Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aimtrak Power Supply for recoil  (Read 2536 times)

MrThunderwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Aimtrak Power Supply for recoil
« on: May 14, 2022, 05:48:33 am »
Hey all, so I've just pulled the trigger (pun fully intended) on purchasing an Aimtrak gun from eBay. I'm drawing a bit of a blank though on places to get a power supply for the recoil function in the UK. I can't find any on eBay or Amazon from UK sellers or any companies that do them  with a bit of Google searching. There are some US vendors that sell them, but I am utterly clueless about how the whole US to UK voltage thing works, other than I know our voltage is higher here. If I purchase a US PSU for the gun, can I then just use a standard 'kettle cord' cable to plug into it? Pretty sure I've got a spare one from an old PC somewhere. Alternatively, do any fellow UK BYOAC-ers know a place to get this type of PSU from over here? Thanks in advance for any replies.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:42:35 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Aimtrak Power Supply for recoil
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 09:06:26 am »
There are some US vendors that sell them, but I am utterly clueless about how the whole US to UK voltage thing works, other than I know our voltage is higher here. If I purchase a US PSU for the gun, can I then just use a standard 'kettle cord' cable to plug into it?
As long as the PSU input range includes 240V/50Hz it will work fine in the UK.   :cheers:
- As always, check for a 110/240 switch before plugging in anything from the U.S.

BTW, the PSU picture you posted appears to show a Cloverleaf C5 connector instead of an "IEC" (standard 'kettle cord') connector and 18.5V/3.5A doesn't match the specs in the description.   :dizzy:
- It's probably a case of wrong photo, but they ship a PSU with the right specs.
- If it doesn't come with an IEC connector cord you might need to hunt down one with the right style of connector -- pretty sure the Cloverleaf C5 is used on some laptop PSUs.

If Andy and the other UK vendors selling AimTraks don't have any power supplies available, here are several UK leads that look promising.   ;D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384499125254
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384268701839

These two listings are for this power supply.  (P/N 175-2792)
- The "175-2792" entry at the bottom of page 4 of this PDF states that the output connector is "2.1 x 5.5 x 11mm, Centre Positive".

The only thing I'm not 100% certain about those is if the output barrel connector size is the same as on this power supply from ebay here in the U.S. that Andy links to on the AimTrak page.
Input : 100V-240V 50/60Hz
Output : DC 24V 4A / 4000mA
Output adapter jack size : 5.5mm x 2.5mm-2.1mm
Adapters Connector inside positive (+) outside negative (-)

If you can't confirm the barrel connector size, this listing has a power supply that you can solder on the right connector and it has an on/off switch if you would like that option.   ;D

Scott
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 09:32:52 am by PL1 »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 11:28:13 am »
Thanks for the info Scott and the links. Could you just elaborate on the following though please, I'm not sure what it actually means.

As always, check for a 110/240 switch before plugging in anything from the U.S.

Thanks!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 02:05:53 pm »
Thanks for the info Scott and the links. Could you just elaborate on the following though please, I'm not sure what it actually means.

As always, check for a 110/240 switch before plugging in anything from the U.S.
If you look on the bottom of a typical arcade power supply, there's a switch to select the input voltage.

You can see the silver body of the slider switch, but not the black actuator on top. 

On this computer PSU, you can see the red voltage selector switch.

Some power supplies automatically switch between US 110v and UK 220v power inputs.
- These won't have an external switch.   :cheers:

Scott

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 03:39:12 pm »
Ahhhh, interesting, I'd never seen one of those switches before. Thanks once again for the useful info  :cheers:

The only thing I'm not 100% certain about those is if the output barrel connector size is the same as on this power supply from ebay here in the U.S. that Andy links to on the AimTrak page.

So, if I'm understanding this right, that US eBay link you linked to from Andy's page, looks like it should be OK to use over here then  as the Input :is 100V-240V 50/60Hz? So if I just swap out the US Cloverleaf C5 connector cable for a UK power outlet one I should be good to go?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 04:06:33 pm by MrThunderwing »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 07:13:22 pm »
So, if I'm understanding this right, that US eBay link you linked to from Andy's page, looks like it should be OK to use over here then  as the Input :is 100V-240V 50/60Hz? So if I just swap out the US Cloverleaf C5 connector cable for a UK power outlet one I should be good to go?
The suspected Cloverleaf C5 is in this photo that you posted.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I can't tell if this power supply that Andy links to uses an IEC or Cloverleaf C5 cord.   :dunno

This power supply will work for you.  The only question is which type of cord you'll need.
- If it's an IEC cord, you'll need the one in the pic you posted earlier.

- If it's a Cloverleaf C5, you'll need one like this.

Scott
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 07:25:56 pm by PL1 »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 03:57:29 am »
Cheers Scott, nice one. I'm going to order the PSU from the eBay dude in the US and just wait and see what type of cable it is when it arrives. Thanks again for your help!  :cheers:

Nitro0602

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 09:28:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 07:46:51 pm »
Hey guys,
I have these guns.. was wondering is there a way to get them to recoil constantly if you hold down the trigger?
I also have the sindens, but as much as I wanted to love them.. just don’t like the entire setup process, white borders, and the weak recoil due to it playing off a usb.

I almost want to see if I can put the aimtrak internals inside the sindens and keep the dpad etc..lol

Anyways let me know if anyone one has done so for the aimtrak continuous recoil.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 02:08:08 pm »
Welp, got the gun in the post earlier in the week and have finally had a chance to set it up and have a play around with it today. Pretty happy with it all-in-all, although couldn't get everything to play nice with it. After a bit of configuring and calibrating, Supermodel, Model 2 emulator and MAME all work OK. House of the Dead Scarlet Dawn also works great, so that's pretty awesome.

Time Crisis 5 doesn't want to cooperate. Has always played OK with my mouse, but the cursor goes haywire with the gun. There's a lengthy thread on another forum where in the first couple of pages people mentioned about the cursor being way too overly sensitive in it with Aimtraks. I haven't made it to the end yet of that long thread yet to see if there's a fix. Light gun games in Teknoparrot sort of work, but the only button input they register is the left button on the side of the gun (which comes up as right button on the TeknoparrotUI when I try to configure the gun). If I press the trigger it still comes up as 'right button', but in game it'd only the actual left button that does anything. I noticed MAME was also not registering all the buttons as individual inputs, so for games with more than 2 buttons, I had to use a keyboard input.

I'm aware of DEMULShooter, but I know nothing about it, wondering if it might fix some of these issues. I've got the old PC version of House of the Dead 2, which I haven't tried in years - the game keeps opening in the wrong monitor (a much smaller one to the side of my main display) on my dual screen set-up, which is most vexatious. I tried turning the desktop back to single screen, but then the game doesn't start at all - it mustn't like the resolution or summat. I wonder if it might be easier to just try the actual Naomi version in DEMUL. Oooooh, I've just remebered about Virtua Cop 3 on CXBXR - I've only ever played that with a joypad, but I think there's an option for mouses (mice..?) now.

Hey guys,
I have these guns.. was wondering is there a way to get them to recoil constantly if you hold down the trigger?
I also have the sindens, but as much as I wanted to love them.. just don’t like the entire setup process, white borders, and the weak recoil due to it playing off a usb.

I almost want to see if I can put the aimtrak internals inside the sindens and keep the dpad etc..lol

Anyways let me know if anyone one has done so for the aimtrak continuous recoil.

If you find a solution to this please pass it on. I'm still waiting on the PSU to arrive to test the recoil.

Edit: OK, just got the Naomi arcade version of House of the Dead 2 working in DEMUL along with Confidential Mission and Maze of the Kings. Trying to get Ninja Assault working but for some reason no controls work in it. Also got Aliens Extermination working too now in it's standalone launcher. All the buttons work properly this way, so that beats playing it in Teknoparrot. Was able to get the Aimtrak working with Virtua Cop 3 in CXBXR too, but was having the same issue of only one button working. I suddenly remembered though that I can swap the buttons around in the Aimtrak config, so I've been able to at least make that one working button the trigger, rather than one on the side.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 05:39:25 pm by MrThunderwing »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 03:46:34 pm »
The power supply turned up today. It was actually a slightly different connector for the plug, one with just two holes (don't know the name of it). Fortunately I had a spare one from an old camera I don't use anymore. Anyway, plugged it in and everything works perfectly, recoil on the gun doing what it's supposed to and my house didn't explode, so bonus! Thanks again for all your help with this Scott, it's been greatly appreciated!  :cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 04:26:45 pm »
plugged it in and everything works perfectly, recoil on the gun doing what it's supposed to and my house didn't explode, so bonus!
Glad to hear everything works for you and your house didn't explode.   :cheers:   :lol

Scott