Main > Consoles

Sega Dreamcast Reset-to-Menu function and automating it?

<< < (2/3) > >>

PL1:
 :dizzy:

Here's a simplified diagram of what I'm talking about.

The before shows what you currently have with the D-pad (joystick) and buttons wired directly to the MC Cthulhu inputs.

The after shows how you add the Arduino input and output wires.
- Connect the Arduino wires at the MC Cthulhu screw terminals.  One wire per Arduino input -- 4 total.  One wire per Arduino output -- 3 5 total.
- When the "D-pad right" switch is closed, ground is applied to both the Arduino and MC Cthulhu inputs and the Arduino restarts the for/next timer loop.
- When the for/next timer loop passes 5 minutes, the three Arduino outputs for the reset-to-menu combo are temporarily pulled low which triggers those three five MC Cthulhu inputs.

You can get 5v (VCC) for the Arduino from solder point "A" on one of the MC Cthulhu boards.

Scott
EDIT: You need 5 Arduino outputs for the combo, not 3.

ZTylerDurden717:
Legendary, thank you.  That answered my question.

So 2nd player basic wiring should look something like this?

PL1:

--- Quote from: ZTylerDurden717 on April 28, 2022, 08:52:33 pm ---So 2nd player basic wiring should look something like this?

--- End quote ---
Close.

There will be 4 separate Arduino input ports, 2 from P1 and 2 from P2.

I'm thinking these controls would be good choices:
- P1 D-pad right
- P1 A (or X?) button
- P2 D-pad right
- P2 A (or X?) button

Just noticed that there are 4 facebuttons, not 2, so you'll need 5 Arduino outputs for the combo.   :embarassed:

For the 5 Arduino outputs, those only need to go to P1 since you don't need to trigget the reset-to-menu combo (pressing the four facebuttons + start at the same time) on both P1 and P2, right?

- Yes, you'll end up wiring an Arduino input and output to the same MC Cthulhu button input.
- No, it won't be a problem.   ;D

Scott

ZTylerDurden717:

--- Quote from: PL1 on April 28, 2022, 09:41:48 pm ---Just noticed that there are 4 facebuttons, not 2, so you'll need 5 Arduino outputs for the combo.   :embarassed:

--- End quote ---

Your idea still makes sense regardless of button count.  ;)

--- Quote from: PL1 on April 28, 2022, 09:41:48 pm ---For the 5 Arduino outputs, those only need to go to P1 since you don't need to trigget the reset-to-menu combo (pressing the four facebuttons + start at the same time) on both P1 and P2, right?

--- End quote ---

Right!  Just 1P needs to trigger the button sequence for reset.  Less work for me.

--- Quote from: PL1 on April 28, 2022, 09:41:48 pm ---- Yes, you'll end up wiring an Arduino input and output to the same MC Cthulhu button input.
- No, it won't be a problem.   ;D

--- End quote ---

Ok! don't think it can get any clearer than this  :cheers:

I'll give it a go!  Thanks!!

PL1:
Glad to assist.   :cheers:

Which Arduino do you plan on using?  Pro Micro?  Micro?  Leonardo?
- These 32u4 ones with a USB connector are good choices IMHO.
- Pro Micros are inexpensive, but can be a bit tricky to reprogram sometimes.
- You will be reprogramming it many times while developing/troubleshooting the sketch.

You'll probably want to do your development work and testing on your computer desk before you install the Arduino in your cab.
- If you have a 400 point breadboard, an assortment of Dupont jumpers, 4-5 tactile buttons, 5 LEDs and 5 current-limiting resistors, they will come in very handy.   ;)

Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version