Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: vinyl for control panel?  (Read 7344 times)

ericball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 03:07:18 pm
vinyl for control panel?
« on: April 02, 2021, 08:58:52 pm »
Has anyone ever used (heavy) vinyl for a control panel without plexi/lexan?

Some local shops make custom vinyl banners at reasonable prices so I'm thinking something fairly heavy duty wrapped around 1/8" hardboard will be fine for home use.

I just have a feeling that it would take me at least two or three tries to successfully bend & cut holes in a plexi or lexan cover (plus the cost of the router bit).
MAME Projects % completed:
2004 3 sided cocktail cabinet w/ modular CP <25%
2004 Tempest cabinet & CP > 75%
2017 Raspberry Pi Zero W w/ Lakka microconsole 50%
2021 Vertical Bartop - in progress > 80%, 100% functional

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: vinyl for control panel?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 10:07:40 pm »
Yes, I generally don’t use plexi on curved CPs, and aside from being susceptible to high impact damage, I have never put much wear on any art I placed. I’ve had a few dings from a stray stool or dropped object, but nothing I would say bothered me, especially knowing I can just plop another decal on if it ever gets worse.

The thing you just need to pay attention to is the vinyl thickness and treatment. You will need something with a workable laminate protectant or outdoor treatment so you are not rubbing the ink off when playing. I have also found the finish is much more important when your hand is resting on it. I look for matte textured finish, it won’t stick to my  hand like glossy and smooth vinyl would.

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 10:52:29 pm »
I use it. My only advice, is make sure you get some adhesive promoter ( 3M Primer 94 & 3M Edge Sealer 3950 ) for the edges of the vinyl to prevent it from curling on you and to seal it down to the wood.

jaywv1981

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2022, 10:14:07 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 03:32:37 pm »
I usually have my control panel art UV printed on the reverse side of acrylic and have the same shop cut it the shape I want.  This usually costs me around 100 bucks but you don't have to mess with vinyl and getting it to apply properly.  Then I just drill the button/stick holes myself.

thelanranger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2022, 07:24:32 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 05:23:21 pm »
I usually have my control panel art UV printed on the reverse side of acrylic and have the same shop cut it the shape I want.  This usually costs me around 100 bucks but you don't have to mess with vinyl and getting it to apply properly.  Then I just drill the button/stick holes myself.

I would suggest this as well. Direct print is the current 'high tech' solution and pretty much a complete replacement to vinyl. You could have it printed before or after the plexi was done and tbh you could probably have it direct printed onto MDF if you undermounted everything and it would hold up just fine.

jaywv1981

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2022, 10:14:07 am
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 01:06:53 pm »
Yep, you can print directly on the MDF as well which I find is generally more expensive.  What I usually do is have it printed on the acrylic then I lay that on my wood (or sometimes PVC board) and trace the shape.  Then I cut the wood with my jigsaw and then drill the button/joystick holes in the wood.

Then I screw the acrylic to the wood by drilling small holes in the acrylic for the screws and finally drill the holes in the acrylic for the button/joysticks.

If the panel has curved edges I use U-Channel trim that snaps right on the edge without needing routed.  It only comes in black but is easy to spray paint any color.