Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What is necessary to run LED Blinky?  (Read 1048 times)

Temp123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2022, 12:27:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What is necessary to run LED Blinky?
« on: May 17, 2022, 03:37:39 pm »
Even if I go to the manufacturers sites - that LED Blinky lists on https://www.ledblinky.net/ledblinky.htm; the schematics are very basic to non-existent.

So, if I wanted to create a setup where the LED/RGB Buttons change colors/blink to the beat of the music on whatever game is on the PC - what is needed?

A controller such PacLED64, the buttons and wires that come with the buttons and LED Blinky, and that's it?

----------
Someone said they can do the same thing with an Arduino board, but I'm not 100% what an Arduino board is or that I still wouldn't need a separate controller..

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: What is necessary to run LED Blinky?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 10:29:54 pm »
Have you looked in Arzoo's thread here in the Software sub-forum?
- He's the author of LEDBlinky.

Someone said they can do the same thing with an Arduino board, but I'm not 100% what an Arduino board is or that I still wouldn't need a separate controller..
Arduino makes a variety of small, single-board, open-source computers that can handle a wide range of inputs, outputs, and computing tasks.

The RGB LEDs you're talking about have 3 channels per LED (red, green, and blue), with a current draw of up to 20mA per channel. ==> 60mA per LED.

Multiply that by the number of LEDs on your control panel and you'll quickly either run out of data pins if you use one pin per channel and/or you'll reach the limit of how much current the Arduino can supply.

To overcome those limits without using a dedicated LED controller board, many Arduino LED projects use addressable LEDs that are wired in series.
- For a project with a large number of these LEDs, you can use an external power supply instead of using 5v from the Arduino's USB to power the LEDs.  The Arduino would still provide the LED data commands.

Scott