Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: KeyWiz USB Max - Hard to get to Rewrite EPPROM (cannot update default keys easy)  (Read 1064 times)

jimmay3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2022, 02:37:43 pm
    • vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=48917
I go to reburn the KeyWiz Max EEPROM with a few key swaps and it says fail. Same issue I had on initial install.  Found out KeyWiz Max don't like some PC's chipsets, especially some usb 3.0 ports.  So I plugged it into a newer laptop and all was resolved.  Running their proprietary config tool with Administrator rights, in the same laptop and same port, still no joy on updating it?  Tried every port in the house, same issue. I know the KeyWiz has limited burns, like 100k, but have only done it about 3 times in testing. Anybody have any more info or workarounds or seeing similar issues?

Runs flawless, once programed properly. 

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:49:54 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Try going into your Printers and Devices section and uninstall the KeyWiz MAX USB device (not the software, but the device itself.  Your profiles won't be affected), unplug and replug to make Windows reinstall it's drivers.  It should allow communication again after that.  Windows can get confused at times and deleting the device lets it load it's drivers in fresh and should fix your issue.   It is EXTREMELY unlikely that the on-board EEPROM is the issue with only a few re-writes.  If the software says "FAILED :(" in the status box at start-up, that is an indicator that the system is not ready to program the device so neither SRAM or EEPROM programming will work in that state.   Also, make sure the programming software is re-started so it can re-establish communications, if for any reason you need to unplug the unit.

If forcing the OS to refresh it's drivers doesn't allow programming, please contact me directly through the tech support email at the website.

jimmay3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2022, 02:37:43 pm
    • vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=48917
I tried in in multiple computers and no go, then plugged it back into the original game pc that it failed on when I first got it and it worked perfect, so???

Once progrmaed, it work flawless, just a little finicky to program...

Thanks again for the support...

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:49:54 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
I tried in in multiple computers and no go, then plugged it back into the original game pc that it failed on when I first got it and it worked perfect, so???

Once progrmaed, it work flawless, just a little finicky to program...

Thanks again for the support...

If it's Win10, on some systems the OS may have a little difficulty getting it's drivers right on the first go.  Once Windows gets it's head around it, programming should be solid from that point on.  The initial driver setup oddity with Win10 on those systems only affects the programming feature of the unit.  The actual main functionality aspects are always just plug and play. 

I actually ran into this myself on one of my systems, an old PC "upgraded" to Win10.  After uninstalling the device and re-plugging it to re-install the drivers, it's been fine since, which is why I suggested you try that.  But if it's working for you now on the target system, I wouldn't mess with it.

Also keep in mind that plugging any USB device into a new USB port on the system will trigger Windows to install the drivers for that device again for use on the new port.  So it's probably a good idea to keep using it on the same USB port once the drivers have stabilized and the unit is able to be programmed reliably.