Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

What colour should the side panels be? (Refer to this link for colour comparison: Reply #45 )

Burnt Orange
4 (57.1%)
Candy Apple Red
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: 4 PLAYER RACING CAB – LED Outputs/ MameHooker/ OutputBlaster/ Physical RPM Tacho  (Read 10520 times)

Pstylz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 04:24:01 pm
  • 4Player Arcade Racer - WIP
I’ve been inspired by the amazing work in the emulation community, especially regarding "lamp outputs" to start a new project (:notworthy: thanks Boomslangnz and Howard_Casto).
My custom 4 Player Arcade racers.

I've previously built twin racers from the ground up around 10 years ago (they are huge) so decided it was time to start again and make them more compact, more professional-ish, more arcade-like and more immersive.

I'm really keen to set up output lamps etc to make the arcade experience more immersive. Things like the flashing RACE LEADER lamps, using WLED and LEDBlinky to control the RGB LED strip light effects and a PACDRIVE and MameHooker / OutputBlaster for controlling LED buttons and lamps.

I'm also hoping Boomslangnz can work his magic and find outputs for RPM so I can hook up a physical Tachometer and shift light! And then somehow figure out how to get MameHooker to talk to (I'm guessing) an Arduino which controls the Tachometer - if anyone has any experience with this pleaaaaase reach out! :woot

BIGBOX
All 4 cabinets are managed by one instance of BigBox on PLAYER 1.
  • Eliminates the need to use a frontend on each cab
  • Eliminates the need for the same game to be manually started on each cab at the same time
  • Stops the initial "network sync" errors with some games if they are not both started at the same time
  • Eliminates confusion for players
To find out more info, check out my other post: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164636.0.html

HOME ASSISTANT
I use Home Assistant to “turn on” each cabinet (the wall plug) – Each PC Bios is set to TURN ON mode when power is applied (no need to manually turn each cabinet on).
When the cabinets are turned off via HA, a script is run on each cabinet to shut down the PC correctly, shortly afterwards, HA turns off the wall plug cutting all power to each cabinet.  This ensures every powered device is off.
I was also able to set up each cabinet to run an instance of IOTLink : https://iotlink.gitlab.io/.  This enables me to “select a game” in Home Assistant which, via MQTT, runs a “start” script on each cabinet. 
All of this is easily done via my phone or wall tablet.

WLED
I plan on using the WLED Project to control the colours / effects of the 5xLED strips (Race Leader, under cabinet, footwell, left side and right side)
  • Example 1= setting each cabinets colours to their car colour i.e for Daytona USA.
  • Example 2= setting all LED strips to be SOUND REACTIVE i.e for Dirty Drivin’

CHALLENGES
  • Getting RPM Outputs to MameHooker <-- SOLVED - Thank you Boomslangz :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
  • Translating those RPM Outputs to a Physical Tachometer <-- SOLVED - :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:  

CONTROLLING THE Z5500 LOGITECH SOUND SYSTEM
This system is a beast!  And to have 4 of them running at the same time…. I may get complaints from neighbours haha… anyway, there are two challenges with these systems.. 1. is that they have a MASSIVE control pod and 2. You have to press the ON button every time the power is turned off to turn them on.  Not practical for my project considering each cabinet has all power cut when turned off.
SOLUTION: I found on eBay a Z5500 Control bypass cable   https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322849191576 this way I wont need to manually turn on each system or manually control the volume via a massive control pod. I can control the volume via the source (PC).
I can also “reset” the volume on each cabinet when a new game starts by setting the PC volume via game start script  😊

THE LG ULTRAWIDE MARQUEE / LIVE VIEW
At it’s most basic, this screen will show the current game marquee.
I think some games have a “LIVE VIEW” feature which I will investigate.
I’m trying to think of other uses also – perhaps Marquee and a live view of each players camera?
Any other ideas?

Here’s my parts list so far:  x4 :dizzy:

PACDRIVE to control:

Software:

I’m also working on a spreadsheet that lists games and their lamp outputs / num of players / num of gears / troubleshooting tips / resolution / etc which I’ll post soon and keep updating.

I’ll post progress photos soon 😊
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 02:04:20 am by Pstylz »

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
01/08/2022 - UPDATE A
-------------------------------

SEATS -->
2x Seats came in - unfortunately they are damaged and out of stock for 4 to 6 weeks which is frustrating.
However, they are AWESOME!!!  They are all black and have a nice Carbon Fiber look on the backs.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265236866204

CASTER WHEELS
I went 3 inch Heavy Duty Casters.  These are rated at 680kg / 1500lbs.  They seem pretty solid.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Moogiitools-1000lbs-Swivel-Locking-Casters/dp/B07CMTMHHT
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:24:36 am by Pstylz »

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
01/08/2022 - UPDATE B

I put some work into the design and shape over the weekend.

It was a little tricky and took several tests with people and kids of different heights to get the seating, pedals and steering wheel positioned correctly.
Still playing around with the dimensions and shape of the foot side panels and top side panels - these will most likely be in a similar shape to Daytona USA cabinets, although I plan on including a RACE LEADER marquee also.

I finished the base which is pretty heavy when the 10" Logitech sub is in place.  The 18mm MDF makes the unit very solid though.

I've pulled apart the Logitech G27 Pedals and flipped them upside down and attached them to an angled piece of wood - this is a more comfortable/realistic feel.  I'm not including the clutch or 6 speed shifter - instead using a 4 speed HAPP shifter for that more authentic Daytona USA feel.

The base-top piece has been separated into 3 pieces.  One that surrounds the subwoofer, one that will be used to access the PC and electrical pieces and the last is support under the pedals.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:24:53 am by Pstylz »

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
01/08/2022 - UPDATE C

I also played around with the 4 Speed HAPP shifter holder.  Most likely going to angle it slightly for easy access.
These 4 speed shifters really make the whole arcade experience more genuine.  On my old twin racer cabinet, people would always miss gears on the 6 speed Logitech shifter.

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
17/08/2022 - UPDATE

Managed to put a bit of time into the design over the weekend.  :)
I found it quite challenging to get the shape I wanted on the side panels as its quite an odd shape but I think they've come up quite well.  I think the angles really give it more character rather than lots of square edges.   :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 05:13:15 am by Pstylz »

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
18/08/2022 - UPDATE

Snuck a few more hours in today.
It's beginning to really look like an arcade machine now  :applaud:

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Nice work.
That's looking great.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Wow this is a super ambitious project.  I'll be following along.

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
04/09/2022 - UPDATE

Cut the wheel shape out of the control panel and attached the shifter housing.
Need to do a bit of sanding and work on the "Race Leader" marquee  :)

theolditguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2023, 02:39:20 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
This looks awesome so far! Question, are you planning on using WLED with software like LEDBlinky or just setting up profiles manually?

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
This looks awesome so far! Question, are you planning on using WLED with software like LEDBlinky or just setting up profiles manually?

Thanks mate  :)

I'll probably play around with a few ideas.
Initially, I think I will use WLED to control the colours.  WLED has HTTP API functionality so I can send colours or effects directly to each cabinet at game launch.

For example, when Daytona USA starts, I can send an HTTP API colour parameter to each WLED controller (via AHK) to set each cabinets LED colours to match the in-game car colour. (Cab 1=RED, Cab 2=BLUE, Cab 3=YELLOW, Cab 4=GREEN).
I'll also use the PAC DRIVE to "flash" these LED's for RACE LEADER, along with the dedicated RACE LEADER Marquee.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Impressive!
Wish I had room for racer cabs.  :'(
Following this project.

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
03/10/2022 - UPDATE

Sorry it's been a little while between updates, my son was born.
A little arcade gamer in the making 😉❤️🕹️🎮🚘🏎️

Managed to squeeze in a few hours recently (probably should have caught up on sleep haha).
Found a few challenges, especially with bevelled angles and not having the right tools/knowing how to use them properly. Also need to pick up a router to have a go at the T Molding and routing out where the "race leader" marquee will go.

I've added the marquee panels and hung the marquee screen.
I'm still playing around with the layout of the control panel and the positioning of the shifter.
There are sooooo many screws in this thing haha. Definitely a solid unit.

Not far from complete now. (Well the timber side of things anyway)
Need to hang the TV, add the race leader marquee and upper speaker panels, add the brake lights and a few minor touchups and then I'll probably pull it apart and stencil some some of the pieces and begin the 2nd cabinet and then apply paint.

Once I've completed two of them, I'll build the other two 🤪
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 09:18:47 am by Pstylz »

Greenman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2023, 03:59:00 am
  • Made in Australia
Looking awesome!

Will you have enough front screen width to allow access between seats for players 2 and 3?  Bit hard to see at this stage.  Any interest in running e-racing or project cars while you're at it?

Sides do look arcadie.  Well done on them!!   :cheers:

My previous projects:

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
Looking awesome!

Will you have enough front screen width to allow access between seats for players 2 and 3?  Bit hard to see at this stage.  Any interest in running e-racing or project cars while you're at it?

Sides do look arcadie.  Well done on them!!   :cheers:

Thanks mate :)

Good question.  I believe so, probably a tight squeeze, so im likely to group player 1 and 2 cabinets together and player 3 and 4 cabinets together so if you can't fit in-between the chairs, access can still be made from the outer sides.
I've got interest in everything :) so most probably.

Thank you! The sides were quite tricky to get right, but has a great "arcade" style effect once complete.

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
10/11/2022 - UPDATE

Hi all, so who would have thought that it'd be rather challenging to find the time to work on this project alongside a new born, a toddler and a full time job.... hahaha
I've had a fair bit of "thinking time" whilst working on the first cabinet and decided to redesign the base.
After putting the first one together (mostly) I felt the base was very square.  It also didn't allow me to add T-Molding to the edging similar to how I have designed for the upright part of the cabinet.
It also presented challenges for what I could use as the foot plate - checker plate became out of the question because there was no lip on the sides to place it between.
I've done a complete redesign of the base to allow for T-Molding, raised the sides 3mm all round to give it a lip which will also allow me to put some checker plate metal for the foot plates, made a cutout for the 10" Logitech Z5500 subwoofer (I'll put a grill over it) and made it a more polished looking finish.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:53:13 am by Pstylz »

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
10/11/2022 - UPDATE

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
13/11/2022 - UPDATE A

Somehow I managed to find sometime in-between family and work to smash out a few hours a night for the past few days.
Built up the footwell and managed to get the sides up too.  Wow the sides were challenging.  With my "revised" design, I'm trying to leave the outside of the panels as clean from screws as possible so it meant getting rather creative to hold the heavy side panels in place to measure out the support posts etc.  Measurements were taken and checked many times over, plus I had to make sure they matched on both sides and were level.  I have a new found love for my bar clamps :notworthy:

Side-note: for those of you following along, I apologise for the mess that is in the background of some of my photos.  I have limited opportunities to work on this project so unfortunately my cleanliness suffers.  :dizzy:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:41:45 am by Pstylz »

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
13/11/2022 - UPDATE B

The next challenging part was aligning the angled / beveled back panel, 2 angled panels and the top panel.  I had to get a little creative with the clamps again haha love those things!

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
13/11/2022 - UPDATE C

I Boxed in where the speakers will go on the front steering wheel control panel.  From experience on a previous project, I learnt the Logitech Z5500 4" speakers do not perform well unless they are enclosed.
Also put some time into the RACE LEADER marquee panels.  These were rather tricky as I have put them on 10degree angles (which inversely matches the steering wheel control panel).
I'd never used a router before but after a few practice cuts and assuring I had a guide set up correctly I was able to groove out where the RACE LEADER acrylic will go.
This will be 2 pieces of acrylic with the printed marquee between them.  Im using an opal coloured acrylic on the back to diffuse the LED light and clear on the front.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:56:33 am by Pstylz »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
are there supports in the middle under the MDF section for the seat?

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
are there supports in the middle under the MDF section for the seat?

Yeah, there will be a Logitech Z5500 10" subwoofer that will act as a middle support under the seat.  It's a very solid subwoofer box, so between that and the side supports and 18mm MDF, I think it'll be right but I'll be doing more of a stress test once it is complete 💪

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
17/11/2022 - UPDATE

Snuck in a few more hours this week.
Finished off the last piece of routing for the RACE LEADER marquee, which all slid in nicely.  Picked up the OPAL and CLEAR acrylic, just need to design the marquee now.  If anyone would like to help, please let me know  :notworthy:
I'm no genius when it comes to Photoshop  :banghead:  I also am thinking I'll need some assistance with the artwork for the sidepanels and base, but I'll get to that hurdle later  :P
Added the inside panel for the marquee speakers to create a "box" for better sound.
Mounted the top piece and fixed it in place.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 07:38:36 am by Pstylz »

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
21/11/2022 - UPDATE

Finished the top Marquee for the LG Ultrawide.  It's on about a 10degree angle.  Not sure if I'll fix it to the front or set it a few cms back.  Something I'll play around with.
Installed all 4 speakers - that fit like a glove.  I also ordered some 4" speaker covers from Aliexpress to cover them up.
I pulled apart a few Logitech Z5500 speakers - pretty easy process.
Mounted the buttons and went to work on cutting out the Triangle buttons - these were a little challenging and time consuming to get right.  Not a lot of room for error with these compared to square or round buttons.
Still need to fasten the seat, install the Logitech Z5500 subwoofer and perhaps add a few supports for it.
Also need to have a go at cutting out the T-Moulding groove - will probably do a few practice runs before I hit the main pieces.
Hopefully paint it all black soon and then investigate about designing some artwork.  :D :D :D :D :D :D

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Excellent project! Also, what is the brand of those seats?

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:04:15 pm
Any updates?  :)   

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
Excellent project! Also, what is the brand of those seats?

Thanks mate.  Here they are: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265236866204

Pstylz

• Offline Offline

Hoping to get back here for an update in the next week or two!
It's been a little challenging to find time to work on the project since my son was born, but I have been chipping away at it and collecting more parts for the other machines.
I've just about finished putting together the bulk of two machines.  Then I'll Router in the T-Moulding, wire it all up, then tear it down and paint.

I also am looking at vinyl stickers, especially for the side panels.
Not sure where to go for custom artwork though.

Any ideas?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Mate, this project's looking great! I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this. Wish I had the space for a sit down racer (not really the sort of thing that's compatible with a one bedroom apartment - even just my Barcade cabinet takes up tons of space in it)

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
Mate, this project's looking great! I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this. Wish I had the space for a sit down racer (not really the sort of thing that's compatible with a one bedroom apartment - even just my Barcade cabinet takes up tons of space in it)

Thanks mate. Yeah its an ambitious project.
Definitely takes up space!  My (messy) garage is full of MDF pieces all over the place.... oh and the MDF dust...arghhh... and that's before I've finished them haha.

I'm sorting out some checker plate metal for the base.
I'll also throw up an update again soon.

P.S. love your work and contribution to the arcade community on YouTube mate. Helped me with a few tips.  Good on ya!

Fursphere

• Offline Offline

It's been a little challenging to find time to work on the project since my son was born, but I have been chipping away at it and collecting more parts for the other machines.
I've just about finished putting together the bulk of two machines.  Then I'll Router in the T-Moulding, wire it all up, then tear it down and paint.

Any ideas?

I hear ya.   I built my first stand up arcade machine when my son was around 1 and that was a challenge.   Then my first driving cab when he was about 3.  I'm getting ready to start a twin racer build myself. 

For Artwork, have you seen gbeef's cabinet?   http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,111231.0/all.html    Not sure who he had print it, but it turned out amazing.  Sadly I ended up having to break down my cabinet before I got to artwork.  It was just painted. 

You may want to consider adding in access hatches.   In the rear of the head, I'd put a door or at least removable furniture screws so you can get in there easy.   And I plan on making my new bases have the seat back flip up hinge style so I can put things like amps in the base cavity.  I think I've decided on using the Daytona cabinet as my base model for the twin (vs the Sega Racing Classic style that I originally built, inspired by gbeef's cab), and plan on putting the PCs behind the LCD monitors in the heads - which means I need to way to get access to them.  And lots of cable routing!  So many cables.

Anyway, great progress.  Can't wait to see more!

Pstylz

• Offline Offline

Any ideas?

I hear ya.   I built my first stand up arcade machine when my son was around 1 and that was a challenge.   Then my first driving cab when he was about 3.  I'm getting ready to start a twin racer build myself. 

For Artwork, have you seen gbeef's cabinet?   http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,111231.0/all.html    Not sure who he had print it, but it turned out amazing.  Sadly I ended up having to break down my cabinet before I got to artwork.  It was just painted. 

You may want to consider adding in access hatches.   In the rear of the head, I'd put a door or at least removable furniture screws so you can get in there easy.   And I plan on making my new bases have the seat back flip up hinge style so I can put things like amps in the base cavity.  I think I've decided on using the Daytona cabinet as my base model for the twin (vs the Sega Racing Classic style that I originally built, inspired by gbeef's cab), and plan on putting the PCs behind the LCD monitors in the heads - which means I need to way to get access to them.  And lots of cable routing!  So many cables.

Anyway, great progress.  Can't wait to see more!

Twin racer project will be a lot of fun when you get around to it.  I've definitely found it challenging to find the time, but things have settled now, so I've been putting in some more time   :D :D :D

Thanks for the tip - gbeef's cab is pretty impressive, especially for a build that was over 10 years ago! 

I hear ya about the access hatches.... probably something I'll add later as I haven't decided where I'll store all the parts (PC, power, etc).  I was thinking of using the base for all of this and the foot plate will be removeable but that all depends on heat and cooling.  I've finished building (mostly) the cabinets so I'll be fitting out the parts shortly which I'm pretty excited to do.

I personally loved the original Daytona USA style cabinet, it brought back so much Arcade nostalgia, thats why I opted that style.
Good Luck for when you begin your build!

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
16/03/2023 - UPDATE

Apologies as it's been a while between updates - been a busy few months.  :dizzy:
I'll give you guys a basic breakdown of what I have been working on:

CABINETS
So I've just about finished building two of the cabinets.  I pulled them both down and added the T-Molding groove - that was a bit of a stressful job as I've never used a router before (other than cutting out the Race Leader groove).  It turned out pretty good and its in the centre lol, so thats a win! haha.  In hindsight, I should have added the T-Molding groove as I was going, but I wasn't confident with the router yet nor certain on what actually needed the groove until the cabinet was finished.

SPEAKERS
I pulled apart the Logitech Z5500 speaker case(s), took the speaker out and then mounted them in the cabinet.  Pretty simple process to take the speakers out.  4 speakers in total for each cabinet, all on a 15degree angle towards the player.
I added the big subwoofer grill which is a much nicer finish than just a big hole lol.  The Logitech Z5500 subwoofer/amplifier fits in perfectly.  There's a bit of room there too, so hopefully heat wont be an issue, that will be something I will test later.

SHIFTER
I built the 4 speed HAPP Shifter holder, not entirely sure about it yet.  I angled it slightly downward for a comfortable fit which works well, but the design is rather "boxy" so I'll hit it with the sander on the edges and see what happens.

BASE
I'll be picking up some 2.5mm checker plate Aluminium sheet to add to the base next week.

TV BEZEL
I have a few adjustments to make for the TV bezel and need to find a secure way to fasten it.  Fortunately when you open the TV and remove all the unnecessary parts (speakers, support brackets) it's actually very light so I may not need to create a VESA mount as well.  Should be safe enough to fasten the TV to the TV bezel itself.

LED LIGHTS
I decided to change from my original idea of solid strip colour 5050 RGB LED Strip to individually addressable WS2812B LED Strips.  I'm going to use one ESP32 board and flash it with WLED - because I am nottttttt (yet) skilled in the way of Arduino haha.  With WLED I can send specific commands via JSON or HTTP API to change the colours and even individually control each strip.  I'm looking to have a long U shape strip underneath the cabinet, individual ones on each side of the cabinet, one in the footwell and perhaps on the back of the unit. 
The WLED controller will also be sound reactive so I can turn that feature on/off - for example, during attract mode.
I also purchased some "ring" style LED's that I can hopefully fit inside the speaker covers - this will be something to play with later down the track.
I'm not experienced with WLED or WS2812B addressable LEDs, but I'm looking forward to the challenge of figuring it all out.  From the tutorials I've seen on YouTube, I "should" be able to make it all work.

ELECTRICAL AND PARTS
So far I've picked up:
  • terminal strips
  • I have some spare 4 core 15AWG wire which I can use for LED's and just about any power requirement.  It's handy that it's 4 core so I can manage the wires neatly
  • fused power plug port
  • USB (dual) D Type socket
  • LAN D Type socket
  • All arcade buttons
  • Rear brake lights
  • Rear license plate light
  • Z5500 converter cable
  • Speaker covers
  • Cable ties
  • Mounting Feet
  • LED mounts
  • 120mm fans
  • 80mm Tacho

TO DO NEXT
  • Cutting out and adding the checker plate sheeting to the base
  • Finish TV Bezel and mount
  • Install LED strips
  • Install PC and parts
  • Wire it all up  >:D >:D >:D

I'll be adding regular updates as I complete each task  ;D :pics

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
05/04/2023 - UPDATE

So.......electrical ehhhh?!..... well, found a few challenges here !  :banghead:   :banghead:   :banghead:   :dizzy:
Firstly, to give you context - there are 5 independently controlled WS2812 LED "strips".  These are each connected to a specific GPIO pin on an ESP32 with WLED software controlling the LEDs.

- Race Leader
 - Left Side (under side panel)
 - Right Side (under side panel)
 - Pedals (footwell)
 - Base
 - (soon to add circle WS2812s around speakers also)

My "idea" was to use MAMEHOOKER and PACDRIVE and a RELAY BOARD to:
 - Switch ON/OFF the lights from game outputs
 - Send JSON API POST commands to WLED to change colour / change effect / make sound reactive

So as an example, when Daytona USA boots up, MAMEHOOKER will set up all LED strips as following:
 - Race Leader = White + max brightness
 - Left Side, Right side, Pedals, Base = PLAYER Colour + max brightness - i.e Player 3 would be YELLOW

THE CHALLENGES......
The above seemed like a pretty good idea at the time - it would mean I could freely change all aspects of each strip independently as well as using OUTPUTS from games to control features.
First issue was the RELAY BOARD - not sure how I forgot about the "clicking" a relay makes when switching ON/OFF  :banghead:  so you could imagine how loud that was when the RACE LEADER strip was flashing.  So I had to scrap the relay board.
I'm not sure I can connect the WS2812 negative to the PACDRIVE (to get the same outcome as the RELAY BOARD) as I'm not sure if the current would be too high - the LED strips are independently powered by a 5v power supply and I think I would need to ground that 5v power supply to the ground on the PACDRIVE also.....?
So until I'm sure I can safely ground the 5v power supply to the PACDRIVE my alternate solution is to connect power for the LED strips directly to the 5V power supply and use JSON API POST commands to WLED to control the strips ON/OFF / Colours / etc.

^this seems to have worked, however, I feel there is a bit of a delay between MAMEHOOKER detecting an output from the game, sending the command to WLED and then the LED strip updating.  I need to do more testing here. 
Ideally, I'd like to hook the negative wire of each LED strip directly to the PACDRIVE (as long as it is safe to connect the ground of the 5V power supply to the ground on the PACDRIVE) - that way the PACDRIVE can do the ON/OFF switching instantly.

I also had significant grounding issues with the LED strips.  I purchased extra 3 pin male and female connectors and soldered them to the LED strips for easy connect/disconnect but they were useless.  Some LED strips were acting like they did not ground correctly or signals were being interrupted as some of the LED strips didnt seem to be able to hold the selected colour.  Took a lot of head scratching to figure this out.  So I changed them all out and soldered stronger more insulated connectors.  I seem to still get some of the LED's dropping in and out though which is puzzling.  I feel it is a grounding issue.  More testing required here.

I've wired up all the buttons and button lights.
I mounted the 4 speed HAPP Shifter (took a few goes to be happy with the positioning of it) and wired it up to the Zero Delay USB encoder
Works like a charm!  :applaud:

On another note, I received the checker plate aluminum sheet and cut it to size - really makes for a nice finish.

I'll post some photos later today   ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 09:54:15 am by Pstylz »

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
05/04/2023 - UPDATE

Here are some progress shots of the electrical work so far.  (Dont judge the wiring just yet  :dizzy:  I still have to tear down the cabinets and paint them - I'll neaten up the wiring then)
I've also fitted the checker plate aluminum sheet  :)
It's looking like I may have just about all the components, computer, etc positioned behind the control panel (if it all fits).  I was originally going to put them all in the base, but I found this area pretty good for access.

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
05/04/2023 - UPDATE
I have some exciting newssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!  :cheers: :applaud:
I managed to get a physical tacho working with SEGA RACING CLASSIC (Daytona USA remake)

There was quite a bit of trial and error here..... I'd never worked with an Arduino before but I enjoyed the challenge very much!
Boomslangnz's OUTPUT BLASTER sends the RPM signal as a value between 0 and 100 (mamehooker appears to not work with any value above a byte eg 255 so the RPM was divided by 100, eg, 6700RPM = 67).
MAMEHOOKER sends this via the COM PORT to the Arduino, where it then does some math and sends "pulses" to the tacho to display the value.

Here is a quick video during the build of my 4P Arcade Racers showing that I successfully got a Tacho working with SEGA Racing Classic (TeknoParrot).
Massive thanks to Boomslangnz for taking the time to find the RPM output which I use MAMEHOOKER (Howard_Casto) to send the output to an Arduino which then communicates to the tachometer.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 10:15:29 am by Pstylz »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
Very cool.    :applaud:

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:10:47 pm
Oh wow this is so impressive!

I am glad to find some more people doing the race leader lights. I just got my led strip (ws2812b) programmed to an Arduino nano. I have it so 61x makes it all green, 51x all blue, 41x all red, 31x rainbow, 21x dancing green, etc. That way each player and even game is easily configurable in the mamehooker ini and you just change the value sent. My test of San Francisco Rush the Rock had the race leader light come on right away. I can send the code here soon if you want to rule out an Arduino code issue or a hardware issue for why your race leader light has a small delay. It took me a while to get it programmed and thankfully gpt4 was very helpful.

What games are you using with race leader lights?

Pstylz

• Offline Offline

I am glad to find some more people doing the race leader lights. I just got my led strip (ws2812b) programmed to an Arduino nano. I have it so 61x makes it all green, 51x all blue, 41x all red, 31x rainbow, 21x dancing green, etc. That way each player and even game is easily configurable in the mamehooker ini and you just change the value sent. My test of San Francisco Rush the Rock had the race leader light come on right away. I can send the code here soon if you want to rule out an Arduino code issue or a hardware issue for why your race leader light has a small delay. It took me a while to get it programmed and thankfully gpt4 was very helpful.

Thanks mate!

I love the Race Leader lights along with any game that can have an output translated to a physical LED - it's a lot of the reason I wanted to take on this project.
I appreciate the tip using an Arduino Nano.  I think my issue has been from using an ESP32 - from reading specs and so fourth, I think my issue is that the data wire needs a 5V signal and I'm barely getting 2+.  I tried to use a Level Shifter, but couldn't get a solid 5v from the ESP32 for the high power, got around this by using the 5v from the power supply but then found the ESP32 couldn't supply a 3.3v either.
I've ended up buying a couple of https://quinled.info/quinled-dig-octa-brainboard-32-8l/ which have built in level shifters, so I hope this solves my LED issues.

I love that you have San Francisco Rush the Rock working - I hope I can get the original working via LAN also.

Regarding Games with Race Leader outputs, this is what I have learnt so far:

Daytona Championship USAOriginal hardware uses a second screen called a "billboard" to show race leader and race stats. It's powered by a Rasp Pi - I don’t think this will be available unfortunately
Dirty Drivin'Need to play around with this one – it appears like some of the outputs "flash" when you are in front
Hyperdrive H2OYES
Sega Racing Classic (Daytona USA 1)YES
Sonic All Stars RacingYES - not positive about this one
Storm Racer Gbillboard lamp output - more testing needed
Daytona USA 2 - PEYES
Dirt DevilsYES
Scud RacingYES
Sega Rally 2YES
Daytona USAYES
OutrunnersYES
VirtuaRacing12347=digit1=0 - more testing needed
Rad RacingThere is a "Winner" output - more testing needed
Rad Racing12355=out7=0 - more testing needed

jorgenjl2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 07:10:47 pm

Thanks mate!

I love the Race Leader lights along with any game that can have an output translated to a physical LED - it's a lot of the reason I wanted to take on this project.
I appreciate the tip using an Arduino Nano.  I think my issue has been from using an ESP32 - from reading specs and so fourth, I think my issue is that the data wire needs a 5V signal and I'm barely getting 2+.  I tried to use a Level Shifter, but couldn't get a solid 5v from the ESP32 for the high power, got around this by using the 5v from the power supply but then found the ESP32 couldn't supply a 3.3v either.
I've ended up buying a couple of https://quinled.info/quinled-dig-octa-brainboard-32-8l/ which have built in level shifters, so I hope this solves my LED issues.

I love that you have San Francisco Rush the Rock working - I hope I can get the original working via LAN also.

Regarding Games with Race Leader outputs, this is what I have learnt so far:

Daytona Championship USAOriginal hardware uses a second screen called a "billboard" to show race leader and race stats. It's powered by a Rasp Pi - I don’t think this will be available unfortunately
Dirty Drivin'Need to play around with this one – it appears like some of the outputs "flash" when you are in front
Hyperdrive H2OYES
Sega Racing Classic (Daytona USA 1)YES
Sonic All Stars RacingYES - not positive about this one
Storm Racer Gbillboard lamp output - more testing needed
Daytona USA 2 - PEYES
Dirt DevilsYES
Scud RacingYES
Sega Rally 2YES
Daytona USAYES
OutrunnersYES
VirtuaRacing12347=digit1=0 - more testing needed
Rad RacingThere is a "Winner" output - more testing needed
Rad Racing12355=out7=0 - more testing needed

Yeah this is pretty awesome to get all these race leader lights working!

SF Rush, Rush the Rock and Rush 2049 work great with the race leader light. The problem with Rush (my favorite racing game) is that the LAN version only works for 15 to 99% of the way through a race before it crashes one of the players games. The other issue is that Windows 10 cannot programmatically enable and disable the TAP VPN (needed to play the Rushes and California Speed currently) since Microsoft has not added the ability and turning the tap adapter on manually loses network for the other lan games. I started looking into programs that can do gui mouse clicks (literally programmatically clicking on parts of the screen and mimicking what you do with your mouse) but I gave up hoping a Mame dev would fix the Rush LAN at some point. That or Cruis’n USA would be my two favorite games that need to be linkable.

Pstylz

• Offline Offline

Yeah this is pretty awesome to get all these race leader lights working!

SF Rush, Rush the Rock and Rush 2049 work great with the race leader light. The problem with Rush (my favorite racing game) is that the LAN version only works for 15 to 99% of the way through a race before it crashes one of the players games. The other issue is that Windows 10 cannot programmatically enable and disable the TAP VPN (needed to play the Rushes and California Speed currently) since Microsoft has not added the ability and turning the tap adapter on manually loses network for the other lan games. I started looking into programs that can do gui mouse clicks (literally programmatically clicking on parts of the screen and mimicking what you do with your mouse) but I gave up hoping a Mame dev would fix the Rush LAN at some point. That or Cruis’n USA would be my two favorite games that need to be linkable.

Shame the LAN is not stable yet - I loved playing these games in the arcade and really want them on my cabinets.
Regarding programs/macro creators to automate turning on/off TAP VPN adapter, have you had a look at Pulover's Macro Creator?: https://www.macrocreator.com/
It's pretty good at picking up mouse clicks/movements etc and creating Macro's and exporting to AHK.

Pstylz

• Offline Offline

So it turns out, because I am independently connecting the LED strips to different GPIO pins on the ESP32, the data voltage for each pin output was too low (sometimes as low as 1.9 volts) so the data line could not send/hold the colours.
I got around this by purchasing a QuinLED-Dig-Octa System Brainboard and now all LED strips work as expected  :applaud:  https://quinled.info/quinled-dig-octa-brainboard-32-8l/

So I'm controlling all LED strips (currently 5) via WLED and selecting the colours/effects using a JSON API command.  The WLED JSON API is instant and works really well.  :applaud:  (although teaching myself how to write JSON using curl.exe for Windows has been a little challenging  :banghead: )
For Example,
RACE LEADER LAMPS:  I'm using MAMEHOOKER to send a ON/OFF (1/0) to an AHK script which sends a WLED JSON API command to turn ON/OFF the LED strip and set the colour to White.

Once a Game is selected in BigBox, my GameStart AHK script identifies the player and the game and sends a colour or effect to each particular cabinet's LED strips on game start.
For example, Sega Racing Classic:
Player 1 is RED
Player 2 is BLUE
Player 3 is YELLOW
Player 4 is GREEN
Later down the track, I'll add a few LED strips around the speakers which will be sound reactive also.
I've got lots of playing around to do with WLED   :dizzy:

blastone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2023, 08:04:57 pm
Your project looks amazing! I'm doing something similar as well... my image is attached.

I was going to ask you how you got your steering wheel cutout so nice... I'm about to embark on that phase myself next.

When it comes to the decals I can probably help out as well :) I'll be making a set for mine eventually so can extend to fit yours easily enough

Did you end up hooking the VR buttons to the right lights as well?

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
I was going to ask you how you got your steering wheel cutout so nice... I'm about to embark on that phase myself next.

Not sure how the OP did it, but search Amazon or Google for a tool called a "Contour Gauge".  Makes copying contours pretty easy.  Cheap too.

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
Your project looks amazing! I'm doing something similar as well... my image is attached.

When it comes to the decals I can probably help out as well :) I'll be making a set for mine eventually so can extend to fit yours easily enough

Did you end up hooking the VR buttons to the right lights as well?

G'day mate,
Sorry for the delay - been a hectic month (year actually)  :dizzy:
Thanks buddy.  I just keep chipping away when I get an opportunity between work, two kids and a wife  :banghead:
Awesome work there mate!  There is something about the Daytona USA cabinet style that is so nostalgic to me!  Love it!

Regarding the steering wheel cut, my version 1 and 2 were completely by hand with a jigsaw but it just wasn't quite the finish I was looking for, so I took my design and re-imagined it in Fusion360 and then got it CNC cut.  :applaud:
The CNC cut version really makes for a nice finish.

Yeah I'm using a PACDRIVE + MameHooker which controls LEDs for:
  • Start
  • Coin
  • View 1 (Red)
  • View 2 (Blue)
  • View 3 (Yellow)
  • View 4 (Green)
  • Vol Up
  • Vol Down
  • Brake Lights

How are you going with your Decals?  I've done a bit of playing around in photoshop, but it's difficult to find hi-res images from a game originally made in 1994  :o
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 11:10:19 pm by Pstylz »

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
I'm also finding it tricky to decide which colour to do the side panel??  :dizzy:

Burnt Orange   OR   Candy Apple Red  ?

Don't forget to vote at the top of this thread!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 05:43:28 am by Pstylz »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
If you figure out the color codes for the original cabinets, please pass them along!   Seems to be a tightly held secret.  lol

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
If you figure out the color codes for the original cabinets, please pass them along!   Seems to be a tightly held secret.  lol

Yep!  It is a tightly held secret lol!  As much as I have scoured the internet and forums, I can't get the answer!   :dunno

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
06/06/2023 - UPDATE

Hey all 👋
Quick update - I've added a few hardware bits and pieces and have done a fair amount of work on the software.

I've recently added 4x sound reactive LED rings using QuinLED dig2go controllers (as demonstrated in the video and currently on PLAYER 1 only)

I use PLAYER1 to control and select the game for both cabinets via BIGBOX (rather than independent BIGBOX apps running on each machine) this way they sync up nicely when starting a game.
I also managed to get BIGBOX to send the game title from PLAYER 1 (when scrolling through the menu) to PLAYER 2 this means that I can control game selection via BIGBOX on PLAYER 1 and "sync" PLAYER 1 and PLAYER 2 Marquee Display and Main Display game artwork and videos 😍😍😍 it activates/updates relatively fast - more on this at a later date.

I'm working on the Artwork now (not my strong suit) but will hopefully figure it out soon.

When I have the artwork and they're ready for paint, I will do a tear down video and go through the build, the parts and the design process.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline

Yep!  It is a tightly held secret lol!  As much as I have scoured the internet and forums, I can't get the answer!   :dunno

The seat number stickers probably have the right color 'red' on them.   You could order a set them use those to match the color.    The first link claims to be color matched against originals.

https://arcadeartrepro.com/product/daytona-usa-seat-numbers/
https://www.escapepodonline.com/products/daytona-usa-seat-decals

blastone

• Offline Offline
Heres a sidepanel I did in photoshop. All grids and logos are vector smart objects and the gradient is a layer so can scale as big as needed

bkong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 12:16:00 am
Super impressed with this project, its all coming together beautifully. Always good to see left hand shifter from another Aussie.

Have you had any luck getting the tacho to work for many other classic arcade racers?

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
Heres a sidepanel I did in photoshop. All grids and logos are vector smart objects and the gradient is a layer so can scale as big as needed

Fantastic work mate!!  :applaud:  From the looks of your Photoshop file, you are far more experienced than I.

I too had a go at manipulating a hi-res image (see attached) and sourced some slightly different logo's than original - I also decided to remove some of the pink from the top and bottom of the checkered flag.
(The logo's are "movable" in the PSD file (attached) to help if you have curves in the side panels)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 12:34:22 am by Pstylz »

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
Super impressed with this project, its all coming together beautifully. Always good to see left hand shifter from another Aussie.

Have you had any luck getting the tacho to work for many other classic arcade racers?

Thanks mate!  Yep, shifter on the left  :cheers:
Yes actually!  The Tacho output also now works with:
  • Daytona Championship USA
  • Sega Rally 3
  • Outrun 2 SPX DX

I'm in the process of selling my home, so the project has had to go on hold for a little while, fingers crossed the house sells in the next month and then I can paint them, sticker them and showcase them  >:D

blastone

• Offline Offline
Can't wait to see yours painted. I've started painting mine as well, its definitely a process
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 02:49:00 am by blastone »

blastone

• Offline Offline
Also if you want to upscale those side images before printing this AI image upscaler is pretty astonishing
https://deep-image.ai/

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
Can't wait to see yours painted. I've started painting mine as well, its definitely a process

Good luck with painting mate! Definitely going to be a bit of a mission.

Pstylz

• Offline Offline
Also if you want to upscale those side images before printing this AI image upscaler is pretty astonishing
https://deep-image.ai/

Thanks for the tip! I'm looking forward to playing around with this!!