Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Getting Steam to work with GPWiz 40?  (Read 1236 times)

tylerwerrin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2022, 02:16:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Getting Steam to work with GPWiz 40?
« on: May 13, 2022, 03:36:34 am »
Hi guys,

My GPWiz works great with almost all of my emulators - they usually recognize it right away as a controller that I can map to. However, I cannot get Steam to recognize the GPWiz  for any of the games I'd like to play. I'm talking about Windjammers 2, Killer Queen and Steel Assault. None of them will let me map controls to the GPWiz - they only see my keyboard or a bluetooth gamepad (xboxOne, ps5, etc).

Has anyone out there had any luck getting Steam to recognize the GPWiz ? Does anyone have any recommendations for where I should investigate?

Thanks!

Tyler
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:52:23 am by tylerwerrin »

tylerwerrin

• Offline Offline
Re: Getting Steam to work with GPWiz 40?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 11:53:39 am »
I contacted Randy on GGG and he informed me that it is an issue relating to DirectInput vs DirectX/Xinput. Are there any solutions you guys have come across to translate DirectInput to DirectX so the GP Wiz will work with Steam?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 12:48:58 pm »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:54:08 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 01:28:56 pm »
I contacted Randy on GGG and he informed me that it is an issue relating to DirectInput vs DirectX/Xinput. Are there any solutions you guys have come across to translate DirectInput to DirectX so the GP Wiz will work with Steam?

You should be able to use the Steam controller configuration settings, even on a per-game basis.  If the game accepts keyboard controls (most do) you can set up a generic PC gaming controller in Steam to output keys to the game when one of the inputs is activated.

https://wiki.albany.edu/display/icehcspace/%5BSteam%5D+How+to+set+up+a+controller+for+any+PC+game

tylerwerrin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 02:17:10 pm »
setting up a generic controller in steam doesn't work with the GPWiz - just tested it with steel assault, the GP wiz still isn't being recognized as either a controller or a keyboard.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:54:08 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 04:33:13 pm »
setting up a generic controller in steam doesn't work with the GPWiz - just tested it with steel assault, the GP wiz still isn't being recognized as either a controller or a keyboard.

Setting up a controller in Steam is not super intuitive and it takes some effort to figure it out.  It's definitely not a plug and play endeavor.  Essentially, you have to enable support for whichever controller you expect to use, in this case a "generic controller".  Once enabled, it needs to be selected and then mapped to the functions of an XBOX style controller and then either enabled globally or with different profiles on a per game basis.    When I plugged in the GP-Wiz, it was listed as such, as an option to select.  After the inputs were mapped, Steam viewed it as an XBOX controller.  Once I enabled it for the game, I could then use it to control Street Fighter 5, which was the game I selected for testing.

It's a very powerful system, but with power comes complexity.  You will also be trying to configure it to output keys for your specific game of interest, so that is another layer of configuration.  As it is not something I use often, I suggest seeking help from those more knowledgeable than I am on the topic of Steam controller configuration.    But I can say that Steam definitely sees and can use the GP-Wiz and then send input to games based on your mappings because I just saw it happen :).