Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vector games like asteroids showing scanlines, how to remove?  (Read 1018 times)

DaveC1964

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 11:48:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I am using a weak PC to run MAME from 2007 in a cab.   It works well but all of my vector games have scanlines, Asteroids didn't have scanlines.  How do I get rid of them it looks awful.  Yes I tried shutting them off in the vector.ini and MAME.ini but they still appear.  I have tried everything I could think of but I can't get rid of them.  Even raster games don't show scanlines when turn them off but vector games still do.   I I searched online but could only find posts of people wanting to add them not get rid of them.  Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong such as miss a setting somewhere?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:45:17 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Vector games like asteroids showing scanlines, how to remove?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 06:22:37 am »
Even raster games don't show scanlines when turn them off but vector games still do.
If you can turn them off for raster games, you should be able to do the same for vector games.   :dunno

Yes I tried shutting them off in the vector.ini and MAME.ini but they still appear.
There are other .ini files like horizontal.ini that could be the issue.

Have you tried making a game-specific .ini? (asteroid.ini)
- The game-specific .ini is the last one that MAME reads and those settings override the ones from higher level .ini files like mame.ini, horizontal.ini, vector.ini, etc.
- You can make a game-specific .ini by renaming a copy of the mame.ini file and editing the contents as desired.
- You can delete any lines in asteroid.ini that are unchanged from mame.ini and are obviously not relevant. (paths, directories, input options, debugging, etc.)  Removing the obviously irrelevant parts should make it easier to find something that may have been overlooked.   ;D

Scott