Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to set MAME screen render size to 1920x1080 on a 1920 x 1200 monitor?  (Read 979 times)

DaveC1964

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 11:48:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I have an arcade cab with a 1920x1080 screen.  I have a desktop PC that I am using to set up .117 MAME artwork and .lay files as it is more convenient than using the cab to do it.  I test the artwork and screen layout on the desktop, then when finished I will transfer files to cab.  The problem is that the desktop has a 1920 x 1200 screen resolution.  MAME always fills the screen and uses that aspect ratio so when I transfer to the 1080P screen everything is off.

How do I set the actual screen rendering space on my 1920x1200 monitor to act like a 1080P screen with the borders on the top and bottom?  I have tried editing the MAME.ini file to 1920x1080 but MAME still insists on stretching to fill the whole screen.  I have tried setting maximize to zero, switchres to 0, to 1 etc.  Nothing works. I can't figure it out, it seems like it should be simple but it isn't.   Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 12:15:13 am by DaveC1964 »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:49:24 pm
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
I have an arcade cab with a 1920x1080 screen.  I have a desktop PC that I am using to set up .117 MAME artwork and .lay files as it is more convenient than using the cab to do it.  I test the artwork and screen layout on the desktop, then when finished I will transfer files to cab.  The problem is that the desktop has a 1920 x 1200 screen resolution.  MAME always fills the screen and uses that aspect ratio so when I transfer to the 1080P screen everything is off.

How do I set the actual screen rendering space on my 1920x1200 monitor to act like a 1080P screen with the borders on the top and bottom?  I have tried editing the MAME.ini file to 1920x1080 but MAME still insists on stretching to fill the whole screen.  I have tried setting maximize to zero, switchres to 0, to 1 etc.  Nothing works. I can't figure it out, it seems like it should be simple but it isn't.   Any suggestions?
Can you try providing MAME with the screen aspect ratio of 16:9.  You can test by adding the following argument to your MAME command line (including the quotes).  If it works out then add it to your ini file.

-view "Screen 0 Pixel Aspect (16:9)"
Check out my Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

DaveC1964

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 11:48:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
That didn't work, it still stretches the screen to fit.

Any other ideas or is it just not possible to do?