Main > Main Forum

Rotary joystick/spinner with push/pull option

(1/7) > >>

haynor666:
I'm rebuilding my own CAB PC and I was thinking about adding finally rotary joystick for old SNK games and spinner with push/pull option (for Forgotten Worlds, Disc of Tron). What options are now on market? Finding original on market is now really hard not too mention prices. The same goes to spinner with push/pull option.

PL1:

--- Quote from: haynor666 on May 03, 2022, 03:04:45 pm ---I'm rebuilding my own CAB PC and I was thinking about adding finally rotary joystick for old SNK games and spinner with push/pull option (for Forgotten Worlds, Disc of Tron). What options are now on market?

--- End quote ---
Push/pull spinner:
AFAIK there are two commercial options either currently or recently in production.

GGG TurboTwist High-Low™ Push-Pull Arcade Spinner Control -- Higher quality optical encoder.

GRS Push & Pull Arcade Spinner -- Lower quality Hall-effect encoder.

Rotary joystick:
AFAIK there are no commercial options currently in production.
- Several years ago, Happ stopped making the mechanical rotary stick (P/N 50-5618-00) that was based on the Happ Super.

I'm in the very early stages of designing a shaft replacement + 3d printable rotary mod for the IL Eurojoystick/Happ Competition or the IL Compact/Happ Super or the Seimitsu LS-32(microswitch and PCB versions)/Zippyy sticks.
- All of these sticks have a 10mm shaft, like the handle replacement mod I did here.
- You'll need a 12 position rotary switch like this one.  That's the closest I could find other than getting the original switch used on the Happ rotary stick and dealing with Happ's minimum orders and overpriced shipping.   :banghead:
- You'll also need a 10mm shaft, a 10mm to 6.35mm (1/4") shaft coupler, a 10mm shaft collar, and a M5-0.80 x 10mm setscrew for the shaft collar that transmits torque from the 3d printed handle to the shaft.

If clearance under the control panel is a concern, the LS-32 or Zippyy sticks are the shortest I've found.   ;D

Scott

haynor666:
I didn't know about ThunderStick GRS. It seems to be good option especially with it's proce. Sadly not available right now :/

As for rotary joystick we have Ultimarc rotary upgrade but again not available - https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-controls/joystick-accessories/ikari-12-way-rotary-upgrade-for-servostik-j-stik/

I'm suprise that we have some little options considering how many games in mame are using rotary joystick and how popular those games are Ikari Warriors, Midnight Resistance for example.

Thanks for info PL1 :)

PL1:

--- Quote from: haynor666 on May 04, 2022, 03:55:07 am ---As for rotary joystick we have Ultimarc rotary upgrade

--- End quote ---
:embarassed:  How did I forget that option?   :embarassed:   :banghead:

There are 3d printed handles to go with that upgrade -- LS-30 style or Data East round style.

--- Quote from: haynor666 on May 04, 2022, 03:55:07 am ---I'm suprise that we have some little options considering how many games in mame are using rotary joystick and how popular those games are Ikari Warriors, Midnight Resistance for example.

--- End quote ---
Last time I checked there are only about 25 mechanical rotary joystick games in MAME.
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Joysticks#Mechanical_Rotary_Joystick_Games_.28LS-30.2C_Happ_Mechanical_Rotary_Sticks.29

To get around not having a rotary joystick, people can map the buttons like this:
          1  2  3
          4  5  6
1 - Turn left
2 - Gun
3 - Turn right
4 - Grenade

With relatively few games that use them and an easy workaround by remapping buttons,  it's no surprise that there aren't many rotary joystick options available.

Scott

haynor666:
That's how I play as for today :)

My goal was to improve this situation a bit and to be closer to original design for those games. I guess I have to stick with trackball (some kind of replacement for spinner in Disc of Tron) and two joysticks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version