Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Gametime Force I/O Board  (Read 2072 times)

MasterOfNone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2022, 12:19:24 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Megatouch Gametime Force I/O Board
« on: April 03, 2022, 06:49:47 pm »
Hope your weekend was a good one!  Mine went just a little tiny bit wrong today...
As mentioned in my Gametime iso topic post, I seem to have bricked my Gametime Force I/O board by running a mystery HDD out of another GT machine, which strangely reported "I/O board reprogrammed" during boot.  So, now I'm looking for a replacement and also hoping to dump the I/O firmware chip to use to restore the original board.  Or, if someone here has already ever done such a thing, I'd be glad to trade or pay for the service. I've heard that Gametime Force might have used the same I/O board as a commercial Force machine, and I do have spares of those already to try, but if someone can confirm if that's true before I try it, that would be great.  Thanks all! :)

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:04:32 am
Re: Megatouch Gametime Force I/O Board
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 09:53:30 pm »
Oh just replied to your other thread. I have a Force GT in my shop right now. Can dump the firmware if you need it. T-style I/o?

MasterOfNone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 04:09:44 pm »
Yes! T-style... Kicking myself for trying that drive, but who'd-uh guess it would do such a thing coming out of an identical GT manufactured 16 months earlier? Thanks!

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 08:15:22 pm »
Ok - you have a way of flashing?

MasterOfNone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 08:48:59 pm »
I've got some chipquik and a programmer buried here somewhere I've been meaning to learn how to use (along with my Atari CAT Box), but until the geneticists are willing to clone me or eliminate the need to waste time sleeping, I might have to pay a computer repair shop to do it for me again. (They flashed some BIOS chips for me in the past, kinda pricy though.)
I'm still curious about the purpose of the I/O reprogramming though. Any idea under what circumstance that would be a good thing?

Megatouchmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 09:27:40 pm »
It's always gotten me into trouble. I had a firefly flash my Io once too. Maybe it was a way for merit to only have to produce one kind of ioboard and just have the software do the rest

MasterOfNone

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 12:33:09 am »
Aw man, Firefly killed two I/O's for me, the first because I didn't know any better, and the second because I didn't label the drive and used it again by accident! Damn I'm dumb sometimes. I can understand with Firefly, since the I/O functions are built into the motherboard (not a separate I/O), and no one typically should be trying to run Firefly on anything other than a Firefly mobo, which would be automatically fixed if ever the firmware on it got corrupted.  But, a Gametime image doing it to another identical Gametime is a real head-scratcher.  Ah well, I'll suffer with the guilt until I find a way to fix it. Maybe I can just put a regular Force I/O board in with the appropriate slightly newer drive. Didn't try that yet. Or, if the GT I/O is special, I'll either need the chip dump or maybe another board from someone who took it out to convert to a later commercial edition...