Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME 242: Observation about refreshspeed  (Read 1153 times)

gildahl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:04:12 am
MAME 242: Observation about refreshspeed
« on: April 29, 2022, 10:02:11 am »
This is just an informational post, but feel free to comment if you have anything to add.

Some time ago I went through and tweaked the ini files of all my games to address issues like tearing/jerking and sound stuttering using various combinations of options in mame.  One such setting that worked well with certain games was

refreshspeed  1

Without this setting, a game like Asteroids exhibits jerking motion, but with this setting Asteroids locks in at 97% speed, but runs very smoothly with no jerking and clean sound.  At least it did so up through version .237.  Recently I updated to version .242 and this setting now produces bad audio popping/crackling--not just in Asteroids, but in most all games which use this setting.  After banging my head a while trying every combination of option to get it to work like .237, I finally noticed that the speed in .242 was averaging 98% rather than 97%, so on a hunch I removed the refreshspeed option and changed my settings to force refresh to 97% using:

speed          0.97

...and now Asteroids is back to running just as well as it did in .237.  This seems like a regression to me, but at least there's a workaround, though it requires manually computing the appropriate speed of each game individually.

Just wanted to share this in case anyone was planning to update, or did update and found that their sound was being affected.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 10:26:42 am by gildahl »