Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2 players LAN with Outrun 2 (teknoparrot). Help!  (Read 3588 times)

anchounio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 04:24:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
2 players LAN with Outrun 2 (teknoparrot). Help!
« on: May 04, 2022, 06:53:57 pm »
Hi

I'm trying to prepare a LAN between 2 computers running Outrun 2 in teknoparrot. Outrun2 runs perfectly on both computers, but I'm unable to link them.
It seems everything is well configured, it even shows the message "connection has been established" but it ends up with the error message "cabinet setting is not coherent" on player 2 computer

Player 1 computer is configurated with:

ip: 192.168.0.1

subnet: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.0.5

DNS: 192.168.0.5
I've configured teknoparrot with the same parameters.

Player 2 computer config is:

ip: 192.168.0.2

subnet: 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.0.5

DNS: 192.168.0.5

I've configured teknoparrot with the same parameters.

Player1 test menu config can be seen in the file lan1.jpg

Player2 test menu config can be seen in the file lan1.jpg

Any ideas ?
What am I missing?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: 2 players LAN with Outrun 2 (teknoparrot). Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 08:27:49 pm »
This is mine from cab2 (of 2). Only difference to cab1 settings is the link ID. Maybe try making both cabs SDX not DX? I'm also running a version of TP last updated about 6 months back, so maybe it's broken now?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 08:29:50 pm by buttersoft »

anchounio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 04:41:06 am »
Hi
Thx for your help
In my case it also fails in SDX.

What about yout network settings in each PC and in teknoparrot?

anchounio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 12:03:46 pm »
Hi
I exchanged the computers IP's and the error has mutated. The mentioned error message is no more. Now both PC's load the game, but one just closes to Windows (the one with ID1), the other (ID02) runs the game properly but it freezes in the first screen of the game, because the other (ID01) closed to windows and the synchronicity got lost.

I've made a video about it:

But now I have to figure out how to solve the other error.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 04:42:45 pm by anchounio »

anchounio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 01:31:31 pm »
I've solved it !!!

The problem in the closing computer was that teknoparrot was taking the integrated graphic card. It is a laptop with 2 graphic cards. An integrated intel and a good NVIDIA geforce. The curious thing is that the game had no problems to run like this in single player mode with the intel graphic card.  With the Nvidia control panel app I made it to run from the nvidia graphic card and now it runs with no problems in LAN :)
I guess the problem was that the intel card was not running vsync, which is require for the LAN to not lose synchronicity.

Now I'll try a 3 player LAN with a windows 7 computer I also have here.

UPDATED: I've found out that the "cabinet setting is not coherent" issue was caused by the same: the intel graphics card being used by Teknoparrot  :angry:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 04:43:27 pm by anchounio »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 07:19:14 pm »
Glad to hear you figured it out, and thank you for posting the solution. Might help someone else in future :)

Pippino8181

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2023, 03:45:51 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 12:00:59 pm »
I've solved it !!!

The problem in the closing computer was that teknoparrot was taking the integrated graphic card. It is a laptop with 2 graphic cards. An integrated intel and a good NVIDIA geforce. The curious thing is that the game had no problems to run like this in single player mode with the intel graphic card.  With the Nvidia control panel app I made it to run from the nvidia graphic card and now it runs with no problems in LAN :)
I guess the problem was that the intel card was not running vsync, which is require for the LAN to not lose synchronicity.

Now I'll try a 3 player LAN with a windows 7 computer I also have here.

UPDATED: I've found out that the "cabinet setting is not coherent" issue was caused by the same: the intel graphics card being used by Teknoparrot  :angry:

Hi i have same problem like you.. changed Amd settings but Outrun at the start crash on laptop while is playable on pc ..

Pippino8181

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 01:34:25 pm »
My amd settings

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 04:49:46 pm »
I'm not sure i can link to a site with the patch, but if you google the words "Teknoparrot compatibility" and click on the title Outrun2SPSDX, it will take you a page with some more information. You might need the AMD fix from there. Also make sure your Teknoparrot is up to date.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 06:42:45 pm »
I'm not sure i can link to a site with the patch, but if you google the words "Teknoparrot compatibility" and click on the title Outrun2SPSDX, it will take you a page with some more information. You might need the AMD fix from there. Also make sure your Teknoparrot is up to date.
Nothing wrong with linking to this Github page. (I assume this is the one you were talking about, right?)
- There are no copyrighted game files on this Github -- see disclaimer at the bottom of the page.
- Patches are legal as long as the author doesn't include copyrighted assets that don't belong to them.  Copyright of the patch code belongs to the patch author.

https://teknogods.github.io/compatibility/or2spdlx.htm

Scott
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 06:52:03 pm by PL1 »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 08:15:41 pm »
Cheers. That was my interpretation, but i wanted to be careful.

Also, Pippino8181, you are showing settings for TeknoparrotUI. That is just Teknoparrot's front-end GUI. Teknoparrot itself launches different loader programs depending on the game. I'm fairly certain OR2SPSDX doesn't use the elf loader program, but i can't remember what it does use. Look at the titlebars of the black cmd windows that teknoparrot opens first when you launch the game. It might be that you can adjust settings for one of those. You shouldn't need to in this case, so that might be more general advice.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 08:41:52 pm by buttersoft »

Pippino8181

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 10:11:01 pm »

If i run outrun2spdx in single mode it works perfectly.. My problem is in lan mode.. amd fix in my opinion isn’t the problem.. in this topic some users solved setting vsync into amd software.. but in my case laptop crashes if i set vsync in teknoparrot Ui.. amd software Don’t allow me to change setting in others .exe that teknoparrot Ui open First when i launch the game

Pippino8181

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 10:22:56 pm »
Nothing wrong with linking to this Github page. (I assume this is the one you were talking about, right?)
- There are no copyrighted game files on this Github -- see disclaimer at the bottom of the page.
- Patches are legal as long as the author doesn't include copyrighted assets that don't belong to them.  Copyright of the patch code belongs to the patch author.

https://teknogods.github.io/compatibility/or2spdlx.htm

GitHub tuto isn’t correct .. if i set an unique link id there is no lan connection..id on pc is:1 and id on laptop is:2.. if i follow GitHub tuto when outrun2 starts shows in both pc and laptop a flashing text: ‘waiting for Network connection’ .. if i set id1 and id2 on laptop and pc Outrun 2 show text ‘connection exthabilished’ but the game in laptop crashes while on pc game runs (a user linked a YouTube video of the problem above)

The tuto in GitHub isn’t correct.. unique link id Don’t allow to lan pc and laptop.. text ‘waiting for connection network’ flashes in both pc and laptop without never connect anything .. in game setting (in test menu) laptop id is:1 while pc id is: 2 .. in this case text is ‘connection extabilished’ but in My case laptop after 2 seconds
crashes
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 10:52:13 pm by PL1 »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2023, 11:33:08 pm »
right, i misunderstood. Bear with me a minute, I'm still not 100% clear on your setup as there is obviously a language barrier. I'm sure you already have this part right, but just to check...

To get two instances of the game running in LAN, you need two PCs running the game. Each PC needs a different IP address on the same subnet. And each copy of OR2SPSDX needs a different link ID. So, as an example for two machines

PC1 - IP 192.168.0.17
then in OR2 test menu:
Link ID 1
Total Machine 2
Group 1

PC2 - IP 192.168.0.18
Link ID 2
Total Machine 2
Group 1

As i said, i think you have all that bit right. It should not matter which PC is link ID 1 and which link ID 2, but we're troubleshooting here. So, are you sure the game itself is using the AMD GPU? I know you can set that in windows, but i cannot see the setting in your screenshots - and i do not speak Italian, sorry :( I would try to set this in windows as well as in Radeon Settings.

Can you go into Radeon/AMD settings again, and manually search for the loader programs Teknoparrot UI is loading? Or try to capture the running game? If you run the game windowed, the autohotkey window spy app (called AU3_Spy) can tell you what the process behind it is called. I think one of those cmd windows is from budgieloader.exe but i am not sure what runs the main OR2SPSDX process/window FREEGLUT.

Unlocking v-sync might be a good thing to try! I realise that the game is v-sync locked, and meant to run at 60Hz. My screen refresh rate is 50Hz, so the game will run at 50/60Hz = 5/6th speed. If the refresh rate is faster, the game will run faster. If the two games are not running at the same speed, i think the link fails, maybe the same as in this thread. I cannot remember if i proved this or not.

Unlocking v-sync did not work with Radeon settings for me, as i have found most teknoparrot games do not. I had to use a windowed mode the same size as the screen resolution (because programs running in a window are not v-sync locked) and then i have an autohotkey script to make the window borderless and move it to the exact right spot to fill the screen. You can then set a flat 60hz frame limit in a program like RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS) and run whatever refresh rate you want for your screen. I could not use my slightly older Radeon Settings to cap the game's frame rate like this.

I wonder if this will make the intel/AMD combo work for LAN? Perhaps it is a timing issue, and you have the right idea. You might need to do this on both PC's here, i am not sure.

Other than that... Are both your GPU's AMD? Do we know anyone running LAN with one AMD and one Nvidia card? Both mine are AMD using the same drivers.

Sorry, i am on medication right now and a bit woozy. I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 03:30:07 am by buttersoft »

Pippino8181

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2023, 06:41:02 am »
right, i misunderstood. Bear with me a minute, I'm still not 100% clear on your setup as there is obviously a language barrier. I'm sure you already have this part right, but just to check...

To get two instances of the game running in LAN, you need two PCs running the game. Each PC needs a different IP address on the same subnet. And each copy of OR2SPSDX needs a different link ID. So, as an example for two machines

PC1 - IP 192.168.0.17
then in OR2 test menu:
Link ID 1
Total Machine 2
Group 1

PC2 - IP 192.168.0.18
Link ID 2
Total Machine 2
Group 1

As i said, i think you have all that bit right. It should not matter which PC is link ID 1 and which link ID 2, but we're troubleshooting here. So, are you sure the game itself is using the AMD GPU? I know you can set that in windows, but i cannot see the setting in your screenshots - and i do not speak Italian, sorry :( I would try to set this in windows as well as in Radeon Settings.

Can you go into Radeon/AMD settings again, and manually search for the loader programs Teknoparrot UI is loading? Or try to capture the running game? If you run the game windowed, the autohotkey window spy app (called AU3_Spy) can tell you what the process behind it is called. I think one of those cmd windows is from budgieloader.exe but i am not sure what runs the main OR2SPSDX process/window FREEGLUT.

Unlocking v-sync might be a good thing to try! I realise that the game is v-sync locked, and meant to run at 60Hz. My screen refresh rate is 50Hz, so the game will run at 50/60Hz = 5/6th speed. If the refresh rate is faster, the game will run faster. If the two games are not running at the same speed, i think the link fails, maybe the same as in this thread. I cannot remember if i proved this or not.

Unlocking v-sync did not work with Radeon settings for me, as i have found most teknoparrot games do not. I had to use a windowed mode the same size as the screen resolution (because programs running in a window are not v-sync locked) and then i have an autohotkey script to make the window borderless and move it to the exact right spot to fill the screen. You can then set a flat 60hz frame limit in a program like RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS) and run whatever refresh rate you want for your screen. I could not use my slightly older Radeon Settings to cap the game's frame rate like this.

I wonder if this will make the intel/AMD combo work for LAN? Perhaps it is a timing issue, and you have the right idea. You might need to do this on both PC's here, i am not sure.

Other than that... Are both your GPU's AMD? Do we know anyone running LAN with one AMD and one Nvidia card? Both mine are AMD using the same drivers.

Sorry, i am on medication right now and a bit woozy. I hope this helps.

Hi sorry for my english 🥹 and thanks for patience
Pc have a nvidia 1030
Laptop have amd 5030

I'll try to set the program that teknoparrot launches when starting outrun2spd in the amd control panel and if I can't I'll try to play in windows mode .. if I can't I'll buy another desktop pc like the other 😂

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2023, 11:34:13 pm »
I'll try to set the program that teknoparrot launches when starting outrun2spd in the amd control panel and if I can't I'll try to play in windows mode .. if I can't I'll buy another desktop pc like the other 😂

If you are in windowed mode, remember you will need to limit the framerate to 60 with Radeon Settings. And if that does not work, try RTSS.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 11:39:42 pm by buttersoft »

Pippino8181

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2023, 11:17:35 am »

If you are in windowed mode, remember you will need to limit the framerate to 60 with Radeon Settings. And if that does not work, try RTSS.

I try but no result

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 06:35:56 pm »
You mean, no result when you tried to disable v-sync? Or do you mean that you are running windowed mode and v-sync is unlocked, but the frame limit of 60 does not work? I am not surprised - Radeon Settings does not help with most Teknoparrot games.

In order to eliminate as many elements as possible, i would try running the game in windowed mode on both PC's. If it refuses to link, and /or if it runs too fast, use RTSS to limit the frames to 60. (RTSS also has an option for a little FPS display in the corner, so you can see how fast the game is actually running)