Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sony Trinitron V36-FS210 CRT Emudriver & VMMaker Issue  (Read 1084 times)

Amon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2022, 03:24:33 am
  • Digital Display Calibrator and Analog Newbie
Sony Trinitron V36-FS210 CRT Emudriver & VMMaker Issue
« on: July 06, 2022, 11:17:30 pm »
Hi,
I'm trying to setup Mame on a Trinitron and unable to get a stable image with readable geometry and the sync seems off, but I don't know the difference from porch to pulse, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I followed this guide and having issues during step 2:
https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1054#p1054
After enabling EDID emulation for Type 'Arcade 15.7 kHz - standard resolution' or 'NTSC TV - 60 Hz/525', the image appears to be like a jagged wave that refreshes vertically slowly.
I tried with two different cards - 5850 and 5450. I also tried two chains:
5450 with crt emudriver-> vga to SCART cable -> RetroTINK RGB2COMP -> component -> TV
5450 with crt emudriver -> vga to vga -> Extron RGB 203 Rxi -> bnc to SCART ->  RetroTINK RGB2COMP -> component -> TV
Also tried with 'Enable Composite Sync' and 'Disable Composite Sync' in VMMaker. All produced the jagged wave image.

This is Windows 7 Pro OS and CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Crimson 16.2.1 non-GCN* cards).

Additionally, I have a Mister and this chain produces a stable picture:
Mister -> vga to SCART cable -> RetroTINK RGB2COMP -> component -> TV

Do I need a RGB2COMP transcoder with better sync handling? Are there timings I can copy over to monitor.ini that may work? I have found Trinitron timings on this forum for VMMaker.ini but that file appears to be
deprecated in the VMMaker I'm using. Looking for guidance here. Thanks.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Sony Trinitron V36-FS210 CRT Emudriver & VMMaker Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 04:35:26 am »
I've had nothing but issues with 5000 series video cards, but I have always been working with Win10.

You certainly appear to have a sync issue and you may be going too deep actually.
Sony Trinitrons are all sync on green as far as I know, but I believe PVMs have a switch to sync externally.
Unsure what unit you are using.

If you pull a log then Calamity will almost certainly be able to help.

I have Trinis working with Extron VSCs and GreenAntz boards on different machines and all have stable and nice looking pictures.

With the Extron in-line already do you even need the retrotink?
Have you tried withoit the Retrotink and setting your Extron to sync on green?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 06:01:52 pm »
do an rgb mod to it, use a simple rgb vga brekout cable, get sync from yellow composite and you be good o go

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 06:53:54 pm »
I think your sync has been lost along the way, either with cabling, the Extron or the transcoder.

GreenAntz would solve this sync problem for you. It takes your standard PC sync (H+V or Csync), reforms it into a clean composite sync using XNOR logic and some filtering+trimming, then injects that csync, at right levels, into the Y (green) signal.

With GreenAntz, your component TV be like an RGB TV or arcade monitor.

GreenAntz was designed for applications like CRTEMU + component CRT TV. Also works with consoles, game PCBs, etc.

No need for extrons or hacking cables. No need for RGB modding. GreenAntz uses common/standard/inexpensive cables that you probably already have. A male VGA to male VGA, component video cables, and a USB-C charge cable.
Check out my completed projects!

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 08:31:03 pm »
Buy a GreenAntz from Zebidee.
I have them running old TVs (including the dreaded Trinitron!) in three cabinets now and they simply work.
Plug and play!

Literally...
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.