Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: VR controllers as lightgun  (Read 2190 times)

Migcar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2022, 04:42:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
VR controllers as lightgun
« on: June 11, 2022, 10:42:41 am »
hello i try to achieve what the title topic says. Here the first results:

Migcar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2022, 04:42:52 pm
Re: VR controllers as lightgun
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 04:18:10 pm »
added relative mouse position, now i can plays Pcsx2 games with nuvee plugin, tryed the training mode of Vampire Night:

what i have done is a program with unity that work like this: in the headset you see a green panel, you must set the position and the dimension of the panel in a way that it fit the position&dimension of your TV/Monitor, now you must unwear the headset (finding a way to not le it enter in sleeping mode) and you can use the Motion Controller as lightgun. The inputs are managed by the program using the Win32 Api.
Sorry for my bad english

Ugo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2023, 04:52:16 pm
  • Check out the X-GUN
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 10:37:01 pm »
This is really cool. Good job.

greymatr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:22:05 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 12:36:57 pm »
I was wondering if you could share some code to this project? I would love to give it a go and if theres anything that you think that could be added then maybe we can contribute to it?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 07:38:58 am »
I don't know what happened to this user, but he is onto something which was touched upon back when the lighthouse technology was new.  Namely, the ultimate, but expensive, "lightgun" system.

I have my doubts about the accuracy of camera-based VR controller tracking, but the lighthouses are supposedly super precise.  All it would take is a VR tracker attached to a gun (something like this), or a specialized gun with the sensors, and a lighthouse (preferably 2) in front somewhere.  It would then know exactly the position of the gun in space, as well as exactly where the barrel is pointing.  The only problem is that it wouldn't know where in 3D space the monitor is located.  So, this would require an additional sensor for the monitor, or some finicky calibration.  But once everything was dialed in, it would probably be pretty amazing. 

Hopefully the project is made available and works with those items, as I'd love to give it a proper test.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:43:20 am by RandyT »

greymatr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:22:05 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 05:06:52 pm »
There is a couple projects out there which use the vive with lighthouses for a lightgun. I've gotten the openvr one to compile. It also works on a quest headset but you need to use airlink.

Here is a thread on here where they talk about them: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=165508.0

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 10:26:52 am »
Did some digging and found a virtual Mouse and keyboard driver, which would probably mitigate the need for an arduino and the associated cables.  If things work the way I'd expect, you could just send the mouse movement data straight to the driver, and maybe even map controller buttons to keyboard keys.  It's not signed, so that's a limitation.  Also, you probably don't want it active on any system used for multiplayer online games, as I suspect it could get you banned.

https://github.com/hedgar2017/loki-hidriver