Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Roller Controller - Interested?  (Read 1804 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:27:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Arcade Roller Controller - Interested?
« on: June 13, 2022, 11:27:56 am »
Ever since I built the first TurboTwist2 and got my first 3D printer, I had it in my mind to offer an arcade roller controller for those who, due to them being very costly and virtually unobtainable, would never be able to get one for their cabinet.  Unfortunately, back in those days, 3D printers weren't what they are now so it just wasn't feasible.  But I now have a mini print farm set up and things are working very well, so I have what I consider a nearly perfect design after going through a number of prototypes.

A quick run-down of the features are:

Plug and play USB
1200 transitions per revolution industrial grade optical sensor
110mm diameter panel footprint
Dual-ball-bearing roller for spins which are incredibly smoother than that of the original control.
Simple installation requiring only a specific shaped hole in the panel (which does not need to be perfect) and 2 mounting screws.
Full-size urethane roller just like the arcade
Can be used on wood or metal panels regardless of thickness and thanks to the new design, the "finger pinching" of the original control has been virtually eliminated.
Attractive, within the limits of 3D printing, panel interface, which most would be fine with as-is but could also be further refined by the user.

Projected price of $124.95

Due to the size and number parts, they take a fair amount of time to produce, so this is just a "temperature check" to get an idea of how many folks might be interested in this type of specialized controller before we start offering them.

Thanks,
RandyT

NuclearWarren

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:28:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Arcade Roller Controller - Interested?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 04:36:53 pm »
Yes interested!

Can I get some more measurements? I have in mind a space on one of my panels, wondering if it can fit.

Nuke.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 10:40:58 pm »
Sounds cool to me!
One would think that even just for Major Havoc that this would be a no-brainer.
Have you compiled a list of games utilizing a roller?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:27:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 01:28:52 pm »
Can I get some more measurements? I have in mind a space on one of my panels, wondering if it can fit.

It really needs that 110mm diameter, straight down through the panel, for space.  How much room around it depends on how slappy one would get on the roller.  Buttons are fine next to it, but you wouldn't want a joystick close-by.

Have you compiled a list of games utilizing a roller?

Major Havoc would be the main one, of course.  I'm not sure any other used it specifically.  KickMan (Kick!) would also be a good fit, but considering that it is plenty high-res, it should be usable as a spinner replacement for a lot of those types of games a well.  I'd  imagine Tempest wouldn't be bad and maybe even more comfortable to play on long sessions.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 04:36:19 pm »
MH and Kick were the two that immediately sprung to my mind, but I think for any games that are straight lateral motion (Arkanoid and the like?) this would be an awesome control.
Makes we want to sift through the spinner compatible game list just to see (and the list might make for a good sales support tool to boot.)

Then again, for any Havoc fans it would be worth having just for that alone at the price you are talking about.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

bollwerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2023, 08:27:52 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 04:28:55 pm »
I would definitely be interested.

testicle187

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2022, 09:34:53 am
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 08:39:19 am »
I would definitely be interested as well!