Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I just bought 2 JVL systems, updates on 3 machines 4/22  (Read 7850 times)

game_nerd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2023, 03:11:14 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I just bought 2 JVL systems, updates on 3 machines 4/22
« on: April 12, 2022, 03:08:24 pm »
Can't complain about the condition since the price was great. I knew these would be a project, and I'm perfectly ok with that. Haven't had a chance to plug them in yet. Literally just dropped them off at home and ran back to work.
I have a working 2011 megatouch that I rebuilt myself, so I'm somewhat familiar with the touchscreen and components, however I never thought I'd find any JVL's for a reasonable price so never bothered looking into them.

The larger of the two, the encore seems to have not been monkeyed with. All the others I saw had the front screen removed and hanging by the cable that keeps it from falling off like the megatouches have.

This one is still solidly attached and the little box with what I'm assuming has the motherboard and all the usb's plugged into it is still intact.

The smaller vortex seems to be ok, but I don't see hard drives in either, so I don't know if there's supposed to be more to the backside of these.. (I'm assuming there is supposed to be more in them)

Does anyone have pictures of what mine should look like from the rear? also things I should look out for if I encounter more?

I'm assuming parts are not readily available for these, so maybe I should buy the broken ones I found as spares/donor machines.

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated
(sorry about formatting, had to copy/paste it here, a pain to edit with phone)

*edit* Since I have this topic up, can anyone tell me if the JVL classics and eclipse are worth getting? I know they're older than the two posted above, but don't know much more than that about them.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 12:45:39 pm by game_nerd »

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:04:32 am
Re: I just bought 2 JVL systems, can anyone share their thoughts on them?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 08:15:02 pm »
The vortex uses cf cards. Encore SD card. Bad motherboards are common with both. I don't have pics. You were kinda all over the place in your post so if there's something more specific you need, let me know.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 09:31:27 pm »
Sorry I'll try to be more clear.
I just wanted as much info in my post as possible.

1. Do these two units look complete, or are they missing parts?
2. Is the memory card between the screen and motherboards on these things?
3. What's the USB drive for on the larger machine?
4. Is it worth buying more of these for parts?
What is the going rate for non working and working used ones?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 09:53:58 pm by game_nerd »

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 09:59:13 am »
1. Depends what you mean by complete. They're missing the coin bucket and dollar stacker. For the hardware that's required to start the machines, can't tell from the pictures you posted

2. Depends upon the motherboard. Vortex can be on top or below of the motherboard. Encore/echo is a sd card slot on the side

3. You're probably looking at the wifi dongle

4. Depends upon price of the parts

(No number) varies widely. Check eBay and your local listings
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 10:02:07 am by Megatouchmike »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 12:06:01 pm »
bill validator is missing it's bill stacking box. both are missing their coin buckets.

power supply in the vortex is probably cooked... most are. its replaceable for about 100 bucks with a brand new one.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 02:48:15 pm »
thank you both for the responses, they're appreciated.
lilshawn, I can replace the coin buckets and bill stackers, those are no problem.
I read that these motherboards are prone to failure like the megatouch ions, is that the case?
are these boards supplied only by JVL or is there an alternative out there, sort of like the megatouch machines where you can swap asus or intel boards for the original crappy ecs?

i see power supplies are available on ebay, so thanks for the heads up.

I haven't got a chance to mess with these yet, gonna try to tackle them tonight.

sorry for all the questions, do these use a security key or some type of physical device like the megatouch machines? or is it software based?

Do you know anything about the JVL retro? are those worth picking up? THe guy I got these from has one, I know it's got a bad mobo in it. Think it's worth picking up?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 08:57:22 pm »
nope, it's a custom dealybop. replacements are limited to used stock, I don't believe any new ones exist.

i'll post a replacement power supply from a reputable distributor. i'd avoid ebay if possible.

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/PT-65B?qs=pqZ7J9Gt%2FmrUvp2%252BT2RNJA%3D%3D

security key is on the IO board. it doesn't have a handle on them like the megatouch, it's just the bare button.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 11:07:49 pm »
nope, it's a custom dealybop. replacements are limited to used stock, I don't believe any new ones exist.

i'll post a replacement power supply from a reputable distributor. i'd avoid ebay if possible.

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/PT-65B?qs=pqZ7J9Gt%2FmrUvp2%252BT2RNJA%3D%3D

security key is on the IO board. it doesn't have a handle on them like the megatouch, it's just the bare button.

Ah, well that makes sense. The io board is between the monitor and Mobo.. which is why all the other one the guy had wereb opened up and the monitor hanging off, probably to get the io board out and security key.
 He had 2 more and said I could have them for $100 apiece.. they had decent looking screens and the Mobo chassis inside. The 2 encores look complete, I can see the key in the pic I took off them. I think the other vortex had the keys missing.
Here's one of the other encores.. As an example.
I don't know why they were opened up when the mobo, io and key look intact.
Is there something else in there that's typically salvaged?

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 11:35:37 pm »
well I'll be dipped in ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.. 1 for 2 ain't bad eh?
vortex fired right up, touchscreen seems to work flawlessly. Encore kinda did as well, just have a little display problem. Gonna hook it up to another monitor and see how that goes.
all in all, pretty good score :)
Now i definitely need to go buy those other 2 encores and see if I can cobble together one complete one.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 10:25:39 am by game_nerd »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:05:37 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 12:32:58 pm »
Encore uses LVDS, meaning the monitor lcd controller is onboard the Motherboard. That is going to be hard to fix/replace. Looking at the screen, it doesn't look to be inverter related, so i would put money on it, that its motherboard related. Good luck.

If you are lucky, and can find an exact match LCD panel for a reasonable price, you could take that gamble. I was lucky once and had to replace a encore lcd panel and found one brand new on ebay for $75 but i doubt you find one , let alone that cheap.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 12:35:45 pm by mahkeymike »

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 04:47:51 pm »
Ok that's good to know about the motherboard and controller, I'll have to grab the last encore he has and hope it's got a good motherboard. No security key in that one though. I should have grabbed it while I was there today.

I did get a different encore with a key in it, it works kinda, but has this error message. Otherwise the screen looks good, the back door is missing but it has the coin bucket and bill stacker.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 05:50:12 pm »
Most likely that Encore just needs a reinstall on the sdcard. I would test the motherboard on that working Encore just to verify you get that same screen. Im curious so post back.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2022, 11:00:51 am »
gonna try to do that tonight if i get time.
Got wicked sick over the weekend and did not feel like hanging out in the garage to mess with them.
will update with what I find out.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
Re: I just bought 2 JVL systems, updates on 3 machines 4/22
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 12:56:30 pm »
ok so I got both encores taken apart. They both work, kinda. I swapped the screens on the machines, good news is the video output works fine on both machines, motherboards seem to be good. that one screen is definitely broken, and it does the same thing on both machines. (pink screen). The other screen works fine on both.
So the issues I have with both of them is this: one has a missing security key, and possibly a corrupted sd install,  as it goes through the bootup process then just sits on a black screen on both the internal and external monitors I hooked up.

the 2nd machine has a bad/corrupted sd card, it hangs on a screen saying system fault on stage: modules. This one has a security key on the IO board that says itouch HD2

I need to find a replacement touchscreen for machine #1, a security key and a SD image.
machine #2 needs the appropriate image on a sd card for the HD2 security key
here's a few pics.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2022, 01:29:53 pm »
honestly it might just be a bad LVDS driver board on the echo. the caps and regulators die most of the time.

you might be able to pick up a universal board off ebay or amazon or something and replace it. it should have a standard 30 pin connection on the panel. just search up "12v LVDS 30 pin" and that should get you something that will work. throw the panel # into panelook.com and it will tell you it's native resolution and signal requirements. just be sure the LVDS you use supports the protocol. (it'll be like 1280x800 or something with a 8 bit 2 channel LVDS protocol or the like so the jumpers would be set to 1280x800-8-2)

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2022, 02:22:06 pm »
honestly it might just be a bad LVDS driver board on the echo. the caps and regulators die most of the time.

you might be able to pick up a universal board off ebay or amazon or something and replace it. it should have a standard 30 pin connection on the panel. just search up "12v LVDS 30 pin" and that should get you something that will work. throw the panel # into panelook.com and it will tell you it's native resolution and signal requirements. just be sure the LVDS you use supports the protocol. (it'll be like 1280x800 or something with a 8 bit 2 channel LVDS protocol or the like so the jumpers would be set to 1280x800-8-2)

you mean in the monitor itself, right, not on the motherboard side?
I took that monitor apart, the only 30 pin board runs along the top edge of the monitor, it's got all the screen ribbon cables attached to it, one every 2 inches or so. It doesn't look to be easily replaceable.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2022, 06:39:34 pm »
so I cleaned up the one with the hd2 security key, pulled off heat sinks, cleaned everything, new thermal paste, etc. and it has a bad sd card/image.
I took the sd card out of the 2nd machine, (4TB) and put it in the first one, it boots like 99% of the way, checks drivers, etc.
it goes to start game system: load dc for about 5 seconds, then it flashes a quick message that says start game system: load browser for about half a second, then the screen goes blank.
If I let it sit there for 2 or 3 minutes, it reboots and does it all over again.

Thoughts?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 08:14:44 pm »
Sounds like a bad cabinet fan, or the date is wrong in the bios. Those two issues go to a blank screen with no onscreen error.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2022, 09:01:05 pm »
ok thanks for the info, there is no chassis fan on either of these units. There's the two that sit in the bracket above the cpu, but there are no others.
Is there a header someplace inside the unit for another fan?

I hadn't thought about the bios, I'll dig up a keyboard and try to get into it to set the time, maybe I can get this one working tonight after all.

Are you or lilshawn the guy on ebay that sells keys and imaged SD cards for these? There's a seller on ebay that seems pretty knowledgeable, on all the forums I've looked at looking for info you two seem to be the only two that specialize in these things.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2022, 09:12:23 pm »
I don't sell on ebay so its not me. AFIAK lilshawn doesnt either.
As far as the cabinet fan, its on the right side behind a black plastic housing. Its kind of a pita to get to, but if its missing, or not working, you will never get past that black screen. Try the bios date first and make sure its saving. You probably need a new cmos battery.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2022, 09:27:35 pm »
Will check both, thanks. I think I have some 2032 batteries laying around someplace

Spank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 07:49:40 pm
  • I like to help out.
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2022, 07:28:27 am »
I have an iso of the latest HD3 install disc. I also have the dvd for either HD1 or HD2. I forget what one, I have it at work.
The one without the key will work with HD1 software. For HD2 and HD3 you need the correct key. I also have a HD2 California key. Not sure what is different from a standard US key.

I also have isos for iTouch 8,10,11 and I think I may have some iTouch 10 keys left.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2022, 08:21:54 am »
Is there a huge difference between I touch 8 and 11?
That vortex I have works perfectly, it's got 8 on it right now.

Speaking of the vortex, I'd like to completely disassemble and clean it, but I can't figure out how to get the bezels and monitor out.
Anyone got any suggestions?

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2022, 03:34:59 pm »
Sounds like a bad cabinet fan, or the date is wrong in the bios. Those two issues go to a blank screen with no onscreen error.

Bios was the issue, got into it and it was set to Jan 1 2007
corrected the date and time and it booted right up :)
thanks for your help on that one

However there is an operator pin on it from whoever owned it previously. Is there a way to bypass or brute force it, or do I need to reimage the SD card or get another one with an HD2 image on it?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2022, 04:25:56 pm »
Im pretty sure i have a HD2 image. Do you have somewhere i can upload it to?

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2022, 08:33:04 pm »
yeah my google drive has space, I'll pm you a link

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2022, 10:18:27 pm »

Hate to rain on the parade

Operator setup pin isn't stored on the drive/SD

It's in the ioboard

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2022, 10:25:36 pm »

Hate to rain on the parade

Operator setup pin isn't stored on the drive/SD

It's in the ioboard
Really? I would just pull the cmos battery on the ioboard then....

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2022, 12:18:40 pm »
the only place i sell is direct to other people here on the forum. i'd rather help out someone genuinely in need.

i haven't sold anything on ebay for years. i barely even buy on there since i can get everything TOMORROW off the amazonian site instead of waiting 4 months.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2022, 09:20:56 pm »
Im pretty sure i have a HD2 image. Do you have somewhere i can upload it to?
Got your image, thank you.
Do I just need to just copy it to an SD, or does it need to be mounted to the sd card using an imaging tool. If so, which one?

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2022, 11:01:18 pm »

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2022, 09:58:06 am »
thank you sir, gonna work on it tonight and try to get that 2nd encore working.

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2022, 09:51:48 am »
So small update since it's been a couple weeks (dad life) one encore is completely functional, zero issues with it. That one is running HD2 and has the HD2 security key.
took the cpu box apart on both and replaced thermal paste, cleaned all the dust, replaced fans, etc.

The 2nd one, is 3/4 of the way fixed.. it's running an HD3 image with no security key, it gives a nag about no key, but if you hit the screen it continues booting.
Funny thing is, even though the display on the touchscreen is trashed, the touch part still works. I had the original screen and a computer monitor plugged in simultaneously, and the touch inputs on the messed up screen will work and load/play games.. just have to guesstimate where you're touching on the screen. Kinda works though for testing purposes.

Does anyone think this thing is repairable? has anyone taken these screens apart? I did and I didn't see any driver boards like the ones I see on google. The only board with a 30 pin connector was connected to the ribbon cables that run along the top edge of the monitor. I'd like to repair it if possible since the touch portion works just fine.. not sure if repair is an option for it though.

the older vortex I bought works just fine, zero issues with it, running Itouch 8.
I'm gonna take that one apart and clean it out as well, but don't see any obvious way to get the bezels and screen out of that thing.
I'd like to completely disassemble, sand and repaint it if possible.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 10:01:40 am by game_nerd »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2022, 12:19:10 pm »
that MIGHT be the LCD panel itself...since the very top few millimeters looks... okay? before the lines start. at least it looks like a few rows of pixels are good then it gets messed up. if you wiggle the LVDS cable and/or connection and it doesn't change (ruling out a bad cable), i'd suspect the lcd panel driver board attached to the panel is gone. usually a bad LVDS board wont do anything like this. the lcd panel driver board is not replaceable (at least not without a million dollars worth of equipment... and requires a complete panel replacement.

since you have a pair of machines, probably the easiest thing to do would be to swap the lcd panel itself from one to the other (which you may have done already.)

if it is indeed the lcd panel, then just keep an eye out for (or purchase) a same sized LCD monitor... and disassemble it to swap it out with. the 30 pin LVDS connection is pretty universal on most monitors after about 19" so it should just plug right in.

you can verify it's exact size and requirements size by googling the panel part number and you should get a result somewhere in there from "panelook"  kinda like so: https://www.panelook.com/LTM190EX-L01_Samsung_19.0_LCM_overview_8082.html

it'll have all the info you need to try and find another compatible panel. as long as it has the same resolution and uses the same data stream signal type, it'll work. (and most of them of the same size are all the same)

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2022, 03:15:52 pm »
ah, this is where having another pair of eyes to look at things helps so much.
I didn't even notice the top of the screen, but you're right, it looks perfectly fine for the first few lines of pixels, same color as the top of the screen on the lcd monitor next to it.

When I took the monitor off and completely took it apart, I wiggled around cables and disconnected what I could, thinking that may be the issue as well, connected it back up in pieces and no change. so I just put it all back together for the time being so I don't lose any screws or anything in case it was fixable.

I have swapped the working touchscreen from one machine to the other, and it works perfectly fine, also swapped the broken one to both machines, same issue with that broken one on both encores.. so it's definitely something inside the monitor itself... most likely the panel like you suspect.
I'll take it apart again and find the model # for the panel and see what I can find, maybe a suitable replacement can be had without costing a fortune.

Thanks for all your help and others in this thread, thank you too, it's all much appreciated
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 03:45:25 pm by game_nerd »

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2022, 10:46:26 pm »
As ive said, best to replace the entire panel. I was lucky to find them for $75 many years ago, but i assume they are hard to come by anymore. Brings back memories of a customer being pissed because he had bad ccfl's that i had to replace just to find out the panel was bad, and he was mad that i had to charge an additional $75 ( i waived the labor fee) And that is why i don't work on these machines anymore, lol. :soapbox:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 10:48:43 pm by mahkeymike »

game_nerd

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2022, 01:19:04 pm »
Well small update.
I got another busted up encore but the screen looked ok.
Took that screen from the "new" broken one and put it on my 2nd encore with the weird screen, it works perfectly now. So 2 working encores and 1 vortex. So really happy with that, but there operator pins remain, even after removing the io board battery on both. Is anyone aware of a method to clear that? I'd have thought removing both batteries would clear it, but no dice. I wonder if it's stored in the software somewhere on the sd card.

I have 2 other vortexes that turn on and the display works, but I get an error like there's no card/os, probably need to reinstall itouch on those.
They have I touch 8 and 11 keys in them.

I don't suppose anyone has I touch disc ISO's I could bum/buy? I ordered some cf cards, too bad they're not easy to clone 1:1 like hdd's are.

Overall everything's working well, hopefully these things last for awhile

Spank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 07:49:40 pm
  • I like to help out.
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2022, 08:33:04 am »
I have itouch 8 and 11 iso's if you want.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2022, 10:37:29 am »
Is anyone aware of a method to clear that? I'd have thought removing both batteries would clear it, but no dice. I wonder if it's stored in the software somewhere on the sd card.

I thought you reimaged it with my HD2 image? That would have wiped the SD card. I wish i could give you more info, but ive had at least 10 encores and fixed probably another 10 and never had one that required an operator pin.

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2022, 07:59:02 pm »
Operator pin is stored in ioboard eeprom. Could dump the chip from one that doesn't have a pin and write it to the other