Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Software Release List  (Read 4635 times)

Dazzzzz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 07:21:38 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Megatouch Software Release List
« on: May 04, 2022, 06:24:06 am »
Hi all,

I have been trying to compile a list of all the software releases, however information is hard to come by online and not having access to all the install media means I cant verify everything myself.
If you have any familiarity with the Megatouch software releases and are willing to take a look i would be very grateful, if you spot anything that is wrong on the list or you know of a different version I have missed then please let me know as i dont have access to every piece of hardware or key to check these.

Software Diagram
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aRqBxZlywqaxNYiguferEQ0MCxQLivsy/view?usp=sharing

Software List with more information
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N8BwoIDbAnzM-JJOihlRWDHA4VVW6UAkxObG1iNkqnE/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:04:32 am
Re: Megatouch Software Release List
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 08:04:42 am »
There is also a very early GameTime version based off force 03 or 04 that ran on the radions

Boardwalk was an Ion platform game circa 2006. Used the purple ecs board, a security key, and a "plays" key

Kidzpace/touch2play for ion was updated through 2013. The ion 2013 key worked on this kidzpace version and vise versa.

I have all the force and ion ISOs. And mainly all Maxx/XL. There are generally multiple versions for each year. For example, even though there was no ion 2012.5 there were 2 maybe 3 versions of ion 2012
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 08:06:23 am by Megatouchmike »

Dazzzzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 08:59:09 am »
Thank you for the information, I will update the Diagram and upload a new version.
Did the Kidzspace software just use the regular ION discs do you know?

I am just going through which ISO's I have so I can see which ones im missing

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 09:37:02 am »
Kidzpace up until 2013 used the same as Ion.  2013 was an interesting year as they added hardware support for very specific VIA chipset and only for touch2play (never made it to ion 13/14).  Sound is broken in the only image of this that I have (but I was able to fix by recompiling the kernel), but it could be because I don't have the specific VIA board.

Also I remembered there is a version of GameTime specifically made for the Aurora GT which is Ion 2010.5.  Used the security key SA3609-01

I keep thinking of more...Megatouch Entertainer was based off the Ion platform.  Case was essentially a Wallette with a 17" screen.  Had an I/O board with a better amplifier, plugs for speaker wire in the back.   Also took 2 security keys, SA3556-01 and I can't recall the other off the top of my head.

Dazzzzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 10:13:32 am »
Thanks again, this diagram is now getting quite large.

Not familiar with Kidzpace or GameTime, i wasnt aware that they did this many different versions.
I have to say the Mr. VIPS is my current favourite

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 06:51:13 pm »
Had VIPS running on a Radion long time ago.  Got enough hardware together to at least get it running.  There are actually 2 machines on Facebook marketplace right now non-working.  Wish I had the time to travel and fix one up.

Dazzzzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 03:26:53 am »
Very cool seeing it running on a different set of hardware, ive never that software release at all.
To be fair I only ever saw Force machines out in the wild here and they were few and far between.
Thats been a problem with documenting the software releases and trying to find out where everything fits, here in the UK I just dont seem to have access to any of the more unique machines and the custom software releases that they included.
Oh well I guess the search is half the fun.

thanks again for sharing the information, its much appreciated

MasterOfNone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2022, 12:19:24 am
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 07:57:33 am »
I have the VIA mobo's, so I could try out touch2play here if I had the image and knew which I/O it likes. Also have a complete original Aurora GT, so will copy the image for the library.  I've reluctantly passed on a lot of Boardwalk stuff, only because I felt like I had to draw the line somewhere on this collection..., but looks like I'll eventually be establishing a public arcade museum as part of an arts center that's being built here, so will have thousands of square feet to fill... Definitely want a Mr. VIP's, but I like the more streamlined one that's on the cover of the manual. :)
I'm guessing the second key in the Entertainer was part of an online play requirement?

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 11:08:31 am »
I have the VIA mobo's, so I could try out touch2play here if I had the image and knew which I/O it likes. Also have a complete original Aurora GT, so will copy the image for the library.  I've reluctantly passed on a lot of Boardwalk stuff, only because I felt like I had to draw the line somewhere on this collection..., but looks like I'll eventually be establishing a public arcade museum as part of an arts center that's being built here, so will have thousands of square feet to fill... Definitely want a Mr. VIP's, but I like the more streamlined one that's on the cover of the manual. :)
I'm guessing the second key in the Entertainer was part of an online play requirement?

I'm pretty sure I still have the image.  You need the T2P I/O which I haven't seen in a long time...it's pretty small, like half the size of a hard drive.  I used it to fix another T2P with a bad amplifier and now regret it because I've never been able to find another.

The second entertainer key was used to tell the software it was ok to enable the jukebox.  It had some odd pairing with the other security key - if you booted the machine with 1 key and not the other, you would get a specific message about a missing "ES key".

MasterOfNone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 12:09:32 pm »
I've seen some typical looking ion evo's with 2 keys, so that probably indicates a machine was used for juke too..., which goes along with what I read about the second key being related to an internet requirement, since jukes have no option for offline operation..., well, unless you're as talented a hacker as someone I know! :)

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 04:07:39 pm »
no, the second key you're seeing in the 17" evo's is the cabinet identification key.  Auroras and Rx's have them also.  It's a key that would tell the tournamaxx server what type of cabinet it was.  that's all

any connectivity requirement came from the security key

MasterOfNone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 12:49:50 pm »
Thanks a lot, good to know. Pretty sure I saw a 2nd key in 15" Evo's too, but kind of a blur at this point. I should document interesting stuff right when I see it...

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 08:24:13 am »
Daz - any progress on the games list? I've got uno and chip away ported to ion 2014. Trying to figure out all the games that have been removed to get them back

Spank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 07:49:40 pm
  • I like to help out.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2022, 02:50:27 pm »
I liked Skeeball, I think it was removed in ION 2010 or so, was replaced with alley roller I think it was called. Skeeball was better in MHO.
How hard it is to add games in? I miss uno.
I made up kinda a list on the Maxx versions added and removed per version. It may have been posted in here.
I could look around for it if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 02:52:24 pm by Spank »

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2022, 11:00:29 pm »
I liked Skeeball, I think it was removed in ION 2010 or so, was replaced with alley roller I think it was called. Skeeball was better in MHO.
How hard it is to add games in? I miss uno.
I made up kinda a list on the Maxx versions added and removed per version. It may have been posted in here.
I could look around for it if anyone is interested.

OGL games (like skeeball) aren't working and might never work. 3d rendering libraries are looking for different kernels drivers and I end up in dependency hell.

It's fairly easy to add old games now that I've figured out the method of doing so

Dazzzzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2022, 01:35:10 am »
Daz - any progress on the games list? I've got uno and chip away ported to ion 2014. Trying to figure out all the games that have been removed to get them back

Hello there, sorry been on holiday/vacation for a week and just got back!
I have not updated the list yet but I will be looking at it this week so hopefully I can get an update done.
Very nice work on Porting over the games.

On the subject of UNO, just a quick question, does anyone know why UNO seems to get turned off when your turn on Adult mode (i think its that)? seems a strange game to turn of

Dazzzzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2022, 01:46:48 am »
Mike, should i concentrate on the later ION releases first? say 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and get the games list from them as they might port over easier

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2022, 07:57:03 am »
Mike, should i concentrate on the later ION releases first? say 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011 and get the games list from them as they might port over easier

I'd say start from force 2003 and go up. I feel like a lot more of the games on the earlier versions were removed