Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Thoughts on my dashboard idea?  (Read 1056 times)

marioxb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 01:54:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Thoughts on my dashboard idea?
« on: April 16, 2022, 10:15:26 am »
Stealing Borrowing pintricks' idea, (I really like it!) of using a Logitech wheel, but making it look like a real arcade wheel. I don't even have a good PC or most of the consoles, or even an arcade cabinet (or know anything about woodworking), but I have ideas.

I'm determined to have a wheel that works on all systems from N64 thru current using a Brook Ras1ution 2 and various other converters. I've decided on a Logitech G25 (a PS3 wheel) as it's compatible with the Ras1ution, and works on PS2 USB wheel games as well. Also, I like the look of it, with only two buttons on the wheel. I'm a Nintendo guy at heart, so all my buttons are named as they are on Nintendo Switch (with the exception of L3 and R3). This is how I plan on having everything wired up (replacing the triggers on the wheel with face buttons, as well as drilling and mounting a "horn" button, which on most games will be a Nitro, item or Weapons Van button for Spy Hunter, similar to how the Triforce arcade games are. Of course all of the buttons and pedals would be remappable via the games and/ or the converters. My hypothetical layout is based on pintricks' design (again, sorry) as well as a combination of F-Zero AX, Cruis'n USA and Mario Kart Arcade GP (as I said I'm a Nintendo guy!). Not sure where I would put the trackball/ mouse, but I suppose I would need one for PC games.

Not sure how the clutch pedal is mapped, and I don't care that much, since I can't even drive a manual in real life, but I still want it to be there. Also not sure how the shifter is mapped, but I'm thinking right analog? I'd like it close to the wheel so I can use it for moving up and down in F-Zero (remapped to up and down on the left analog of course). The view buttons are based on how they are mapped in F-Zero AX on Nintendont. (Digital control pad, which would also be used for menu navigation). L3 would be in the middle, for games that only use one view button. R3 would be used for things like Music in Midway games, Reset Car in NFS Underground, or headlights in Gran Turismo. The only buttons not mapped on the CP (but they would be hidden somewhere else) would be the home/guide, select/options and service, test and coin buttons for arcade games.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 10:44:32 am by marioxb »