Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Looking for some help with GroovyMAME + HyperSpin on CRT in arcade cabinet  (Read 2552 times)

purbeast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:04:12 pm
I currently have a KI2 cabinet that is setup with a pi3+ setup and a pi2jamma however it is very limited so I have built a new PC strictly for MAME that will play more games that I am interested in.  I also have seen videos of the HyperSpin running in an arcade cabinet and just love the UI.  Doing a bit more research, it sounds like GroovyMAME is the way to go with a CRT screen.

I currently have the PC already built and it's running Windows 10.  I have a Radeon 5450 which is compatible with CRT emudriver.  For the time being, I have normal MAME installed on it and that is about it.  I am waiting for my JPAC to arrive before I try to put it in my cabinet.

It is a dedicated Killer Instinct 2 cabinet and I did swap the original WG U2000 monitor out of it with a NeoTec 2501 (I believe that is the model - came from my Maximum Force cabinet).

So basically I am wondering if someone can point me to where I can find instructions on how I can install both GroovyMAME and HyperSpin on this PC so that it will work when I get my JPAC and have it hooked to the CRT monitor.  Ideally it would be nice if I could get it all setup outside of the cabinet for logistics reasons, but if that is not the case I understand and will work with whatever I have to.

Thanks.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:26:20 pm
Just  install hyperspin normally and once you get crtemudrivers installed, theres is an important step to make hyperspin work. When you are installing emudrivers, you need to selec to install only a maximum of 99 resolutions. otherwise hyperspin wont run at all. from there it shoud work normally.

purbeast

• Offline Offline
Just  install hyperspin normally and once you get crtemudrivers installed, theres is an important step to make hyperspin work. When you are installing emudrivers, you need to selec to install only a maximum of 99 resolutions. otherwise hyperspin wont run at all. from there it shoud work normally.

Okay thank you. 

I am still setting Hyperspin up (with normal MAME, haven't replaced it with GroovyMame yet) but have it up and running and stuff, mainly it's just cosmetic/genre stuff I have to still do.

Do I keep Hyperspin in full screen mode option checked or should I change it to the specific resolution of my monitor that I am using, which is a 4:3 standard resolution CRT?

I still have a ways before I put it in my cabinet but just trying to have everything lined up, thanks.

abispac

• Offline Offline
One cool about hyperspin, is that it looks so nice on crt, at full screen settings, theres nothing ealse you need to do.

purbeast

• Offline Offline
One cool about hyperspin, is that it looks so nice on crt, at full screen settings, theres nothing ealse you need to do.

Okay cool.

Now I have another question about GroovyMame...

Now that I have my HyperSpin setup pretty much how I want with normal MAME, are there instructions on how to basically port it to GroovyMame?  Or just how to setup GroovyMame in general?  I googled some instructions but I found some dated stuff talking about files that no longer exist in GroovyMame.

Is it as simple as like just downloading the GroovyMame package, and then copy/pasting it's contents (overriding existing files) to my MAME directory that I am using for HyperSpin? 

Or is there quite a bit more to it?

abispac

• Offline Offline
When you install emudrivers, one important step is to add yuor settings to mame. That way youll add your monitor setting to it. so you need to setup groovymame by itself, but cfg and ini files for games can remain.

purbeast

• Offline Offline
When you install emudrivers, one important step is to add yuor settings to mame. That way youll add your monitor setting to it. so you need to setup groovymame by itself, but cfg and ini files for games can remain.

Okay so basically if I replace all of my current MAME directory with the GroovyMAME stuff, replacing existing files, then install the CRT emudrivers, then go back to GroovyMAME and add my monitor settings to it, everything should be good to go?

abispac

• Offline Offline

Okay so basically if I replace all of my current MAME directory with the GroovyMAME stuff, replacing existing files, then install the CRT emudrivers, then go back to GroovyMAME and add my monitor settings to it, everything should be good to go?
yes

purbeast

• Offline Offline

yes
Great thanks for the help!  I will hopefully get to all this this weekend and post if I get stuck.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 09:44:54 pm
  • Is running at 15kHz
delete your mame.ini file and recreate it from groovyMAME though

purbeast

• Offline Offline
delete your mame.ini file and recreate it from groovyMAME though
I already had an ini file in my GroovyMAME directory.  Was that because I ran it before already? 

Should I delete it and then let it create it's own when I open GroovyMAME once hooked up to the CRT?

flybynight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 03:28:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I'd get everything work with normal groovymame first following the guides.

Then go back to hyperspin. I can tell you it all works fine once set up.

Most likely you will need to copy in your working mame.ini file to the hyperspin mame module folder. Hyperspin is odd in that it copies in the ini file in on the fly when running the game. It can be set to keep different ini files for each game type. E.g you start a naomi driving game it will use a different demul ini file to when you start a naoimi gun game. It's programmed into the module code for the machine

purbeast

• Offline Offline
Well I think it's working fine  for me.  The CRT emudrivers were a bit confusing to me with the VMMaker tool but I believe I got it all working just fine.  It was funny seeing Windows pop up on my arcade cabinet lol.

I booted up Hyperspin and tried out KI1 and MK2 and they worked just fine.  I still need to work on some stuff with my JPAC to get sound and bottom 3 buttons working but that should be straight forward.

Is there an easy way to make the PC boot up when the ATX PSU gets power instead of hitting a switch?  I thought I had the BIOS setting for it but my BIOS may not have it.  If not I'm going to setup a relay like I have done in the past.

Another question - is there a way to just boot windows up so that it boots directly to Hyperspin without having to enter my password and select it to open it?

flybynight

• Offline Offline
Good stuff. Well done!

For powering on, have another look in the bios for the option "when power is restored" and set to "always power on"

For logging in automatically either remove the password on the account or download the tool from systernals called "autologin"

To run hyperspin automatically, drag the shortcut to hyperspin to the startup folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

purbeast

• Offline Offline
Good stuff. Well done!

For powering on, have another look in the bios for the option "when power is restored" and set to "always power on"

For logging in automatically either remove the password on the account or download the tool from systernals called "autologin"

To run hyperspin automatically, drag the shortcut to hyperspin to the startup folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

Great thanks for all this info.  I am pretty sure I did turn on the BIOS option that said something about when the AC power is removed to do fast logon.  It only had 2 options, enabled and disabled, and I enabled it, and it's not working like I was hoping.  It could be this motherboard doesn't support it though.  I'm going to check out the manual.

I'll look into those other things today as well, thanks!

purbeast

• Offline Offline
This is actually the BIOS setting I turned to "Power on" and when I turn the ATX PSU off (while the PC is on), then turn it back on, it doesn't power the PC on.  I also tried completely unplugging it from the wall and plugging it back in and same thing, it doesn't turn on.

flybynight

• Offline Offline
That's the one. Set the to "power on".

You need to cut the power fully for at least 30 seconds for all the flea ppwer to drain, then restore power. If it doesn't turn on automatically try update the bios as that sounds like a bug.

purbeast

• Offline Offline
Yeah ended up being total user error on my part.  I must not have saved the setting when I changed it before lol.

It is now working as expected and will turn on with my cabinet once I get this adapter.

purbeast

• Offline Offline
Okay I got everything up and running with sound and all controls working and had a couple more questions.

1. What is the best/easiest way to setup your hyperspin controls on the joystick?  I tried using hyperHQ and picking the Joystick tab and setting it, however Windows isn't recognizing my joystick when I press the buttons so I am not sure exactly how to set this up.

2. I have noticed that my movie previews load in pretty slow - is that normal or is there a setting for this or is my PC just not powerful enough lol?

EDIT:

I think I answered my own question in #1 after looking at the JPAC installation instructions.  I see that each button maps to a key, so I'm guessing I just set the keyboard control to be the corresponding key that maps to the button I want.  Going to give that a go.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:27:05 pm by purbeast »