Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyArcade whats the correct way for 31khz MOnitors  (Read 1859 times)

abispac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:34:27 pm
GroovyArcade whats the correct way for 31khz MOnitors
« on: June 14, 2022, 02:36:42 am »
So im trying to test a 13 inch tatung monitor that came with a champion countertop machine. I knew nothing about this monitor, but at the monitor forum i was told this was a 31khz vga monitor. Being a dumb ass that i am, i didnt bilieve that, so today i found an AMD ATI Radeon x1300 card, for a dollar, so i got it to give it a try . So using groovyarcade i gave it a couple of trys with 15khz and nothing. Last one, i selected 31khz and option 23 , i did this by taking notes and navigating blind. Now, it loads atract mode, but it loads it like 4 split screens, see picture 1. But if i choose a game, game loads just fine at 640x480. So i think either ,atract mode is loading at another resolution, or at another refresh rate. Maybe is just the card. I remember i had the exact same problem with groovymame and an firepro ati card. I coud never make it to load the desktop just fine,  but games where runing ok. Or does it has something to do with interlaced mode? Anyway, tomorrow ill buy a better card and test it out againg. Any comments are apreciated.Pardon my bad english, is my third lenguage.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 04:35:34 pm by abispac »

abispac

• Offline Offline
Re: GroovyArcade 31khz Weird problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 08:38:42 pm »
whats the correct way to use a 31khz monitor?

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 02:35:43 pm
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 02:38:28 pm »
Hi,

That's how you're supposed to install :
- boot the USB stick
- select the monitor type at the boot menu. In your case 31kHz
- make sure to answer for screen autodetection
- set the monitor type
- install
- yippee yayyyy

BUT it happens that on 31kHz, the "normal" resolution is not 640x480. This can be forced be editing the kernel command line and forcing an EDID. Do you need any help for that ?

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 08:00:01 pm »
Hi,

- boot the USB stick
- set the monitor type
- install
- yippee yayyyy

BUT it happens that on 31kHz, the "normal" resolution is not 640x480. This can be forced be editing the kernel command line and forcing an EDID. Do you need any help for that ?
Yes please, i aprecite it.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 09:42:06 am »
 :dunno
Hi,

- boot the USB stick
- set the monitor type
- install
- yippee yayyyy

:dunno

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 07:24:28 pm »
Only a couple of days, he's probably just busy :)

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 10:58:22 pm »
Only a couple of days, he's probably just busy :)
i know, im just being a smartass,i think i found what he meant, http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=140215.0 im a try this today and post results.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 02:42:22 pm »
Sorry, was out all weekend for a baseball tournament.

So, depending on your monitor preset, you should :
* as root, edit the kernel configuration file. Its path depends on UEFI or BIOS boot system. BIOS -> /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg UEFI -> /boot/EFI/syslinux/syslinux.cfg (that one is right out of memory, might be wrong)
* to edit for bios for example, type : sudo nano /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
In that file, find the line starting with "append ..." You should see a video=???:640x480S I suppose. The ??? matters, it's the connector name and we're gonna use it right after
* at the end of that same line, append drm.edid_firmware=???:edid/arcade_31.bin replacing the ??? with the connector name found just before
* I strongly suggest you remove the video= parameter at that point since the resolution may interfere with the EDID one
* type reboot
* hope everything went right

If you can't edit, please connect your PC to the network, download putty for Windows, then in the IP field, just type GROOVYARCADE, then connect as arcade/arcade

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 04:49:46 pm »
Sorry, was out all weekend for a baseball tournament.

So, depending on your monitor preset, you should :
* as root, edit the kernel configuration file. Its path depends on UEFI or BIOS boot system. BIOS -> /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg UEFI -> /boot/EFI/syslinux/syslinux.cfg (that one is right out of memory, might be wrong)
* to edit for bios for example, type : sudo nano /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg
In that file, find the line starting with "append ..." You should see a video=???:640x480S I suppose. The ??? matters, it's the connector name and we're gonna use it right after
* at the end of that same line, append drm.edid_firmware=???:edid/arcade_31.bin replacing the ??? with the connector name found just before
So ive been trying alot of the settings to make this work, as by choosing 31khz at boot (to install groovyaracade) and arcade 31khz at the other prompt, i get only scramble images. Selecting svga at first, and pc 31khz gives me scramble atract mode and some games run fine, some not. So today i  played with vesa 640x480 and i get scramble atractact mode but all games run fine. So i thiink vesa 640x480 works better for this monitor, unless im wrong of course. so i went to the desktop in GA and found the file, and this is the result, based on my last test.
Code: [Select]
default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
menu title Groovy Arcade Linuz
menu background splash.png
label arch
linux /vmlinuz-linux-15khz
append root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/1df18313-c8bd-449a-9f49-0eb028a1bf95 rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit
initrd /initramfs-linux-15khz.img
Tomorrow ill try againg with 31khz, and arcade 31khz to see what the syslinux.cfg looks like.
Unless im doing this wrong but is hard to install if the iGA arcade install looks all scrambled even if i choose 31khz. Do i explain myself?
I mean, on 15khz monitors, i start groovya arcade install menu and it looks just fine.
Not on this 31khz monitor, it loos scrambled.
I hope im not making a mess of my explanation, please have patience ith me. Thanks.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
Re: GroovyArcade whats the correct way for 31khz MOnitors
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 02:29:11 pm »
I do understand what happens. But first of all I'd need more info about that 31kHz monitor. Is it a PC CRT ? or an arcade monitor ?

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2022, 02:40:29 pm »
I do understand what happens. But first of all I'd need more info about that 31kHz monitor. Is it a PC CRT ? or an arcade monitor ?
It came with a champion countertop arcade, no stickers, but experts said is an tatung arcade monitor, a much experinced guy says this are neotech rebranded as tatung, or at least parts are compatible. Here at the monitor forum i  was told is an 31khz monitor, so i went with that. So far , based on the games that come out stable, it looks like 640x480 @59hz 29khz is a good resolution for the monitor. I guess thats why vesa 640x480 works for the games. I really dont understand as how a 31khz arcade monitor should work, or if is the same as a 31khz computer monitor. So if you have some step by step instructions to make this work, i will follow them. At this point i can even install GA blind, as i know all the menu, so just seeing the images on a scrambled monitor i know im good.
Righ know i got to do some reflow on a conection as i broke it yesterday. No big deal ,easy repair. Thanks for your time and patience.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2022, 07:22:41 pm »
dont worrie anymore, i tosed the monitor. case closed

gamer83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2022, 05:50:54 pm
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 08:51:37 pm »
you tossed the monitor?  :'(   a moment of silence please for another lost CRT :blank: