL1:

--- Quote from: DaveC1964 on August 05, 2022, 05:00:40 am ---How do I set it to automatically shut off the effect when a vector game is loaded or is that not possible?

--- End quote ---
Have you tried putting TEST1 in raster.ini instead of mame.ini?

Scott

DaveC1964:

--- Quote from: PL1 on August 05, 2022, 05:35:59 am ---
--- Quote from: DaveC1964 on August 05, 2022, 05:00:40 am ---How do I set it to automatically shut off the effect when a vector game is loaded or is that not possible?

--- End quote ---
Have you tried putting TEST1 in raster.ini instead of mame.ini?

Scott

--- End quote ---
Yes, it doesn't recognize the raster.ini, it just ignores it.  It will use what is in MAME.ini no matter what the game is.  I am using MAME .117 maybe the feature hasn't been implemented yet?  I don't want to use a newer version because the PC is low power and I want to avoid the whole ROM nightmare.

PL1:

--- Quote from: DaveC1964 on August 05, 2022, 04:52:49 pm ---It will use what is in MAME.ini no matter what the game is.  I am using MAME .117 maybe the feature hasn't been implemented yet?

--- End quote ---
Here are two approaches to consider:

1. Have two copies of MAME -- one in C:\mame\ for the raster games and the other in C:\mame1\ for the vector games.
- Your C:\mame\ copy should already be set.
- Copy everything from C:\mame\ to C:\mame1\ .
- In C:\mame1\, update the paths, edit mame.ini, and keep only the vector game ROMs.

2. Use a .bat file to copy the desired version of mame.ini from either mame_raster.ini or mame_vector.ini before you launch the game.
- You can run a generic raster.bat or vector.bat before launching mame or you can make game specific .bat files.

vector.bat

--- Code: ---cd c:\mame
copy C:\mame\mame_vector.ini C:\mame\mame.ini

--- End code ---

raster.bat

copy C:\mame\mame_raster.ini C:\mame\mame.ini

--- End code ---

asteroid.bat

copy C:\mame\mame_vector.ini C:\mame\mame.ini
mame asteroid

--- End code ---

dkong.bat

copy C:\mame\mame_raster.ini C:\mame\mame.ini
mame dkong

--- End code ---

Scott

DaveC1964:

--- Quote from: PL1 on August 05, 2022, 08:15:45 pm ---
--- Quote from: DaveC1964 on August 05, 2022, 04:52:49 pm ---It will use what is in MAME.ini no matter what the game is.  I am using MAME .117 maybe the feature hasn't been implemented yet?

--- End quote ---
Here are two approaches to consider:

1. Have two copies of MAME -- one in C:\mame\ for the raster games and the other in C:\mame1\ for the vector games.
- Your C:\mame\ copy should already be set.
- Copy everything from C:\mame\ to C:\mame1\ .
- In C:\mame1\, update the paths, edit mame.ini, and keep only the vector game ROMs.

2. Use a .bat file to copy the desired version of mame.ini from either mame_raster.ini or mame_vector.ini before you launch the game.
- You can run a generic raster.bat or vector.bat before launching mame or you can make game specific .bat files.

--- End quote ---

It is an arcade cab with limited controls (no keyboard/mouse).  I am also using the Mala front end.  I did set up two Mala setups on the same system with a link, one that loads the front end with only vector games, the other with raster ones.  It works with one big problem, it is a MAME cab again so no way to click the link I want without attaching a mouse.  It just isn't practical.

Does this mean that MAME really does not support using vector.ini or raster.ini files?  I thought I may have been doing something wrong somewhere.  That seems like a big oversight with MAME.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version