Main > Consoles

Sega Dreamcast Reset-to-Menu function and automating it?

<< < (3/3)

ZTylerDurden717:
Years ago I got the Arduino Uno (A000066) that I've been meaning to find some use for.  Should work?

I've got the arcade buttons, and a pack of these for resistors if these work? https://www.jaycar.com.au/300-ohm-0-5-watt-metal-film-resistors-pack-of-8/p/RR0559

I'll have to get the breadboard, jumpers, and LEDs.  They sell those by individual instead of having to get a 400 pack right?  ;D

And with these materials I should be able to test the scenario independent of the Dreamcast or in tandem with?  I've got a spare Dreamcast outside of the cab so I can use it for this.

PL1:

--- Quote from: ZTylerDurden717 on April 29, 2022, 09:39:44 am ---Years ago I got the Arduino Uno (A000066) that I've been meaning to find some use for.  Should work?

--- End quote ---
It will work fine for this application.   ;D

--- Quote from: ZTylerDurden717 on April 29, 2022, 09:39:44 am ---I've got the arcade buttons

--- End quote ---
You may want some 6mmx6mm tactile buttons for use on the breadboard.
- There are also 2-pin versions so you don't have to remember which legs are connected.

--- Quote from: ZTylerDurden717 on April 29, 2022, 09:39:44 am ---and a pack of these for resistors if these work? https://www.jaycar.com.au/300-ohm-0-5-watt-metal-film-resistors-pack-of-8/p/RR0559

--- End quote ---
Those should be good.

--- Quote from: ZTylerDurden717 on April 29, 2022, 09:39:44 am ---I'll have to get the breadboard, jumpers, and LEDs.  They sell those by individual instead of having to get a 400 pack right?  ;D

--- End quote ---
You might find better prices, but here are a few items to consider.

Breadboard (3 pack): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LSG5BJK/

LED assortment (25 pack): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JO2PVA/

Dupont jumpers: There are sets of M-M, F-F, and M-F.  Good idea to have all three kinds.  Your choice on separate wires or ribbon cable that easily separates into individual wires.

--- Quote from: ZTylerDurden717 on April 29, 2022, 09:39:44 am ---And with these materials I should be able to test the scenario independent of the Dreamcast or in tandem with?  I've got a spare Dreamcast outside of the cab so I can use it for this.

--- End quote ---
With these materials you can develop and test your mod independent of the Dreamcast and MC Cthulhu.   :cheers:

Scott

ZTylerDurden717:
Awesome.  I'll get the materials.

I'm gonna keep you looped in progress and troubleshooting.  Hope that's fine  :)

PL1:

--- Quote from: ZTylerDurden717 on April 30, 2022, 09:31:48 am ---I'm gonna keep you looped in progress and troubleshooting.  Hope that's fine  :)

--- End quote ---
Of course it is.   :cheers:

I'll probably chime in with (hopefully helpful) suggestions as you develop the sketch.   ;D

Here are some commands from this sketch that you may find useful for your sketch.

Define Arduino pins.

--- Code: ---#define DIR       8   // Arduino pin that connects to A4988 driver board DIR pin.
#define STEP      9   // Arduino pin that connects to A4988 driver board STEP pin.

--- End code ---

Define variables.
- "pd" is an integer in the range of -32,768 to 32,767 for your Uno board.
- "setdir" is a boolean logic value, either HIGH or LOW

--- Code: ---int pd = 500;         // Pulse Delay period in miliseconds with "delay(pd);" command below
boolean setdir = LOW; // Set Direction

--- End code ---

Set the pin defined as "DIR" to the value of the variable "setdir".
- setdir=0 ==> logic low   setdir=1 ==> logic high

--- Code: ---    digitalWrite(DIR,setdir);

--- End code ---

Set the pin defined as "STEP" to logic high, wait 500 microseconds, set the "STEP" pin to logic low, and wait for variable "pd" microseconds.

--- Code: ---    digitalWrite(STEP,HIGH);
    delay(500); // wait 500 microseconds before proceeding;
    digitalWrite(STEP,LOW);
    delay(pd); // wait "pd" microseconds before proceeding;

--- End code ---

Output the word "Step " and the value of variable "setdir" to the serial monitor window.

--- Code: ---   // Print step, direction (0 or 1) and carriage return
  Serial.print("Step ");
  Serial.println(setdir);

--- End code ---

Scott

ZTylerDurden717:
Still working on this..

Parts are here, just gotta get my hands dirty

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version