Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Coin door light questions  (Read 1738 times)

codeena

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2023, 06:23:54 pm
  • This site is cool
Coin door light questions
« on: July 24, 2022, 08:17:20 pm »
Hi, I wired a 4.5V AC power adapter to light up my two coin door's 6.3V lamps. It seems to work fine but I wanted to confirm that this is safe, which I assumed since the AC adapter has less voltage. If so, how many 6.3 lamps can I daisy chain to a single AC adapter? I have an additional 3 lighted buttons on the control panel that I'd like to light up as well. P.S. I don't want to power them to the PC's power supply for several reasons.

Thanks in advance!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 12:19:32 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Coin door light questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 12:32:22 am »
I wired a 4.5V AC power adapter to light up my two coin door's 6.3V lamps. It seems to work fine but I wanted to confirm that this is safe, which I assumed since the AC adapter has less voltage. If so, how many 6.3 lamps can I daisy chain to a single AC adapter? I have an additional 3 lighted buttons on the control panel that I'd like to light up as well.
Yes, it is safe to run 6.3VAC lamps on 4.5VAC as long as you don't wire too many in parallel which will draw too many Amps.

Two important questions:

1. How many Amps is the power supply rated for?

2. What kind of lamps are you trying to light?  (T3-1/4 wedge base or bayonet base?  LEDs?  Incandescent #44, #47, or #555?)
- Many incandescent bulbs draw 150mA (#47) or 250mA (#44 or #555), regular LEDs usually only draw 20mA, and some surface mount LEDs draw 50mA.

Scott

codeena

• Offline Offline
  • This site is cool
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 02:20:59 am »
I wired a 4.5V AC power adapter to light up my two coin door's 6.3V lamps. It seems to work fine but I wanted to confirm that this is safe, which I assumed since the AC adapter has less voltage. If so, how many 6.3 lamps can I daisy chain to a single AC adapter? I have an additional 3 lighted buttons on the control panel that I'd like to light up as well.
Yes, it is safe to run 6.3VAC lamps on 4.5VAC as long as you don't wire too many in parallel which will draw too many Amps.

Two important questions:

1. How many Amps is the power supply rated for?

2. What kind of lamps are you trying to light?  (T3-1/4 wedge base or bayonet base?  LEDs?  Incandescent #44, #47, or #555?)
- Many incandescent bulbs draw 150mA (#47) or 250mA (#44 or #555), regular LEDs usually only draw 20mA, and some surface mount LEDs draw 50mA.

Scott

Scott,
Thanks yet again for your time and reply. The power supply has an Input of 120V 60Hz 6W and Output of 4.5V DC 300mA.

Each coin door bulb is #555 wedge base but I haven't opened the control panel up yet because I'm looking for the security bits.

thank u
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 10:16:23 am by codeena »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 10:24:11 am »
The power supply has an Input of 120V 60Hz 6W and Output of 4.5V DC 300mA.

Each coin door bulb is #555 but I haven't opened the control panel up yet because I'm looking for the security bits.
With that power supply you can run one incandescent #555 bulb.

Swap the incandescent #555 bulbs for 5v or 12v T3-1/4 wedge base LEDs.

Scott

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 10:33:38 am »
Just use some LEDs.  Problem solved.

codeena

• Offline Offline
  • This site is cool
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 04:03:32 pm »
Just use some LEDs.  Problem solved.

Thanks for the reply. I actually have a bunch of #555 non-LED bulbs that I'd like to use first unless there would be a problem lighting all five bulbs with one or two power adapters. If 6.3V or equivalent LED bulbs are used, can I use a single power adapter?

Another question if anyone could help...I'm having issues pulling out the bulbs in this illuminated pushbutton. It doesn't seem to rotate to release like other light buttons I have or pull straight out. Any ideas how to access the bulbs?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 04:10:03 pm »
I have similar buttons.  Just pull harder, they'll come out.  I've had to use pliers before to get a tight enough grip.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 07:27:01 pm »
I actually have a bunch of #555 non-LED bulbs that I'd like to use first unless there would be a problem lighting all five bulbs with one or two power adapters. If 6.3V or equivalent LED bulbs are used, can I use a single power adapter?
The problem would be that the 4.5VDC 300mA power supply you described can't handle the current draw for more than one non-LED #555 bulb because they draw 250mA each.

Best case, if the coin door has two non-LED #555s and the three buttons have 12v LEDs, they're drawing about 518mA.
- (250mA * 2) + (6mA * 3) = 518mA

Worst case, if all five lamps are non-LED #555s, they're drawing about 1250mA and the buttons on the control panel are roasting your fingers.   >:D
- 250mA * 5 = 1250mA

LEDs are your friend.

Paradise Arcade Shop has these LED #555 replacements for the coin door (won't fit in some pushbuttons) and white or red or blue or green LEDs for the pushbuttons.
- These LEDs will run on that 300mA power supply with no problem.   ;D

Another question if anyone could help...I'm having issues pulling out the bulbs in this illuminated pushbutton. It doesn't seem to rotate to release like other light buttons I have or pull straight out. Any ideas how to access the bulbs?
On most illuminated buttons, the body of the button has tabs that fit into slots on the bulb socket/switch holder.

1. Put the switch back in so the arms are less likely to flex/break.

2. Rock the socket/switch holder as you try to turn it.

The rock/turn trick should work for tab/slot buttons (round) or peg/slot buttons. (triangle)

If your socket is a snap-in like the rectangular one below, wiggle the socket in a conical motion whle pulling and gently twisting.

Scott

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 12:22:11 am »
I prefer to use only leds at this point.   Not only are they typically brighter but they help to preserve your stuff.   When certain plastics are heated they become brittle and/or discolored over time.   Using leds eliminates this problem.   

codeena

• Offline Offline
  • This site is cool
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 09:41:39 pm »
Ordered some LED bulbs. Thanks all!