Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [Resolved] Makvision / Wei-Ya M3129DF Tri-sync only happy with 31khz  (Read 1730 times)

rogerxyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2023, 05:09:30 pm
  • Building my very first cabinet!
Hi all,

I recently was fortunate enough to get my first arcade monitor, a Makvision / Wei-Ya M3129DF. Unfortunately this means I am pretty new to arcade monitors though not CRTs in general. This should be tri-sync on 15/25/31khz but I have only had success with 31khz so far. I'm testing it with GroovyArcade linux + GroovyMame. When running a 480p signal to it via HD15, on turning on power it will degauss, click once and display the image beautifully, no issues.

When I try to feed it 15khz via groovymame or a number of other esoteric options, on powerup, after degaussing, one of two things happens:
  • We get one click (promising!) but no signal, black screen.
  • We get a rapid clicking (~10-20hz?). The frequency of clicks is steady, but different video sources seem to produce different frequencies of clicking. To be clear, by frequency I mean how often it happens, not the tone.

[EDIT] Actually, it may be that when we see #2, it's actually just because groovymame crashed and we get dumped into linux's textmode which I presume is normal to produce this as it can't sync. I can't remember if this was the case last night when I was first testing it... I'm just realizing this now. So really the issues may be more with #1 and/or with the software.

I've mostly tried running with the "m3129" (should be correct!) as well as "arcade_15_25_31" and "m2929" monitor definitions.

I haven't done extensive testing of 25khz. I would be happy to try this out if anyone wants to throw out a title that will run at 25khz when using the "arcade_15_25_31" monitor definition.

Unfortunately, simply changing the impedance at the control board between 75/1k ohm doesn't change anything for me.

I understand enough to know that the click is some relay somewhere. And I've read elsewhere that this is possibly some kind of load circuit resetting.

I am happy to test things here but I'm just not sure where to start beyond a visual inspection of the chassis. I can carefully test voltages but I only have a multimeter, not a scope. I have an ESR meter too.

Anyone know what this indicates and how I would go about collecting more information?

Thank you as always  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 06:08:02 pm by rogerxyz »
Current build: originally a Dig-Dug cabinet, previously turned into an iCade w/ LCD, now a PC-powered MAME cabinet with consumer CRT TV, GreenAntz transcoder, and crt_emudriver.

rogerxyz

• Offline Offline
Re: Makvision / Wei-Ya M3129DF Tri-sync only happy with 31khz
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 10:50:53 pm »
Sorry folks, I think this may be a software/computer issue as GM seems to be core dumping every time it runs now when using the m3129 monitor definition. Before I make any assumptions about the monitor I think I have to rule out the possibility that this is due to the PC I'm running GA/GM on, and try some different GPUs or potentially different computers. Will update when I have exhausted these possibilities.
Current build: originally a Dig-Dug cabinet, previously turned into an iCade w/ LCD, now a PC-powered MAME cabinet with consumer CRT TV, GreenAntz transcoder, and crt_emudriver.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 01:00:11 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 03:08:16 am »
Any aversion to running Windows?

I have two Windows 10 boxes running CRTEmudriver, its associated tools and GroovyMame (one setup utilizing a Kortek trisync monitor) and they run everything I have tried with no issues.

Can't speak to GroovyArcade, but Substring has a long thread on getting things happening there with his Collaborative effort at least, and offers great support to people having issues from what I have read.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

rogerxyz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 03:52:39 pm »
Any aversion to running Windows?

No, none, my standup is running crt_emudriver on win10. As I just got this I'm still actually in the "checking if it works" and "fixing up" phases, and slapping GA on an extra PC was easier, especially because I didn't have another ATI card on hand. I could probably test by trying to drive the new monitor from my existing PC build but I am trying to learn my lesson about screwing with things that are working. Instead, I'm trying to get my hands on another older ATI card, I'll need it either way, whether I stay on Linux or wipe and go to Windows.

What was I doing until now? GA will actually work with a wider array of cards including integrated graphics which is what I was using. I'm pretty sure my specific motherboard won't accept low enough dot clocks though, so yes, getting a proper ATI card is first order of business.

Thread is kinda on hold until I can get that card, I have a lead... hopefully this week.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 03:54:43 pm by rogerxyz »

rogerxyz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 06:07:47 pm »
Got a Radeon 5450.

Confirmed, 15/31khz both working nicely with the "m3129" monitor profile :) Sorry all, the clicking was freaking me out but it was user error.