Main > Main Forum

Soliciting opinions: One player style CP layout adding trackball/spinner/4way

(1/4) > >>

John IV [MameUI64]:
Hey everyone, long time no check-in. :) I was in Saint's book back in the day w/ my MAME32QA controller and then had Northcoast mill me a professional version in '05.  Good to see things are still flowing here.

I'm looking at a potential new build, but am not finding too many examples of a *single* player setup with robotron type controls (2 8-way sticks) with 6 SF2 buttons between them and then adding a trackball, spinner, and maybe a 4-way to the mix somehow in different layouts. 

Are there any examples from folks I can peruse that you remember?  I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work since my existing CPs are relatively compact w/ their dimensions (18"x 8").  This would be a desktop controller BTW.  Thanks for any suggestions.

John IV
www.mameui.info

BadMouth:
I don't know of any examples, but the trackball is a tall order on a single player setup.  I'd want the joysticks located to center the player with the screen, but would also want the trackball centered for bowling and golf games.  I guess if you weren't worried about bowling or golf games, the trackball could be placed to the side.

I always wanted to do a trackball panel that folded down into the front of the cab when not in use, but that won't work on a desktop.

There is the stickied thread of control panel pics:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,59359.0.html
Not sure there is anything in there that matches your criteria though.

PL1:

--- Quote from: BadMouth on May 06, 2022, 02:05:52 pm ---I always wanted to do a trackball panel that folded down into the front of the cab when not in use, but that won't work on a desktop.

--- End quote ---
How about a standalone USB trackball that sits between the sticks and over the player buttons?

PBJ made something similar here.
- I'd use soft grippy rubber feet like these instead of metal ones for this application.

Use a Neutrik NAUSB-W-B feedthru on the back of the trackball housing if you want a removable USB cable.

Scott

PL1:

--- Quote from: John IV [MameUI64] on May 06, 2022, 01:05:13 pm ---I'm looking at a potential new build, but am not finding too many examples of a *single* player setup with robotron type controls (2 8-way sticks) with 6 SF2 buttons between them and then adding a trackball, spinner, and maybe a 4-way to the mix somehow in different layouts. 

Are there any examples from folks I can peruse that you remember?  I'm having trouble visualizing how this would work since my existing CPs are relatively compact w/ their dimensions (18"x 8").  This would be a desktop controller BTW.

--- End quote ---
That's too many controls to fit comfortably into that small footprint, but you could easily split it into several standalone desktop controllers.
- Twin 8-way sticks + 6 player buttons.
- Trackball + 3 player buttons -- mirror the buttons for ambidexterous play if desired. (see PBJ's trackball pic above)
- 4-way stick + (3 or 4?) player buttons -- mirror the buttons for ambidexterous play if desired.

Each controller should include basic admin buttons such as Coin, Start, Exit, and Pause.

Put an I-Pac or Arduino encoder and a Neutrik feedthru in each controller so you can use one USB cable and swap out the controllers as desired.   ;D

Scott

thelanranger:

--- Quote from: BadMouth on May 06, 2022, 02:05:52 pm ---I don't know of any examples, but the trackball is a tall order on a single player setup.  I'd want the joysticks located to center the player with the screen, but would also want the trackball centered for bowling and golf games.  I guess if you weren't worried about bowling or golf games, the trackball could be placed to the side.

I always wanted to do a trackball panel that folded down into the front of the cab when not in use, but that won't work on a desktop.

There is the stickied thread of control panel pics:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,59359.0.html
Not sure there is anything in there that matches your criteria though.

--- End quote ---

I'd agree with this. I stared at this in AutoCAD for days and couldn't make it work. The trackballs are simply too large to get into 24". If you put one out on the table and move your hand around on it you'll find that you don't want any kind of protruding object within a 5-7" circle (depending on how big your hand is). If you simply squeeze everything into 10" player sizes (which is really tight) you can tell right off that you're not getting that between two 24" walls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version