Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hantarex MTC 9000 width problem  (Read 255 times)

CHRIS-F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 06:56:27 pm
  • I always have screws left over after repairs :-)
Hantarex MTC 9000 width problem
« on: June 04, 2022, 06:07:42 pm »
Hi Guys,

My monitor has a width problem, it's a Hantarex MTC 9000, some of the game is off screen, I've tried the horizontal pot it does make the image wider/narrower so it appears to be working, but when I adjust it fully some of the game is still off screen. I wanted to replace it with a flat panel, but everyone keeps telling me to keep the CRT and fix it.
So where do I start to diagnose the fault?
Thanks

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:18:35 pm
Re: Hantarex MTC 9000 width problem
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 07:44:39 am »
i would start by reading the values of the following capacitors,
c41  4.7uf 63v bipolar
c40 6.8nf 1600v
c36 3.9nf 1600v
c37 470nf 250v

if you don't have a cap meter then send for repair or replace all of them, you may get lucky. Make sure you replace with correct type capacitors

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 11:54:25 am »
Thanks,

I'm a bit nervous about working on the monitor, so I want to make sure i'm looking at the right part before i begin, I found those caps on the manual, but I'm not sure i can see them on the chassis, is this the correct manual or is my monitor slightly different? or am i just not seeing them the components seem to be marked differently. I also looked the caps you mentioned up in the manual and none of them mention bipolar, they mention metalized polyproplyene and double metalized polyproplyene, what is a double metalized cap?

regards,
Chris

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 06:23:05 pm »
c42 is the bipolar, it was a error on my part

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 01:31:30 pm »
Hi,

I discharged my monitor today and took the chassis out to get some better pictures, I'm not even sure it is a Hantarex MTC 9000, maybe some variant, if anyone knows what chassis it is i'd be most grateful.

I added a couple of notes in paint, first I noticed C42 is a radial type and the top is bulged out ready to pop, could this have anything to do with my width issue? It's just below B3 coil. My Sw 4 is horizontal not vertical. My C37 is a blue bead type at the back right of the chassis. On the MTC 9000 manual where C41 is I have C40 there instead, I didn't locate C41 or C36, there are a few partially visible numbers on some of the caps.

Where do i go from here? I can't see the value of C42 the bulged cap without removing it, I can't guarantee it will be the same value as the 9000 part no either. It would be a great help if I could actually identify the chassis and get the right manual.

Regards,
Chris.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 05:07:21 pm »
that a 9000 clone, looks like a vi2000 shefras remake
the cap that is bulged is the cap that causes that width fault

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 06:22:15 pm »
that a 9000 clone, looks like a vi2000 shefras remake
the cap that is bulged is the cap that causes that width fault

That's brilliant, I don't suppose you know the value of this C42 cap do you? Will it be the same as the Hantarex MTC 9000 equivalent cap C42 which is listed as a normal polarized radial electrolytic 4.7MF 50V, I'm guessing MF is just micro farad and not Mega farad (not sure why there capitalised). do i need a certain type of cap low ESR or anything and what temperature rating, will any brand do or do you reccomend a certain manufacturer? (I'm in the U.K. and normally ordr from ebay) sorry for all the questions, i'm fairly new to electronics in general and this HV monitor stuff scares me, I don't really want to discharge the monitor again until I have a new cap to replace it with.

Also is there a manual for this chassis? I did a quick search for Vi2000 but i only found a sound effect device of the same name, is shefra the manufacturer? I did see something calling it an AC&G but still cant find much info on that either.

Thanks again for your help so far, much appreciated :-)
Chris.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 07:07:50 pm »
pretty sure its identical to 9000 apart from component numbers
so that cap will be a 4.7uf 50v, can't remember if that chassis used polarised or not - just remove and take a look. later 9000 used a polypropelene axial 63v 4.7uf which is bipolar

I use rs components and cricklewood electronics, some ebay sellers in the uk are good like semtech and dmcomponents

shefras were a parts company in the uk that operated until early 90's