Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question for you Tully build guys (looking at you javeryh)  (Read 1047 times)

LTC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 11:10:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Question for you Tully build guys (looking at you javeryh)
« on: June 26, 2022, 11:56:04 pm »
Will a 17" CRT fit in a "Tully" cab vertically? I have a nice 17" CRT PC monitor and a sheet of 3/4" plywood (pre pandemic purchase). I think I want to add a Qbert to my game room. Will it fit?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:33:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Question for you Tully build guys (looking at you javeryh)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 09:51:05 am »
Just make the cab wide enough to fit the monitor you want to use.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 03:07:37 pm »
... probably? To be certain, you need to draw up some rough plans, get your tape measure out, and maybe apply some simple triangulation (Pythagoras, the hypotenuse is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares, that stuff) to see if the neck/back of the CRT will fit. How far the CRT neck sticks out the back matters, so does the monitor screen angle.
Check out my completed projects!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 08:02:04 pm »
My guess is very very likely but it will be extremely tight and you may have to make the screen lay a little more flat so you can squeeze the neck in.  I fit a vertical 17" LCD in mine but it was a pretty tight fit and only left around 5.5" for the control panel.  But due to the top down view, I think the CRT would probably fit assuming it was decased.  However, I also modified the Tully plans to make the top angle 90 degrees instead of the more severe angle of the original design (I actually based mine off of markc74's plans posted HERE).

I would definitely take Zeb's advice and measure it out first.  If you have some cardboard laying around, use that for a mockup.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 12:38:03 am »
I think it could work. Mine are both 13 inch so you can kinda get the idea of the space. You would need to lay it more flat and lower it cutting into your limited cp space. Might not have enough room left to mount the stick. I probably wouldn't go bigger than 15".

LTC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 11:10:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 06:31:16 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys. My two concerns were enough space left for the CP and neck.