Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Learned how to use a fretsaw: The Hulk! Incredible!  (Read 1579 times)

yamatetsu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:24:20 pm
  • Just because.
Learned how to use a fretsaw: The Hulk! Incredible!
« on: March 31, 2022, 06:00:22 pm »
3 months-ish ago I did a face of a gorilla on a piece of wood. This I wanted to cut out so that I ended up with a gorilla head.
Since I have no coping saw and I didn't want to use a jigsaw, that meant I had to learn how to use a fretsaw.

Imagine the pieces of tape being removed, revealing a nice shade of red. Looks incredible.
Sawing the outline went without a hitch, I didn't even break a sawblade.

Since then I have done 4 other projects that took a bit more skill.

Enter a vid on youbtube of a guy turning a comic book cover of the Hulk into a piece of art by using a coping saw and several
types of wood of different colors. Absolutely amazing.

I wanted to do something like that using the fretsaw. Found a pic of the Hulk

and went "No way you can do that, it's much too intricate!"

I tried it anyway. The physical size limit that you can do with a fretsaw is a bit under A4 size, so I printed the pic at that size, cut a piece of 4mm plywood
to size. This I covered with painter's tape, spray-glued it and put the pic on.

I sawed out the outline, cut another piece of wood to size, painted the top side black and glued the outline piece of ply on.

Then I began sawing out a lot of small parts. Very tricky to do since that ply is very brittle if cut to a width of say 3-4 mm.
I broke a few pieces, sometimes even when sanding the edges really lightly.

After having sawn out all the parts, I used the off-cuts as spacers and glued the Hulk together.

The pics don't do it justice, the contrast between the ply and the black paint is much greater IRL. It's also a lot more "3D" IRL.
This took me about 15 to 20 hours.

The original is on the right, the left one obviously is an internet copy.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 01:20:02 am by yamatetsu »

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Learned how to use a fretsaw: The Hulk! Incredible!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 07:35:23 pm »
ok.
this is cool.