Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Where to buy Betson-Kortek KT-2914 OSD control board?  (Read 1849 times)

jimj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 10:55:09 pm
Where to buy Betson-Kortek KT-2914 OSD control board?
« on: April 06, 2022, 11:15:37 pm »
Anyone know where you can buy just the OSD control board for a Betson-Kortek KT-2914 monitor?  My "MENU SELECT" button (SW402) only works about 10% of the time.  This makes the frustrating process of tweaking its many OSD group settings even more challenging.  I'm challenged enough without having to fight this flaky button... :)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Where to buy Betson-Kortek KT-2914 OSD control board?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 11:37:31 pm »

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 06:27:31 pm »
any reason you aren't spending the.... 16 cents... to replace said switch??

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/CUI-Devices/TS02-66-140-BK-260-LCR-D?qs=A6eO%252BMLsxmTTer2%252B3AAK%2Fg%3D%3D
Why yes, I have two very good reasons I haven't bought a replacement switch:
1.  I thought finding the replacement switch would be a near impossible task that would take months to accomplish.  Yet, with barely any info you were apparently able to find the switch in minutes (or was it seconds)!  I am in awe of your switch finding capabilities, thank you for the link.
2.  I reveal reason two at great personal peril, for it a scandalous reason indeed.  I hope this doesn't get me banned from BYOAC, but....... I don't know how to solder.   :-[  I know, I know, soldering isn't that hard, any self-respecting nerd that plays with electronics needs to know how how to solder, etc.  However, somehow I've made it this far in life with only crimp-on connectors.  I figured if I could simply buy the replacement board that'd be quicker (and maybe cheaper) than researching which soldering iron to buy, buying said iron, spending a day playing with a soldering iron so I'd feel somewhat confident I won't make my board worse.  If it isn't possible to buy just the board then maybe this will finally be the thing that pushes me over the edge to learn how to solder.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 07:11:11 pm »
you could take the whole board + new switch to a local sparky or any electronics repair place and have them do it. They might have a minimum charge tho.

Soldering is fun though, you should totally jump in. Grab some cheap gear and a few sacrificial projects and have at it :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 07:14:11 pm by buttersoft »

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 09:35:21 pm »
Thanks buttersoft, I will probably give the soldering a try (unless some board show up soon)

lilshawn, looking at the web page of the switch you recommended (TS02-66-140-BK-260-LCR-D) I have a couple questions.

The "140" in this part # indicators an actuator height of 14 mm.  My entire switch is about 5 mm tall.  Is the actuator height is the height of the entire switch?  In this I'll actually want part TS02-66-50-BK-260-LCR-D instead.  Or maybe the actuator is just the button part that moves, in which case the shortest 4.3 mm actuator (TS02-66-43-BK-260-LCR-D) would probably be a better match

These switches all have four posts, but looking at my OSD control board each switch only has two solder blobs on the back side of the board.  Do I just break off two of the posts and only use two of the switch posts?  Or do I need a different switch type that only has two posts?

Below are two pics of why my OSD control board looks like.  On the back pic I put a red square around SW401, you can see there are only two solder blobs.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 10:16:50 pm »
sorry for the lateness of my reply.

i did not know this was a 2 pin variety of switch. typically these boards use a 4 pin variety. but either way....

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Gravitech/BUTT-2?qs=Vxac6xGyzPn8jCxopasNEg%3D%3D

https://www.amazon.ca/DAOKI-100Pcs-6x6x5mm-Momentary-Tactile/dp/B07X8T9D2Q

https://www.amazon.ca/Momentary-Tactile-Breadboard-Friendly-QTEATAK/dp/B07WF76VHT/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B07WF76VHT&psc=1

this is a more appropriate part. it is the 2 pin variety. the button portion itself is a standard size, commonly the only differences is the length of the actuator stem. those ones are what i would call a "regular" size and not a "long" one.

if you would like to search for this part on your own local site or shop, this type of switch is most commonly called a "Tactile switch" this one being a "2-pin" opposed to a 4-pin, which I linked before. Sorry, i did not know that particular board was using a 2-pin variety as most of the UI control boards use the 4-pin type.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 10:20:03 pm by lilshawn »

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 10:38:02 pm »
Thanks lilshawn for the additional details, that button looks like a drop in replacement (once I learn how to solder :)).  I did notice one more thing about my problem that concerns me.  When I press my my "MENU SELECT" button (SW402) it behaves something like this:
10% of the time it does the correct action
60% of the time it does nothing
30% of the time it does the "UP" button (SW403) action

That last "UP" button action has me worried.  Any wild guesses how/why that would happen?  All of the other buttons (including UP) work correctly 100% of the time.  I'm surprised that my MENU SELECT button would frequently send another button's command.  Do you still think replacing my MENU SELECT button will fix this?  Or I have gone into the weird zone where anything is possible?  :)

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 02:47:25 pm »
the way these work is by having 2 wires going to the computer on the main board. when you press the button on the UI panel, it applies a resistor across the 2 wires. (this is what all the resistors on the ui panel are) all the buttons have a different resistor value. the computer measures the resistance on the line and if it's between such and such a value it's this button that was pressed... but if it's between this and that, its a different button....and so on.

typically when these button fail you get a resistance across them when you press it down (usually corrosion, oxidation, or moisture/dirt infiltration)

this additional resistance throws off the reading the computer gets when you press the button, making it think you pressed a different button. (because the value now falls into one of the other buttons resistor value.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 02:49:48 pm by lilshawn »

jimj

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 09:54:00 pm »
the way these work...
Very interesting, it all makes sense now, thanks for sharing.  Sounds like a new button is indeed the cure for this.