Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hantarex MTC 9000 width problem  (Read 2700 times)

CHRIS-F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:59:12 am
  • I always have screws left over after repairs :-)
Hantarex MTC 9000 width problem
« on: June 04, 2022, 06:07:42 pm »
Hi Guys,

My monitor has a width problem, it's a Hantarex MTC 9000, some of the game is off screen, I've tried the horizontal pot it does make the image wider/narrower so it appears to be working, but when I adjust it fully some of the game is still off screen. I wanted to replace it with a flat panel, but everyone keeps telling me to keep the CRT and fix it.
So where do I start to diagnose the fault?
Thanks

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:10:56 pm
Re: Hantarex MTC 9000 width problem
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 07:44:39 am »
i would start by reading the values of the following capacitors,
c41  4.7uf 63v bipolar
c40 6.8nf 1600v
c36 3.9nf 1600v
c37 470nf 250v

if you don't have a cap meter then send for repair or replace all of them, you may get lucky. Make sure you replace with correct type capacitors

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 11:54:25 am »
Thanks,

I'm a bit nervous about working on the monitor, so I want to make sure i'm looking at the right part before i begin, I found those caps on the manual, but I'm not sure i can see them on the chassis, is this the correct manual or is my monitor slightly different? or am i just not seeing them the components seem to be marked differently. I also looked the caps you mentioned up in the manual and none of them mention bipolar, they mention metalized polyproplyene and double metalized polyproplyene, what is a double metalized cap?

regards,
Chris

grantspain

• Online Online
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 06:23:05 pm »
c42 is the bipolar, it was a error on my part

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 01:31:30 pm »
Hi,

I discharged my monitor today and took the chassis out to get some better pictures, I'm not even sure it is a Hantarex MTC 9000, maybe some variant, if anyone knows what chassis it is i'd be most grateful.

I added a couple of notes in paint, first I noticed C42 is a radial type and the top is bulged out ready to pop, could this have anything to do with my width issue? It's just below B3 coil. My Sw 4 is horizontal not vertical. My C37 is a blue bead type at the back right of the chassis. On the MTC 9000 manual where C41 is I have C40 there instead, I didn't locate C41 or C36, there are a few partially visible numbers on some of the caps.

Where do i go from here? I can't see the value of C42 the bulged cap without removing it, I can't guarantee it will be the same value as the 9000 part no either. It would be a great help if I could actually identify the chassis and get the right manual.

Regards,
Chris.

grantspain

• Online Online
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 05:07:21 pm »
that a 9000 clone, looks like a vi2000 shefras remake
the cap that is bulged is the cap that causes that width fault

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 06:22:15 pm »
that a 9000 clone, looks like a vi2000 shefras remake
the cap that is bulged is the cap that causes that width fault

That's brilliant, I don't suppose you know the value of this C42 cap do you? Will it be the same as the Hantarex MTC 9000 equivalent cap C42 which is listed as a normal polarized radial electrolytic 4.7MF 50V, I'm guessing MF is just micro farad and not Mega farad (not sure why there capitalised). do i need a certain type of cap low ESR or anything and what temperature rating, will any brand do or do you reccomend a certain manufacturer? (I'm in the U.K. and normally ordr from ebay) sorry for all the questions, i'm fairly new to electronics in general and this HV monitor stuff scares me, I don't really want to discharge the monitor again until I have a new cap to replace it with.

Also is there a manual for this chassis? I did a quick search for Vi2000 but i only found a sound effect device of the same name, is shefra the manufacturer? I did see something calling it an AC&G but still cant find much info on that either.

Thanks again for your help so far, much appreciated :-)
Chris.

grantspain

• Online Online
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 07:07:50 pm »
pretty sure its identical to 9000 apart from component numbers
so that cap will be a 4.7uf 50v, can't remember if that chassis used polarised or not - just remove and take a look. later 9000 used a polypropelene axial 63v 4.7uf which is bipolar

I use rs components and cricklewood electronics, some ebay sellers in the uk are good like semtech and dmcomponents

shefras were a parts company in the uk that operated until early 90's

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 09:06:25 am »
Hi,

My replacement 4.7uf 50v 105°C cap arrived today, I have used D & M components before so ordered from them, the guy said the brand is Yaego, are they any good? also the cap is a lot smaller than the cap it's replacing, does that matter? I cant see if the old cap is a bipolar or regular polarised untill I remove it, the manual doesn't mention polarised so hoping it isn't, I will double check once removed.

Regards,
Chris.

grantspain

• Online Online
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 05:07:47 pm »
go ahead and replace, don't overthink these things

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 09:35:44 am »
Hi,

I removed the old cap, there doesn't seem to be any polarised markings on it. does the NP mean Non Polarised? it does seem to be faulty though as my cheapo transistor tester says its a 842 pico farad cap instead of 4.7uf. what does that marking on the pcb mean I've never seen that type of symbol before, i'm guessing I can't use the 4.7uf cap i bought to replace it as that is a polarized cap.

Thanks again,
Chris.

grantspain

• Online Online
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 12:13:00 pm »
np is bipolar cap

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 04:37:23 am »
Hi, just wanted to double check, I have both types of caps bipolar polarised, the old one was a non polarised, but just wondering why the print screen has that big thick line doesn't that denote the negative side? And the MTC 9000 manual shows the top being positive, is there a reason a non polarised cap was used here? Could that be why it's failed and bulged? I know my chassis is a clone and the print screen could be wrong etc, just want to make sure.
Regards,
Chris.

grantspain

• Online Online
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2022, 04:54:07 am »
no idea, it just the way they did it- they were always fitted bipolar caps and later were fitted with polypropelene caps. I have worked on hundreds of the 9000 chassis and they have always been like that

they fail because they fail, just a common fault - thats why later models had the polypropelene caps fitted and they never fail. You should get a fair few years of operation with a standard bipolar cap so don't worry too much

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2022, 05:47:04 am »
no idea, it just the way they did it- they were always fitted bipolar caps and later were fitted with polypropelene caps. I have worked on hundreds of the 9000 chassis and they have always been like that

they fail because they fail, just a common fault - thats why later models had the polypropelene caps fitted and they never fail. You should get a fair few years of operation with a standard bipolar cap so don't worry too much

Thanks for the conformation, it's much appreciated, I already discharged the monitor a few days ago and took the cap out, but I ordered a polarised cap by mistake, I ended up putting the old cap back in as my kids have been using the machine a lot lately, the correct NP cap came this morning so I will fit that as soon as i get a chance.

Thanks again :-)
Chris.

princess prin prin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:12:58 pm
  • intrinsically safe
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2022, 07:41:59 am »
On authentic Hantarex chassis the silkscreening for C42 is always polarized except on the earliest version of the chassis (MZ04). I don't think you'd have problems with a polarized cap if you respect the polarization (negative to ground). The only problem with an electrolytic is that in this location there's a lot of heat and no airflow so they fail. As gunblade said Hantarex later stopped using an electrolytic here and replaced it with a film cap. They sticked to a film cap for EW filtering on their next monitor too (Polo).

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2022, 06:41:10 pm »
Thanks for your help, It is very much appreciated, I fitted a new cap today and I am happy with the results, as you can see from the attachment i can now shrink the width and fit the whole game on screen, I have some other issues, like my image is slightly rotated a degree or two and possibly a linearity problem on the right the border is slightly smaller than on the left, but that's a problem for another day :-)

Thanks again,
Chris.

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2022, 06:49:21 pm »
As both of you have mentioned a film cap, I should really get a replacement for next time it fails, is it ok to just replace that one cap with a film and leave the others, silly question but what do i search for and what do they look like? I've searched for polypropylene film caps and all i could find were yellow axial can types for use in audio.

Thanks,
Chris,

princess prin prin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:12:58 pm
  • intrinsically safe
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2022, 03:24:16 am »
It was never implied that you should replace all electrolytics with film caps.

An axial cap is what Hantarex used as other types won't fit:

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2022, 12:32:27 pm »
It was never implied that you should replace all electrolytics with film caps.

An axial cap is what Hantarex used as other types won't fit:

Thanks for that conformation and sorry i should have made my question more clear, what I actually meant was, is it o.k. to only replace that particular cap C42 with a film cap or do any others in that part of the circuit or anywhere else on the board also need replacing?

Regards,
Chris.