Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Donkey Kong HSS Kit changes the colors  (Read 987 times)

Gilrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
Donkey Kong HSS Kit changes the colors
« on: May 14, 2022, 07:55:13 pm »
I installed a HighScoreSaves kit into my Donkey Kong and everything is working but I'm a little disappointed that it changed the colors.  Everything looks too dark.  Its not just the game even the game selection menu looks too dark.  I put the original chips back in just to make sure I hadn't hooked anything up wrong.  It's a little hard to show what I'm seeing because the photos are not coming out with the same color I see with the naked eye.  I attached a comparison image with the original chips on the left and the HSS kit chips on the right.  The guy that sells the HSS Kit says the image for the kit looks great the problem is that's not exactly what I'm seeing.  The girders for instance in the original chips do not look as pink as they do in this photo.  I'd say they look closer to the image on the right.  And that's the problem the image on the right actually looks darker than that in person.  He's telling me to adjust the pots on my neckboard but it just seems like I shouldn't have to do that but maybe I will.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
Re: Donkey Kong HSS Kit changes the colors
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 09:05:40 pm »
Just got the HSS kit installed back on the boards.  I messed around with some of the pots and it seems just a tiny adjustment to the Screen pot on the flyback takes away a touch of the darkness and makes it look better.  Notice how the gorillas fur isn't so dark brown.  I'm pretty happy with it now.  Only thing I need to keep an eye on is I swear the game reset right in the middle of playing level 1 and I've never had it do that.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 09:07:26 pm by Gilrock »

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:24:00 am
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 11:44:28 am »
I'm glad you've managed to (mostly) sort things out with your cab.

If the reset issue persists then I recommend you join "Kong League" on Discord.   There's a fairly active arcade support channel and others have the high score save kit installed.  I'm not sure if you'll need an invite but you can PM if you do.

Jon
Check out my Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 12:26:51 pm »
Yeah I'm not sure the reset had anything to do with the HSS kit.  I had rotated the cab to work on it and it was sitting on hard tiles and wasn't sitting level anymore.  The reset happened when the cab rocked a bit and one of the feet hit the tile although it probably shouldn't be that sensitive.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 08:59:19 pm »
It's funny what can can make the difference on original hardware. I have a Nintendo Red Tent and a couple Vs. PCBs for it. Even though they're identical (even used the same exact ROM chips in them) they each require slightly different monitor settings when I swap them around. I guess the electronics are old enough that they just output slightly different signals.

I'm guessing the same could go for what you're doing - the new HSS kit has some new chips that just affect the output a bit.