Main > Lightguns

Aimtrak Power Supply for recoil

(1/3) > >>

MrThunderwing:
Hey all, so I've just pulled the trigger (pun fully intended) on purchasing an Aimtrak gun from eBay. I'm drawing a bit of a blank though on places to get a power supply for the recoil function in the UK. I can't find any on eBay or Amazon from UK sellers or any companies that do them  with a bit of Google searching. There are some US vendors that sell them, but I am utterly clueless about how the whole US to UK voltage thing works, other than I know our voltage is higher here. If I purchase a US PSU for the gun, can I then just use a standard 'kettle cord' cable to plug into it? Pretty sure I've got a spare one from an old PC somewhere. Alternatively, do any fellow UK BYOAC-ers know a place to get this type of PSU from over here? Thanks in advance for any replies.

PL1:

--- Quote from: MrThunderwing on May 14, 2022, 05:48:33 am ---There are some US vendors that sell them, but I am utterly clueless about how the whole US to UK voltage thing works, other than I know our voltage is higher here. If I purchase a US PSU for the gun, can I then just use a standard 'kettle cord' cable to plug into it?

--- End quote ---
As long as the PSU input range includes 240V/50Hz it will work fine in the UK.   :cheers:
- As always, check for a 110/240 switch before plugging in anything from the U.S.

BTW, the PSU picture you posted appears to show a Cloverleaf C5 connector instead of an "IEC" (standard 'kettle cord') connector and 18.5V/3.5A doesn't match the specs in the description.   :dizzy:
- It's probably a case of wrong photo, but they ship a PSU with the right specs.
- If it doesn't come with an IEC connector cord you might need to hunt down one with the right style of connector -- pretty sure the Cloverleaf C5 is used on some laptop PSUs.

If Andy and the other UK vendors selling AimTraks don't have any power supplies available, here are several UK leads that look promising.   ;D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384499125254
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384268701839

These two listings are for this power supply.  (P/N 175-2792)
- The "175-2792" entry at the bottom of page 4 of this PDF states that the output connector is "2.1 x 5.5 x 11mm, Centre Positive".

The only thing I'm not 100% certain about those is if the output barrel connector size is the same as on this power supply from ebay here in the U.S. that Andy links to on the AimTrak page.

--- Quote ---Input : 100V-240V 50/60Hz
Output : DC 24V 4A / 4000mA
Output adapter jack size : 5.5mm x 2.5mm-2.1mm
Adapters Connector inside positive (+) outside negative (-)

--- End quote ---

If you can't confirm the barrel connector size, this listing has a power supply that you can solder on the right connector and it has an on/off switch if you would like that option.   ;D

Scott

MrThunderwing:
Thanks for the info Scott and the links. Could you just elaborate on the following though please, I'm not sure what it actually means.

--- Quote --- As always, check for a 110/240 switch before plugging in anything from the U.S.
--- End quote ---

Thanks!

PL1:

--- Quote from: MrThunderwing on May 14, 2022, 11:28:13 am ---Thanks for the info Scott and the links. Could you just elaborate on the following though please, I'm not sure what it actually means.

--- Quote --- As always, check for a 110/240 switch before plugging in anything from the U.S.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
If you look on the bottom of a typical arcade power supply, there's a switch to select the input voltage.

You can see the silver body of the slider switch, but not the black actuator on top. 

On this computer PSU, you can see the red voltage selector switch.

Some power supplies automatically switch between US 110v and UK 220v power inputs.
- These won't have an external switch.   :cheers:

Scott

MrThunderwing:
Ahhhh, interesting, I'd never seen one of those switches before. Thanks once again for the useful info  :cheers:

--- Quote ---The only thing I'm not 100% certain about those is if the output barrel connector size is the same as on this power supply from ebay here in the U.S. that Andy links to on the AimTrak page.
--- End quote ---

So, if I'm understanding this right, that US eBay link you linked to from Andy's page, looks like it should be OK to use over here then  as the Input :is 100V-240V 50/60Hz? So if I just swap out the US Cloverleaf C5 connector cable for a UK power outlet one I should be good to go?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version