Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vintage BMX bike: How'd I do  (Read 1771 times)

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 11:47:03 am
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
Vintage BMX bike: How'd I do
« on: June 28, 2022, 09:02:49 pm »
Been wanting a vintage Mongoose BMX bike for the wifey and I to enjoy.  Wondering how I did on this purchase.  I don't see them typically go for this cheap but maybe its because it is a bit of a mix of brands and different bikes and not strictly Mongoose?  (the wifey sure won't care)  Not sure.  What do the experts say?  I'm in it for $593 with tax and shipping.  Guess it doesn't matter at this point but I do like it when I get a deal and it's not the end of the world if I came up with the short end of the stick on this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275358345030

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 11:58:47 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Vintage BMX bike: How'd I do
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 04:47:01 am »
Looks in great shape for a chromoly survivor of the era!

My buddy Tom had one that same frame set.
Memory betrays me on the maker of the bars and it seems like that seat wound up on everybody's bike eventually at some point, but those Bear trap style pedals took a lot of skin out of my shins BITD.
 :lol

Funny, because my (considerably more humble- and heavier) Diamond Back Viper had the same rear dropouts I believe.

Man, what a great time to be a kid that was.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

J_K_M_A_N

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:32:47 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 07:28:57 am »
Very nice! Makes me really miss my Skyway TA I had.   :hissy:  I loved that bike. It was strong but light. I had the KKT Lightning pedals (that also took a lot of skin). It was a racing bike but I beat the heck out of it on trails and jumps. Sigh...the gold ole days.

J_K_M_A_N

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:40:07 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 08:23:22 am »
I think so long as the frame is Mongoose it will be fine. Then you can enjoy tracking down all the missing genuine peripherals.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 08:55:44 pm by danny_galaga »

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

whammoed

• Offline Offline
    • NiceMite
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 09:07:20 am »
Looks in great shape for a chromoly survivor of the era!

My buddy Tom had one that same frame set.
Memory betrays me on the maker of the bars and it seems like that seat wound up on everybody's bike eventually at some point, but those Bear trap style pedals took a lot of skin out of my shins BITD.
 :lol

Funny, because my (considerably more humble- and heavier) Diamond Back Viper had the same rear dropouts I believe.

Man, what a great time to be a kid that was.

Yeah, my elementary school raffled a Redline BMX back in the 80's one year.  EVERYONE wanted to win that thing.

whammoed

• Offline Offline
    • NiceMite
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 09:10:17 am »
I think so long as the frame is Mongoose it will be fine. Then you can enjoy teaching down all the missing genuine peripherals.

That's what I was thinking if it even matters to us.  The recent Mongoose remakes of the Supergoose and California Special go for at least $750 plus shipping so for an original I figure it's pretty good.