Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is this multicade PC hardware too slow?  (Read 1172 times)

Maxforwardspeed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2023, 08:27:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Is this multicade PC hardware too slow?
« on: May 25, 2022, 12:54:13 pm »
Just bought a custom multicade a few months ago and am wondering if I should look into higher spec hardware.

CPU: AMD A10-7800 3.5Ghz 4-core APU
RAM: 8GB DDR3, over clocked to 2133Mhz

Every game in MAME runs very well, except for Time Crisis. That one struggles with choppy frame skipping. HLSL is enabled also, which I heard can be problematic. N64 and Nintendo Game cube run a little rough at times also.

Would more processing power fix all of this?
I've seen some decent pricing on last gen i7 and motherboard combos, but I'd also need the newer ram and more powerful PSU. The cost starts going way up, and am unsure how much of a difference those upgrades will make for the small percentage of games that seem to struggle.

Oh, I'll be adding 2 Sinden lightguns soon too, and am hoping my current setup can handle that too!

slybunda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 04:16:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Is this multicade PC hardware too slow?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 04:52:34 am »
Opengl issues with amd graphics is the big worry.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Is this multicade PC hardware too slow?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 08:16:34 am »
Get a 6th gen i5 (6500ish?)and a budget GPU, or maybe even just get a better GPU for your current machine.

A quick ebay search yields this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293713688571?hash=item4462b337
you can get it with 16 GB of RAM for $220 , I'd opt for the smallest SSSD for the OS and bump the price up to 241. You likely can just move your exiting MAME HD over. Then you just need a cost effective GPU.

6th to 8th gen intels can be had for cheap, that's just an example just look around.  I'd never spend big bucks on recent hardware for a MAME build.

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.