Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Daytona USA VS. Sega Racing Classic  (Read 5898 times)

Frogbull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2022, 08:26:16 am
  • DAYYYYYYYYTONA!!!
Daytona USA VS. Sega Racing Classic
« on: March 14, 2022, 04:36:09 am »
I just saw Boomslang video on YT where Sega Racing Classic seems to work really great in Network with Force Feedback on Teknoparrot so now I'm wondering, what are the advantages of emulating the Model 2 game when we have Sega Racing Classic? ???

I read that the Network of Sega Racing Classic was more accurate (but don't know if it's ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---). Ofc Sega Racing Classic have a proper 16/9 HUD and better looking sky. I also read that the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions were based on Sega Racing Classic.

So apart from the aesthetic, music and sound differences, is the gameplay of Sega Racing Classic different from Daytona USA?

If we rip the textures, sounds, musics from the PS3 or Xbox 360 version, maybe we could make a Mod for Sega Racing Classic and get the best looking & faithful Daytona USA. What do you think?

Unless such a Mod already exists? :P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 04:09:17 pm by Frogbull »

Frogbull

• Offline Offline
  • DAYYYYYYYYTONA!!!
Re: Daytona USA VS. Sega Racing Classic
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 04:06:33 pm »
First of all a BIG Thanks to Nuexzz & Boomslang for their NVIDIA fix :notworthy:

I was able to get Sega Racing Classic in 2K without any problem with my NVIDIA GPU ;)

After that, I digged a bit into the files to see if I could find something and it was the case, I completed all the "get the tools" objectives (replacing textures, sounds, musics) and I'm now able to edit the different file formats and rip what I need from the Model 2 and PS3 versions of the game >:D

We can't directly use all the files from PS3 & Xbox 360 versions of Daytona USA, many make the game crash but it won't be too hard to edit and replace files manually.

I tested all this ingame and it works quite well

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:45:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 08:51:36 am »
someone know if is possible run sega racing classic in 4:3?

MotownC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 pm
  • Reliving my youth, one lap at a time
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 12:43:38 pm »
Looking forward to seeing how this project progresses!

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 02:06:05 pm »
Just curious but have they fixed the graphical issues in Sega Racing Classic for TeknoParrot? I know about Nuexzz's nVidia fix but just wondering if the issue has been fixed natively, without the need to use that app?

Frogbull

• Offline Offline
  • DAYYYYYYYYTONA!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 02:28:58 pm »
someone know if is possible run sega racing classic in 4:3?
You want to play the game on a CRT screen?
The main problem is that the UI has been made especially for 16:9 :(

As possible solutions you can force 4:3 and enjoy aspect ratio carnage (perfect solution for those who like to play a SNES game stretched on a 16:9 TV screen :timebomb:)

Another better solution is to make the game run in a 16:9 borderless window an move it by an offset to get the game centered.
For example if the goal is to get 4:3 VGA (640x480) you run the game in 854x480 and you set the X position of the window at -107 (simple to get, (854-640)/2 )
The result will look like this:

The problem with this solution is that the UI is partly hidden :-X
With tool such as Cheat Engine you could find UI elements positions and modify them on-the-fly to fix the problem

A proper solution will be harder to achieve, would need to find the camera variables to change the FOV and many UI elements positions :dizzy:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 02:30:54 pm by Frogbull »

Frogbull

• Offline Offline
  • DAYYYYYYYYTONA!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 02:31:27 pm »
Looking forward to seeing how this project progresses!
:cheers:

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 01:26:58 am
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 11:04:18 pm »
I'm glad that someone else is working on it, 2 years ago I started the conversion and then I had to leave for personal projects, in a few weeks I hope to play again... since I don't have the PC armed at home yet.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:14:45 am by Nuexzz »

Frogbull

• Offline Offline
  • DAYYYYYYYYTONA!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 06:47:56 am »
What you did is nearly perfect Nuexzz! :o
As you're here I want to thank you again a lot for the NVIDIA fix you made with Boomslang :notworthy:

As the answer is a big yes, It's not useful to reinvent the wheel ;)

PS: I've sent you a PM Nuexzz ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 06:59:32 am by Frogbull »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 01:18:40 pm »
To address the original question in the OP, I just spent some time playing Daytona USA in Model 2 and Sega Racing Classic. I have to say, SRC appears to be a harder game to place first in...at least in 777 Speedway. The AI cars are more aggressive and drive much more erratically than in Daytona. They're constantly getting in your way and blocking you. It's almost hit or miss on whether or not you'll come out of the race unscathed  :lol Playing the game in Model 2 emu, they are more tame and it's easier to place 1st....at least for me. Again, perhaps it just placebo or maybe my mind may be playing tricks on me, but there certainly seems to be a difference between the two in terms of the way AI drive. Has this been your experience Frogbull?

Also Frogbull, since you're in the midst of hacking the Daytona model 2 rom, would it be possible for you to figure out a way to eliminate the music of the game while playing? Don't get me wrong, I like Daytona's music and everything, it has it's charm, but it would be nice to be able to turn it off and listen to my own music while playing the game. Particularly if I'm playing long sessions or playing Endurance mode. Unfortunately there is nothing in the game's Test menu that allows you to turn off the music. Is this something you can do my friend?

Frogbull

• Offline Offline
  • DAYYYYYYYYTONA!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 07:53:03 am »
For me gameplay and AI from SRC and Daytona USA Model 2 are the same. The thing I heard is that SRC is made for 60Hz monitor but Daytona USA CRT have a refresh rate a bit lower. That may explain you feel a difference.

As for the No Music option, I don't know for Daytona USA Model 2 (maybe by writing muted music over music, using https://github.com/belaw/m2me as a basis for doing that but it seems barbarian, the best will be to find Music Volume Variables, I read that music wasn't in True Stereo and that Sega used two volumes for Left/Right in order to fake a pan effect)
At the opposite for SRC it will be really easy, maybe the game has a Volume Music option already and if it's not the case you may (barbarian again :lol) replace current .adx files by empty .adx
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 08:22:16 am by Frogbull »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 12:26:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been able to extract and replace the music files for Sega Racing Classic a few months ago, but not for Daytona Model 2. That Sega Model 2 Music Extractor program in GitHub you link to would be exactly what I'm looking for! But Belaw appears to have either taken the release of the app down, or simply never  released it to the public. There are  only comits. Does anyone know where there might be a release of that m2me app uploaded anywhere?

Anyway I *DID* extract the rom and took a look at it. However none of the files are files I'm familiar with. Is the music in the game archived within some of those files? If so, I'm assuming the only way to extract only the music files, would be to get that m2me app, which brings us back to square one. Maybe Nuezzx knows how to do it?

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 08:46:38 pm »
I actually did nothing on that nvidia fix, it has me in the title just because i tested it for Nuexzz lol

he deserves all the praise

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 04:09:44 am »
What you did is nearly perfect Nuexzz! :o
As you're here I want to thank you again a lot for the NVIDIA fix you made with Boomslang :notworthy:

As the answer is a big yes, It's not useful to reinvent the wheel ;)

PS: I've sent you a PM Nuexzz ;)

no sir! You are doing a perfect piece of research and continue with it. If I can help you with anything, don't doubt it, I will. I won't finish it in a short time and I don't know if it will see the light either, but I would love to work with someone to make it happen (sometimes when I can't make progress I abandon them) maybe because I'm Argentine and nobody I know is interested in these projects...

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2022, 04:10:36 am »
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been able to extract and replace the music files for Sega Racing Classic a few months ago, but not for Daytona Model 2. That Sega Model 2 Music Extractor program in GitHub you link to would be exactly what I'm looking for! But Belaw appears to have either taken the release of the app down, or simply never  released it to the public. There are  only comits. Does anyone know where there might be a release of that m2me app uploaded anywhere?

Anyway I *DID* extract the rom and took a look at it. However none of the files are files I'm familiar with. Is the music in the game archived within some of those files? If so, I'm assuming the only way to extract only the music files, would be to get that m2me app, which brings us back to square one. Maybe Nuezzx knows how to do it?
with sega racing classic it is very easy to delete the songs in the tracks... we could replace the music file with a mute file. (since you have been looking for this option for your own pleasure for years) send me a pm and I will help you in the month of May, because I am building my house and I still don't have my desk... there is very little left

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2022, 04:11:32 am »
I actually did nothing on that nvidia fix, it has me in the title just because i tested it for Nuexzz lol

he deserves all the praise

no friend, you know well that we solve how to integrate it so that the end user finds it easy.
we work on the code variables also for the "reverse" mode (although it never saw the light) we just need to make sure that the slaves listen to the order of the master, maybe in a short time we will finish it to release the hacked mode

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2022, 05:19:47 pm »

with sega racing classic it is very easy to delete the songs in the tracks... we could replace the music file with a mute file. (since you have been looking for this option for your own pleasure for years) send me a pm and I will help you in the month of May, because I am building my house and I still don't have my desk... there is very little left

Hi Nuexzz. Congratulations on building your new home!  :cheers:

Thanks for the offer to help, it's appreciated. But...allow me to clarify my friend: I have already replaced the files and solved the music problem in Sega Racing Classic. I actually figured out how to do this last year. This is the reason why I find myself playing SRC more than Daytona USA on Model these days, because there's nothing like zooming down 777 Speedway while listening to "Donkey Doctor" by 808 State, or the Combination Mix of "Get the Balance Right" by Depeche Mode, or "Everything's Gone Green" by New Order :)

But what I want to do is find a way to mute the music in Daytona USA Model 2 version. I like SRC a lot, but I love playing Daytona USA on Model 2 emulator more. It's because of your wonderful hack and patch features for the Model version of the game(ie Daytona++), and that is not available on SRC. Not to mention Model 2 emulator can play the other bootleg versions of Daytona USA, like Daytona 93 Special Edition or whatever it's called.

But anyway, take your time with your new home my friend. Maybe in May if you get some time, I will PM you and perhaps we will figure something out by then  :cheers:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2022, 10:06:44 am »
This is the reason why I find myself playing SRC more than Daytona USA on Model these days, because there's nothing like zooming down 777 Speedway while listening to "Donkey Doctor" by 808 State, or the Combination Mix of "Get the Balance Right" by Depeche Mode, or "Everything's Gone Green" by New Order :)

My dude, I had no idea you had such good taste in music  :applaud: I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan, saw them live for the first time in Hyde Park about 14 years ago. Love a bit of 808 State and New Order too - I'm seeing Peter Hook play with his new band The Light in my home city next month.

Having said that though... Changing the music in Daytona feels a bit like blasphemy to me, like, I duno, watching Star Wars with a rock soundtrack.

To be honest though, the whole trying to convert SRC into Daytona USA thing feels a bit lost on me, seeing as Model 2 emulator lets you upscale the game into 1080p and widescreen anyway, which as far as I was aware were the two main benefits SRC had over the original arcade game. Admittedly I haven't got a 4K monitor, so I've never tried anything above 1080p when it comes to Daytona...

Frogbull

• Offline Offline
  • DAYYYYYYYYTONA!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 01:30:08 pm »
Having said that though... Changing the music in Daytona feels a bit like blasphemy to me, like, I duno, watching Star Wars with a rock soundtrack.

To be honest though, the whole trying to convert SRC into Daytona USA thing feels a bit lost on me, seeing as Model 2 emulator lets you upscale the game into 1080p and widescreen anyway, which as far as I was aware were the two main benefits SRC had over the original arcade game. Admittedly I haven't got a 4K monitor, so I've never tried anything above 1080p when it comes to Daytona...
Yes, changing the music is pure blasphemy but many great mods/options/ideas are pure blasphemy for some fanatics.

There are fanatics who would like to burn alive those who play on emulators rather than consoles.
Those who play on a flat screen rather than the holy cathode ray tube :notworthy: I confess my sins :embarassed:
Those who put high resolution patches or widescreen patches (Sonic in 16:9 for example)
Or those who play RTS or FPS with a gamepad instead of playing with keyboard and mouse as any normally constituted human being should do :lol

But at the end the only thing that counts is the game pleasure that gamers have, if someone wants to replace the Daytona stock car with a Lamborghini that won't interest me but I'll find it great that the possibility exists.
About benefits of SRC over Model 2, for me it's more about heretic stuff like 16:9 & HD user interface, native Up/Down shift (I've a modded Arcade racecab with a Up/Down Shifter) and the Graphic API that could open the door to advanced Shaders & Effects :afro:
Another point that I would like to see in Daytona USA is the death of the old clipping (only due to the limitation of the Fujitsu MB86232 GPU) even if some will cry heresy :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 01:35:57 pm by Frogbull »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2022, 05:24:53 pm »
This is the reason why I find myself playing SRC more than Daytona USA on Model these days, because there's nothing like zooming down 777 Speedway while listening to "Donkey Doctor" by 808 State, or the Combination Mix of "Get the Balance Right" by Depeche Mode, or "Everything's Gone Green" by New Order :)

My dude, I had no idea you had such good taste in music  :applaud: I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan, saw them live for the first time in Hyde Park about 14 years ago. Love a bit of 808 State and New Order too - I'm seeing Peter Hook play with his new band The Light in my home city next month.

Haha that's awesome bro! I had a feeling you were into 80's synth pop going by some of your past vids. I saw DM at the Rose Bowl here in LA back in what...'88 I think? They killed it! Been heavy into them ever since. Been into New Order since post JD. Hooky's the best bassist of all time. I need to check out his new band. But Sumner is the effing man! The three Electronic albums he did with Marr are outstanding. Bad Leiutenant was just OK though. 808 State's early material is A-tier stuff! Unfortunately everything post Don Solaris is garbage. But I give 'em credit for the die hard Trance fan I am  :cheers:

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2022, 06:28:15 am »
Those who play on a flat screen rather than the holy cathode ray tube :notworthy: [revealed]I confess my sins :embarassed:[/revealed]

Butter Sees All. Butter Judges All.

I do like a bit of 808 state though, nothing wrong with that :)

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2022, 04:24:08 am »
Hi everyone.

Ive never installed this on my twin as Ive always been happy with the m2 version however I gave it a go the other day with the latest Teknoparrot and no matter what I do I cant fix the graphical glitches (shimmering and 2d out of aligment). Ive tried the nvidia fix exe you run before the game, no difference, tried different resolution etc, issues still exist. Tried a Nvidia GTX760, 960, 1060, all the same.

I have 50 linked racers on my cab and as you can imagine they have all taken some time to setup so this isn't my first rodeo.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Krakatoa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:07:01 pm
  • No idea what I am doing
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2022, 08:44:36 am »
Did you run the fix as admin?

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2022, 04:50:58 pm »

Probably but I will double check  :)

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2022, 10:51:07 pm »

Hi, thanks for your help. Issue was I wasnt running the game from c:\sega racing classic, that fixed my issues, yes I was running as admin already. The nvidia fix gets rid of all the shimmering on the windows and track so thats good however if I try to run the game using a patched exe for 1920x1080 then the 2d elements are all misaligned but shimmering still fixed, any ideas?

If no fix available then thats fine as it looks fine in 720p anyway.

Also worth noting is the audio is out of sync when in twin linked mode. The game runs fine, the race time and interaction with the other player is in sync just the music and atract screens out of sync, strange.

Thanks

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2022, 02:23:36 am »

The nvidia fix gets rid of all the shimmering on the windows and track so thats good however if I try to run the game using a patched exe for 1920x1080 then the 2d elements are all misaligned but shimmering still fixed, any ideas?

the nvidia graphics solution has nothing to do with the hacked binary for higher screen resolution! although I have studied the 2d elements and so far I can only reduce it and not enlarge it, a pity. Maybe one day we'll find a way to do it.

Nuexzz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2022, 02:29:26 am »
what I have found is to force the 4:3 mode but do not pay attention to the 2d elements. i will review it as soon as i can

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2022, 07:42:04 pm »

The nvidia fix gets rid of all the shimmering on the windows and track so thats good however if I try to run the game using a patched exe for 1920x1080 then the 2d elements are all misaligned but shimmering still fixed, any ideas?

the nvidia graphics solution has nothing to do with the hacked binary for higher screen resolution! although I have studied the 2d elements and so far I can only reduce it and not enlarge it, a pity. Maybe one day we'll find a way to do it.

Hey thats cool, Im happy with in in 720P anyway. Thanks