Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Convert Egret JAMMA cab to MAME machine  (Read 945 times)

Eggers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 11:52:51 pm
  • Working on running MAME on my Egret II cab
Convert Egret JAMMA cab to MAME machine
« on: April 21, 2022, 08:32:03 pm »
Hi. First time posting here.

Recently acquired an EGRET II JAMMA 2-player cab and want to turn it into a MAME machine.

After poking around on the site: it seems that I'll need at minimum these 3 things:
- Ultimarc J-PAC (for video)
- Ultimarc I-PAC Ultimate I/O (for controls)
- Ultimarc ArcadeVGA card (I already have it)

The IPAC2 and A-PAC seem to do similar things as the I-PAC Ultimate I/O. Is the Ultimate I/O the best choice?

Any other supplies I should gather to make this happen?

Many thanks.

-Eggers
Absolute noob at this

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:17:45 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Convert Egret JAMMA cab to MAME machine
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 10:43:31 pm »
Strongly consider going through the design process outlined in the What type of build meets my needs? section of the FAQ before you buy stuff that doesn't correspond to your needs/requirements.

- Ultimarc J-PAC (for video)
- Ultimarc I-PAC Ultimate I/O (for controls)
Is there a reason you don't want to use the J-Pac and your existing JAMMA harness wiring for the controls?
Inputs supported directly through the JAMMA connector are:

Player 1 and 2 joysticks
    Player 1 and 2 buttons 1,2,3,4
    Coin 1, Coin 2
    Start1, Start2.

Inputs supported by the screwterminals are:

Player 1 and 2 buttons 4,5,6,7,8.

Running the controls through an I-Pac or Ult. I/O adds cost and a bunch of wiring work to get the same end result as the plug-and-play J-Pac you're already planning on buying for the video feature.
- Work smarter, not harder.   ;)

If you're bound and determined to use LED sticks and buttons (it adds a lot of expense and effort to the conversion process), consider using a dedicated LED controller like the PAC Drive, PacLED64, or LED-Wiz instead of the Ult. I/O.

- Ultimarc ArcadeVGA card (I already have it)
Since you already have the AVGA card, you should be able to use that.
- If the AVGA card doesn't work out for you, look into CRT Emudriver with a compatible video card and GroovyMAME.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/board,52.0.html

The IPAC2 and A-PAC seem to do similar things as the I-PAC Ultimate I/O. Is the Ultimate I/O the best choice?
A-Pac is a gamepad encoder for digital (microswitch) buttons/joysticks and analog (potentiometer) controls like Warlords paddle controls.

The I-Pac2 and Ult. I/O are hybrid keyboard/gamepad/mouse encoders for digital (microswitch) buttons/joysticks and optical (mouse) controls like a trackball or spinner.

For your cab conversion, the Ult. I/O is not a great choice since it involves higher cost and more wiring work.

Scott
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 10:48:59 pm by PL1 »

Eggers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 11:52:51 pm
  • Working on running MAME on my Egret II cab
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 01:09:45 am »
Thank you, PL1!

As a beginner, I really appreciate your explanations :notworthy:

Running the controls through an I-Pac or Ult. I/O adds cost and a bunch of wiring work to get the same end result as the plug-and-play J-Pac you're already planning on buying for the video feature.
I didn't know that the J-Pac could run both joysticks, buttons, coins... Makes total sense, though, since JAMMA itself runs all of those things natively. Thank you for breaking it down for me :angel: You've saved me quite a bit of $$$.

If you're bound and determined to use LED sticks and buttons (it adds a lot of expense and effort to the conversion process), consider using a dedicated LED controller like the PAC Drive, PacLED64, or LED-Wiz instead of the Ult. I/O.
I'd actually love to do this to add a personal touch to the cab but it'll be a little down the road after I get my feet wet with the basics. I'll definitely keep these in mind.

- If the AVGA card doesn't work out for you, look into CRT Emudriver with a compatible video card and GroovyMAME.
I haven't used the AVGA card, but from how I understand it, basically the AVGA card will allow me to use the 15khz CRT in the cabinet as if it were a PC monitor for the Windows PC. It will display all signals from the Windows PC from boot to shutdown.

And, without the AVGA card (or CRT Emudriver + compatible video card + GrooveMAME), I guess I'd need a second monitor to navigate through Windows and do everything up to the point where the actual game ROM is loaded.

Am I in the ballpark here? :angel:

-Eggers
Absolute noob at this

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:17:45 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 02:48:50 am »
Glad to assist.   :cheers:

I haven't used the AVGA card, but from how I understand it, basically the AVGA card will allow me to use the 15khz CRT in the cabinet as if it were a PC monitor for the Windows PC. It will display all signals from the Windows PC from boot to shutdown.

And, without the AVGA card (or CRT Emudriver + compatible video card + GrooveMAME), I guess I'd need a second monitor to navigate through Windows and do everything up to the point where the actual game ROM is loaded.

Am I in the ballpark here? :angel:
You're in the ballpark.   ;D

The J-Pac will filter out any 31kHz video signals that a video card might produce so your 15kHz monitor is protected.

AFAIK the only time you need a second monitor for a CRT Emudriver/GroovyMAME system is during the setup process.
- Once the video card output is properly configured, you can run everything on the CRT.

For more info, check out the GroovyMAME sub-forum.
- The people in there can help you find the right combination of video card (there are several types of AVGA cards), driver(s), operating system, switchres version, and emulator program(s) that will work with your specific monitor.

Scott