Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: House of the Dead Remake  (Read 1588 times)

2huwman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 03:33:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
House of the Dead Remake
« on: April 28, 2022, 12:17:20 pm »
This came out on PC today so I picked up the Steam version as I was pretty interested to try it. HotD is one of my favourite lightgun games so I was hoping they did it justice.

My initial impressions are somewhat mixed. I like the graphical upgrade in terms of how it looks, although the performance on a decent PC is a bit patchy at times. Ultrawide resolutions work well and look good. The cheesy dialogue is still there and I like the new voice acting. The music has been remixed and changed a bit but based on the original tunes.

It's more of a 'reskin' than a remake, and I would guess that the original game is running emulated in the background. It plays the same as my arcade machine. I haven't tried the horde mode yet which is supposed to be decent.

It's got mouse support on the PC obviously, and I tried with my Aimtrack. It works somewhat but loses calibration if you shoot outside the screen. It's in dire need of demul shooter support!

So overall a mixed bag. Hopefully it can be patched to improve the performance and lightgun support. But any new home hotd game is worth supporting, and it's reasonably cheap.

Has anyone else picked it up?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 12:18:56 pm by 2huwman »

MotownC

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:33:11 pm
  • Reliving my youth, one lap at a time
Re: House of the Dead Remake
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 02:34:33 pm »
There is a patch available on Sinden wiki that drastically improves light gun aiming. I recommend getting it.

2huwman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 03:33:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: House of the Dead Remake
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 04:49:46 am »
Thanks - will check that out.

There's also a mod to put the original soundtrack back in, which is nice to have.