Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JVL VORTEX "touch screen unattached" error  (Read 724 times)

keavlad51

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2023, 08:48:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
JVL VORTEX "touch screen unattached" error
« on: December 27, 2023, 01:18:01 pm »
just picked up a used JVL vortex machine. worked fine a couple times, the started to freeze during games and now getting the "touch screen unattached!! Please turn off power and attache touch screen" message. Where do I start? Thanks!!

keavlad51

• Offline Offline
Re: JVL VORTEX "touch screen unattached" error
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 04:31:31 pm »
have checked all connections and nothing is loose.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 04:52:42 pm »
it's possible it just needs to be reloaded. sometimes a file will go bad causing a device to not be initialized/loaded on startup... then when it checks to make sure everything is ready to rock... something is still missing.

press and hold service button and then power on the machine. wait until the reload message displays on the screen and you can let go and do a reinstall. assuming the backup is still good, it should start working again. if it still says the same thing, it's possible something has gone wrong with the touch controller itself.

keavlad51

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 06:02:46 pm »
When i do that it says “factory reset initiated” , but still stops at tge touch screen unattached message

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 06:36:54 pm »
you'll have to open up the front of the monitor and view the backside of the screen. the touch controller is mounted behind.

does the LED light on the touch controller light up? The LED should be on, and dimly lit... this means the controller has power and is operating properly. If the LED is off, the controller is not receiving power. check all the connections.

When the LED is dimly lit, pressing on the overlay will cause the LED light to glow brighter. This means the controller and the overlay are operating at least enough that it should be detected.

if it powers on, then after a few seconds, starts showing blinking/flashing... that means there is a problem during the controllers power on self test.

if the LED flashes or blinks 3 times there is something wrong with the overlay panel (broken connection in the ribbon cable or the connection to the overlay glass itself.) basically the controller cant calibrate the normal state of the screen.

if it flashes anything else, (4 to 10 times) chances are pretty good the controller is pooched. they are almost all firmware and ram error issues or blank/invalid configuration information stored in memory.

keavlad51

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 07:17:42 pm »
Ok ill take it apart tomorrow. Do i have to disassemble everything or are their screws to replease the front panel? Thanks for all the help!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 09:40:14 pm »
sorry, i honestly don't know. the one of those machines we have on route, has never had an issue except for having to replace the CF card.

the controller in question may be visible from the inside of the coin/bill acceptance area. so you might not even have to disassemble it to see the LED status lamp.

otherwise, i expect like 2 screws somewhere near the top of the back door money acceptance area... after which of the removal of those screws, the monitor may tilt forward, but maybe not. i'm not sure when they started doing that. (the HD encores and the retro do for sure... but not sure how far back they started since the eclipse, which did not) so if not, probably 4-6 screws and the monitor and bezel will push/pry out.