Main > Project Announcements

Making SEGA Genesis cartridges

<< < (2/54) > >>

Mike A:

--- Quote from: javeryh on March 15, 2022, 12:57:10 pm ---What is even going on here?  Are you swapping out PCBs from the crappy sports games or something?

--- End quote ---

Some questions are better left unasked.

Malenko:

--- Quote from: javeryh on March 15, 2022, 12:57:10 pm ---What is even going on here?  Are you swapping out PCBs from the crappy sports games or something?

--- End quote ---

Making the carts flashable. The universal ones PCBs don't fit in EA carts and its weird to see Skitchin running on a regular sized cart.  Plus I think its cheaper to do what he's doing instead of buying the Chinese bootlegs carts.

javeryh:

--- Quote from: Malenko on March 16, 2022, 10:03:42 am ---

--- End quote ---

Making the carts flashable. The universal ones PCBs don't fit in EA carts and its weird to see Skitchin running on a regular sized cart.  Plus I think its cheaper to do what he's doing instead of buying the Chinese bootlegs carts.

--- End quote ---

So you can flash whatever game you want, print out a sticker and it will be as if you have that game? 

That's super cool.  Is it hard to do?

bobbyb13:
Took me until here to figure out wtf has been going on in this thread.

pbj:
Doesn't anyone read thread titles anymore?   ::)

Anyway, yes, in theory Genesis cartridges are easy to convert.  The only game with special chips on the board was Virtua Racing, which I already own.  Otherwise it was just a ROM.  Some of them got fancier with flash save game storage, high/low rom splitting across two cheaper chips, and others used battery backup but at the end of the day any game will run off a single 4MB EPROM.

In terms of cost, all in, I paid $0.87 each for these games.  The EPROMs are about $1 each in bulk.  I've got 20 coming on a slow boat from China.

EPROM burner with the proper adapter was $110.  I got the Willem GQ 4X4 because it's actively supported and seems to just work on the youtube videos I've watched.

EPROM eraser was $30.  Didn't think that was the device to mess around with rigging.

Desoldering iron I already had as seen previously.

Other options:

Everdrive.  $30 for a clone or $180 for the good one.  Already have one.  I want to touch cartridges.

Chinese flash carts.  Already have a few.  They need a special flasher, which I also already have.   They've about $3.50 for a loose PCB, $6 for one in a case, and $10 for one in a case with battery saving ability.  The battery saving ones only support 2 MB games, so Phantasy Star 4 and a few others are out.  The edges of the connector on these isn't beveled and I guess the chips run at the "wrong" voltage or whatever but they're fine.

Cheap bootlegs from Thailand.  $5.  Play fine.  Not beveled.  Look cheap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version