Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: U-HID issue  (Read 1169 times)

spisi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 09:26:50 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
U-HID issue
« on: June 29, 2022, 08:36:05 pm »
It's been awhile....where do I start.

So, I made an add-on driving cabinet that I attach to my main cabinet using a U-HID. The add-on cabinet has three interchangeable panels (Spy Hunter, 720 and a two optical steering wheel se-up (Sprint)).
Everything WAS working just great for awhile. Out of nowhere the Spy Hunter set up stops working. Not one button. While the other two set ups are still working fine.  Now, setting up the Spy Hunter controls was a bear to say the least! There are just so many wires, so many tiny little wires that attach to the U-HID. I'm not sure what controls what at this point. So my question is: Is there a way so that when I press some of my working buttons that I can find out where that exact wire is on the U-HID? Then I can start eliminating the working ones. I don't know where to start troubleshooting. My eyesight ain't what it used to be and everything is so small...

spisi

• Offline Offline
Re: U-HID issue
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 10:01:11 am »
Could one bad ground knock out the whole set-up?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 11:32:59 am »
Could one bad ground knock out the whole set-up?
It could if you have all of the button and potentiometer grounds connected to one ground pin on the U-HID.

With power off:
- Set your multimeter to continuity/Ohms.
- Connect the black lead to the outer shell of the U-HID's USB connector. (ground)
- Touch the red lead to each tab on the buttons and each outer lead on the pots.
-- You should get continuity (<2 Ohms) on one tab of each button and one of the outer leads on each pot.
-- If you don't get continuity on any of those, you have a broken ground wire.  Look for the daisy-chained ground wire and trace it back toward the U-HID.

Scott

spisi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 11:58:10 am »
I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

spisi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 12:54:33 pm »
It took awhile for me to get a chance to look at it, but sure as @#!@ there was a loose ground. Thank you!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 04:08:31 pm »
Glad to assist.   :cheers:

Scott