Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME recoil… How to?  (Read 1040 times)

tangodownNZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2024, 09:59:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MAME recoil… How to?
« on: June 20, 2023, 02:50:32 am »
Hello Arcade Enthusiasts,

I know this has been done before, but the threads on this topic have become complicated to follow.

I have a Ghost Squad gun with gun sense board and a fuse board.
The fuse board has a recoil signal wire which requires 5 volts - I currently hook this wire to the trigger, which works but its not ideal.
The problem hooking the recoil signal wire to the trigger is that if I run out of bullets in MAME the recoil still fires.

I am using a U-HID Nano from Ultimarc to send button presses and axis data to my PC.

I have read that MAME Hooker can output the recoil signal from MAME to the gun solenoid. But I can’t seem to find a how to for dummies guide anywhere.
I also need to know how to get the signal from my PC to the recoil signal wire (does MAME Hooker take care of this?).
The U-HID can output 5 volts and 15 milli amps, which I believe should be sufficient. Another option is the PAC Drive from Ultimarc, but I think the U-HID should work. Unless this is normally done another way.

I thought I would add. The game I am mainly interested in playing is Operation Wolf in MAME.

(Just a small question off to the side, not main question). I am assuming MAME Hooker only works with MAME. Is there something similar for the Dolphin Emulator.
When you press a button on a game controller, it shows in controller properties, in Windows. I was wondering if there is a way to output the trigger button signal from Windows to the gun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 03:43:58 am by tangodownNZ »

Ugo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2023, 04:52:16 pm
  • Check out the X-GUN
Re: MAME recoil… How to?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 11:54:58 am »
I sent you a DM

tangodownNZ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 02:40:41 am »
I have the Sega Ghost Squad gun hooked up to the gun sense board. Its working and I can use it with Mame. I am trying to get the recoil output to go through my Ultimarc U-HID to the recoil signal wire. I believe mame hooker can do this, but I can not get mame hooker to see the game. Rom, parent and driver are all blank when I go to test. Nothing shows up in the debug window when I run mame and Operation Wolf. Its like it can not see Mame. I have set the mame path in mame hooker. But do I need to manually add the roms and parent ect? I thought I could just set up mame hooker and run it out of the box. Am I missing something.

I am also interest to know if I buy PAC Drive from Ultimarc. Does this have built in software that I can easily send the trigger output signal to my recoil signal wire on the gun?

Below is what I see when I go to sysTray - Test.

If somebody could please give me a little help that would be awesome.

Thank you very much

mame_start

Emulator=MAME

Game Info:

--------

Rom=

Parent=

Driver=

Orientation=0

mame_stop

bandicoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 01:34:32 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 11:09:14 am »
in mame.ini you need to change this :

#
# OSD OUTPUT OPTIONS
#

output auto

by this

#
# OSD OUTPUT OPTIONS
#

output windows

, perhaps you have some .ini for the game you launch , look at it you need to make same change.

and if you haven't got a mame.ini , you need to launch a command line to generate it

mame -cc

tangodownNZ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 05:53:20 pm »
in mame.ini you need to change this :

#
# OSD OUTPUT OPTIONS
#

output auto

by this

#
# OSD OUTPUT OPTIONS
#

output windows

, perhaps you have some .ini for the game you launch , look at it you need to make same change.

and if you haven't got a mame.ini , you need to launch a command line to generate it

mame -cc

Thank you Bandicoot,

Tried it. Didn’t work. Its not even looking at my mame directory even though I entered it (as instructions) with the .exe next.

Actually I have moved away from Mame Hooker. Even if it did work. As soon as you use a different emulator you have no recoil.

So I am just using the uhid config utility to send 5 volts to the trigger when the trigger is pressed. I know the recoil will fire everytime I pull the trigger but I can live with that.

Thanks again