Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Outrun Mode tracks in reverse in PSP/PS2 C2C?  (Read 2467 times)

Beautiful

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2022, 06:57:05 am
  • Player of the Beautiful Game
Outrun Mode tracks in reverse in PSP/PS2 C2C?
« on: March 31, 2022, 04:48:33 pm »
I know you can unlock them in TT modes but is there any way to play the actual main game tracks in Outrun Mode in reverse ie with the traffic with the PSP version of the game?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 03:08:09 pm by Beautiful »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Outrun Mode tracks in reverse in C2C?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 06:15:55 pm »
I know you can unlock them in TT modes but is there any way to play the actual main game tracks in Outrun Mode in reverse ie with the traffic?

I can't remember if it's in the hacking outrun 2006 thread, or the outrun fxt 2.5 released thread, but Howard came up with a track editor that lets you reverse the stages, and also alter how the stages connect together, and other ways to mix and match. Both those threads are on the first page.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 06:17:33 pm by buttersoft »

Beautiful

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 04:25:07 am »
I noticed that but didn't see any references to playing reversed tracks. You can in TT mode but am wondering how to do so in Outrun Mode.

Also, I play the PSP version.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 05:25:01 am »
I don't think there's any way to play the reverse tracks in Outrun mode (Off the top of my head). As well as Time Attack, some of the missions let you play on the tracks in reverse though against CPU opponents.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 06:03:20 am »
Getting to add in the reverse versions of stages, the dusk and sunset Palm Beach and Sunny Beach stages and mixing up the regular OR2 and SP stages together makes it almost feel like a new game. Incredible!
???

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 12:46:11 pm »
Getting to add in the reverse versions of stages, the dusk and sunset Palm Beach and Sunny Beach stages and mixing up the regular OR2 and SP stages together makes it almost feel like a new game. Incredible!
???

With Seņor Howard's course editor that is.

In the 'vanilla' version of Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast on PC and consoles you can't race any of the courses in reverse in the standard Outrun arcade mode.

Beautiful

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 03:07:00 pm »
Yes, exactly. I should have been more clear - I meant using the PSP version. PS2 version is also an option if that helps?

Can we apply whatever the course editor is doing to these ports as they must be running very similar code/access the data in similar ways?

Not everyone is PC :/

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 02:08:03 am »
Yes, exactly. I should have been more clear - I meant using the PSP version. PS2 version is also an option if that helps?

Can we apply whatever the course editor is doing to these ports as they must be running very similar code/access the data in similar ways?

Not everyone is PC :/

I see. No, no one is working on this that i'm aware of.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 04:37:57 am »

I don't think modding a game on PC is comparable to hacking a console game. Consoles had their own special development kits and proprietary operating systems and in the case of older stuff, like the PS2, were running the game entirely off the disc. It's not like a modern PC where all the assets for the game are stored in the hard drive for people to have a poke around in. If someone was able to hack the PS2 version of Outrun 2006, they'd need to create a new physical disc to put the modified ISO on and that wouldn't play on a standard console, you'd need a jailbroken system.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Outrun Mode tracks in reverse in PSP/PS2 C2C?
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 05:50:53 pm »
The main obstacles with console game modding is the storage medium, that MrThunderwing has already covered and the hacking tools available.   Nearly all my mods begin with memory hacking.   I poke around in the running game to determine how files are read, where textures are used, ect.   Sometimes the hack requires direct memory manipulation, and sometimes it's as simple as editing some files but either way I need to be able to readd and edit working memory to figure it out.   The course files are surprisingly simple and if we could get those files to an unmolested, uncompressed format like on the pc I'm fairly confident we could make custom ones, but as is I'm unsure how to do that and really don't have any motivation to try.   If anything, I'd be more interested in modding the real arcade version running in technoparrot.   

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 07:45:02 pm »
If anything, I'd be more interested in modding the real arcade version running in technoparrot.

Not that I'm against other mods, but for me having mods or an editor for the Arcade Version would be amazing! I'd certainly back a patreon, and i hope others would as well :)

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 01:59:44 am »
The main obstacles with console game modding is the storage medium, that MrThunderwing has already covered and the hacking tools available.   Nearly all my mods begin with memory hacking.   I poke around in the running game to determine how files are read, where textures are used, ect.   Sometimes the hack requires direct memory manipulation, and sometimes it's as simple as editing some files but either way I need to be able to readd and edit working memory to figure it out.   The course files are surprisingly simple and if we could get those files to an unmolested, uncompressed format like on the pc I'm fairly confident we could make custom ones, but as is I'm unsure how to do that and really don't have any motivation to try.   If anything, I'd be more interested in modding the real arcade version running in technoparrot.

hey howard it's actually easy to identify the modifications "hacking addresses" of your game (pc) and then translate it to (teknoparrot) using AOB scan will find the mirror in order of each address, obviously these will change.
The big question for customizing 2D textures and elements is if you're using dx9, if so it's easy.
if you use dx11 anymore I don't think it's possible to replace easily.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 07:30:50 am »
If anything, I'd be more interested in modding the real arcade version running in technoparrot.

Not that I'm against other mods, but for me having mods or an editor for the Arcade Version would be amazing! I'd certainly back a patreon, and i hope others would as well :)
Count me in! 👍

Beautiful

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2022, 11:05:18 am »
Thank you to everyone for the replies.

I'm using a modded PSP so that isn't an issue. Can also disassemble via PPSSPP emulation if required. Is the track order listed in a clear text file that is edited to suit?

The PSP version of the game sticks all of the files together in one large ALL.PSP which I've managed to split, recombine and then inject into the ISO with it working so that side is handled. If you can offer some guidance on how the track list modding works I can look at the PSP files and we can see if its feasible.

I've downloaded the PC version and I'm quite sure the actual files used are the same on both as they're all based on the same code. If you can give me the name and exact file size of what is edited to change the track order and a header of the file I can start looking as the extraction doesn't list any file specifics so I'll have to link them manually.

Matter of fact the PC version has some files with PSP/PS2 extensions as well. IIRC 2006 was developed natively for the PS2 then that code was ported to everything else which is why it wasn't as pretty as O2 which was Xbox dev from the ground up except the arcade version has double the available RAM.

OK, looking at the PS2 files now it appears they're identical to the PC except they're in custom .PS2 bundles instead of folders whereas all of them are in one big .PSP file on PSP. Definitely all using the same code just with lower quality assets on the PSP version.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 11:50:19 am by Beautiful »