Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Converting mk2 to mame  (Read 1109 times)

Medic7000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2022, 11:13:55 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Converting mk2 to mame
« on: July 04, 2022, 03:01:39 pm »
Hello I tried asking for help in another forum and just got shamed for this idea. I have a mk2 and bought a different control panel and plan to preserve original hardware in case I want to convert it back. My current plan is to hook up a pc to the crt. My current crt has an isolation transformer. I'm not sure what the best way of doing this and hope I can get some help. I'm not sure how I can power the crt monitor. I feel the pcb doesn't need to be on since I won't be using it? Would I need to when turning on the pc, also turn on the cabinet to power the crt monitor? I then feel the pc doesn't need to be turned on so should I unplug the power to it somehow? Not sure what would be the best way to achieve my goal. Help on this conversion would be great as I'm just getting hate for this project.

gamer83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2022, 05:50:54 pm
Re: Converting mk2 to mame
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 09:00:33 pm »
People get upset when working original cabinets get taken apart to make a mame cab, its about preserving the original hardware because there is only so many out there. As for your situation, the easiest way for you to power a pc is with a power bar. Plug the mains AC end of the transformer and pc into the power bar then wire the power bar to the cabinet switch. Dont power the monitor with anything other than the isolated 120v from the transformer. Youre also going to need an ATI video card and CRT emudriver  to send the correct 15khz signal to the monitor. Just take your time and do a lot of reading and research before you really dig in to the project, especially when it comes to high voltage electronics like a CRT monitor.

dchase

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2022, 05:13:35 am
  • -Banned-
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 10:20:15 am »
A PC with a JPAC is just another JAMMA device. There's no difference between plugging that into a cabinet than there is plugging different arcade boards into it. Anyone who says otherwise is a tard.
-Banned-

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:18:46 am
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 11:24:10 am »
...Anyone who says otherwise is a tard.

How old are you anyway? Is not 8chan or whatever, you can't go around this forum saying ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- like that. Not OK.

Hello I tried asking for help in another forum and just got shamed for this idea.

watch out, happens here too.

My current plan is to hook up a pc to the crt. My current crt has an isolation transformer. I'm not sure what the best way of doing this and hope I can get some help. I'm not sure how I can power the crt monitor.

Leave the ISO transformer alone.

I feel the pcb doesn't need to be on since I won't be using it?

Disconnect the DC power supply. You can remove and safely store the PCB if you like.

Would I need to when turning on the pc, also turn on the cabinet to power the crt monitor? I then feel the pc doesn't need to be turned on so should I unplug the power to it somehow?

Power the monitor from the arcade cab power plug/ISO, and power the PC from a separate power plug.

Use a JPAC to connect your 15khz PC to the JAMMA.

Use CRT_emulator and Groovymame.

Use search function or Google for more.
Check out my completed projects!

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 06:43:02 pm »
Anyone who says otherwise is a tard.

http://new.arcadecontrols.com/arcade_message_rules.html

1. Be nice to each other. We're serious about this one. Disagree, debate, argue at will - but please be respectful. Messages that are flame-bait, hateful, racist, or otherwise pointlessly antagonistic will likely be sent to post-hell, and repeat offenders banned from posting.

---- saint
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com