Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions on hardware for new MAME build for a JAMMA cabinet  (Read 1229 times)

purbeast

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 05:51:38 pm
I currently have a Killer Instinct 2 cabinet with a pi2jamma in it.  It works great and everything is fine, however I have recently been debating finally letting my KI1 and KI2 boards go to help fund a new pinball machine.  However, if I do that, I want to be sure I have a way to play it in emulation in my KI2 cabinet.  And right now, the pi3 hooked to my pi2jamma doesn't cut it.  It isn't even close to being able to handle it.

I have been out of the PC building game for a long time so I am just not familiar at all with what would be necessary to put together a MAME capable PC that would be able to run Killer Instinct 1 and 2 flawlessly.

I also want it to run all the other games fine too like MK1, MK2, NBA Jam, Metal Slug, etc.  Basically games from the 90's that I grew up with, most of which run fine on the pi3, so I'm assuming they would run fine on a more powerful PC.

Aside from just the PC parts though, what other parts would I need to make it work natively with the JAMMA cab, so that the controls and monitor just work seemlessly?  Is there also a specific OS or auto-start app that people recommend so when you power on the cabinet/PC, it just boots directly into the emulator?  I am assuming I would need a JPAC for this too?  I don't know much about those other than they can interface a PC with a JAMMA cabinet.

Sorry for all the questions but if anyone can help point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic.

Thanks.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Jpac will work. I suggest GroovyArcade for an operating system.

https://gitlab.com/groovyarcade/support/-/wikis/home

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:18:46 am
Keep the KI and KI2 boards with your original cab, worth more that way, shame to break up the set. Emulation of games is never 100% the same as original anyway.
Check out my completed projects!

purbeast

• Offline Offline
Jpac will work. I suggest GroovyArcade for an operating system.

https://gitlab.com/groovyarcade/support/-/wikis/home

I hadn't heard of that and was leaning towards Hyperspin withe GroovyMame.  I defintely prefer the Hyperspin UI to the GroovyArcade UI, although it isn't bad or anything. 

Any specific reason you would choose GroovyArcade over Hyperspin?  I am a noob at all this stuff so I don't know much about either other than how they look.

As for PC I actually ended up downloading latest MAME on my decade old desktop and running some games like KI1, KI2, Blitz, etc, stuff I would like to play that I can't play now, and they all ran fine, so I basically got the same CPU, RAM, and similar GPU (has a 512mb HD 4850 and I got a 1gb HD 5450). 

Keep the KI and KI2 boards with your original cab, worth more that way, shame to break up the set. Emulation of games is never 100% the same as original anyway.

I have honestly been contemplating that.

The KI1 PCB I got back in like 2002 when I got the KI2 cab.  So the KI1 PCB I could get rid of pretty easily itself, but the KI2 one I still need to get working because the CPU lifted, but that should fix it.  And once it fixes it, I have been wondering about selling the whole cabinet and getting something like an astocity cab instead.  But those are also bigger and take up more space.

As for emulation not being 100%, I just don't play them that much at all.  I haven't played KI2 since it was last in there like back before like 2004.  KI1 I had in there after having the cab in my moms basement for like 8 years, then it sat in my garage for like 6 more years after that.  Then when I cleaned the cab up and moved it inside, I didn't play KI much at all because the AI gets boring.

So considering I don't play either of them that much, and emulation not being 100%, I am okay with that.

I am also going to convert my KI1 board to be a K1/KI2 dual boot board with a switch before I sell it.  I'm also selling off some other arcade boards I have, primarily to get funding for another pinball machine.  I only have one of those, but I play it much more than any of my 4 arcade cabinets.  The KI2 cabinet has a pi2jamma in it right now with emulators anyways.

Sorry to ramble, but that is my reasoning lol.  It would be tough for me to sell the KI2 cab though just because I've had it so long and it's my first baby lol.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
GroovyArcade is more like a linux-based arcade operating system, you boot the computer with it from USB or whatever and it works, runs Groovymame, very cool awesome project. Hyperspin is just a front-end, software you run, on top of your setup OS, for a fancy game menu system with bling multimedia. Main point is, not the same thing.

With regards to the KI and KI2 PCBs, the cab and PCBs together, as a set, would be worth more than the individual items. Even if the KI2 PCB needs some repair. Someone out there will want it. If not using the PCBs, you could put them in bubble wrap and store until you want to sell the cab.

Astrocity cabs are great, nice 29" monitor, and you get to sit down. Good if you have younger kids as a KI cab is too large/high.

purbeast

• Offline Offline
GroovyArcade is more like a linux-based arcade operating system, you boot the computer with it from USB or whatever and it works, runs Groovymame, very cool awesome project. Hyperspin is just a front-end, software you run, on top of your setup OS, for a fancy game menu system with bling multimedia. Main point is, not the same thing.

With regards to the KI and KI2 PCBs, the cab and PCBs together, as a set, would be worth more than the individual items. Even if the KI2 PCB needs some repair. Someone out there will want it. If not using the PCBs, you could put them in bubble wrap and store until you want to sell the cab.

Astrocity cabs are great, nice 29" monitor, and you get to sit down. Good if you have younger kids as a KI cab is too large/high.
Oh I was under the impression that GroovyArcade was just a UI that ran on top of Linux.  Or maybe that is still what it is but it just gives more flexibility.

I just really like the look of Hyperspin.  I ordered a 1Tb SSD for the drive I am using in this so I don't really need to boot from USB or anything.

As for KI stuff, the reason I'm looking at selling them in general is to make some $$$ to put towards another pin so I don't really want to put it in bubble wrap until I sell it all.  You do make me think though about wondering if I could sell my KI1/2 dual boot PCB with the cab for a good chunk and then use that to buy Astro/Blast city cab and have a lot of $$$ on top of that for my pin.

Do you think that the original KI2 cabinet with the original KI2 PCB (after I get it fixed) would be worth more than the cabinet with a KI1 PCB that has been converted to KI1/KI2 dual boot PCB?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
As for KI stuff, the reason I'm looking at selling them in general is to make some $$$ to put towards another pin so I don't really want to put it in bubble wrap until I sell it all.  You do make me think though about wondering if I could sell my KI1/2 dual boot PCB with the cab for a good chunk and then use that to buy Astro/Blast city cab and have a lot of $$$ on top of that for my pin.

I think, unless KI has suddenly risen in popularity, you'll find that a working quality pin costs a lot more than whatever you'll get for your KI2 cab and PCBs.

Do you think that the original KI2 cabinet with the original KI2 PCB (after I get it fixed) would be worth more than the cabinet with a KI1 PCB that has been converted to KI1/KI2 dual boot PCB?

You would need to consult with the marketplace. I imagine that the dual boot would be more attractive, but you can offer the whole lot as a set.

purbeast

• Offline Offline
I think, unless KI has suddenly risen in popularity, you'll find that a working quality pin costs a lot more than whatever you'll get for your KI2 cab and PCBs.

Oh I know, that is just part of what I'm selling off but those are my most valuable PCB's.  I won't even have enough to get a pin with just what I am selling, but it can put a big dent in it.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
I need to look into the GroovyArcade PC thing (along with Pi possibilities for that matter.)

Simplifying the hardware/software situation in terms of booting would be a huge step in making me want to work on my MAME boxes again.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.