Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Now I may have done it- Sinistar cabaret  (Read 8064 times)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Now I may have done it- Sinistar cabaret
« on: February 21, 2022, 11:09:54 pm »
I'm wondering when I am finally going to get in trouble for all this.

Plywood purchase ban to be instituted in 3... 2... 1...

Side panel template designing is coming along much faster and easier at this point.

I found the profile I was looking to start with over at classicarcadecabinets (again) so tweaking it a little for my purposes was not so hard.

The reason I suppose I haven't made a cabaret style cab prior to this was that the screen angle is not good for me- at all.
Staring down like that for too long is really bad for me.

After I decided that I would look at what a steeper screen angle and different depth afforded (along with a little difference in the height of the back edge of the cabinet I came up with this.

With this layout the screen angle should wind up about 105 degrees from floor plane- which is surprisingly fine (damn close to the Paperboy in fact- and that is quite comfy for me.)

After it is sitting on casters the back corner will be at about 64" which will actually not be horrible with the knee wall and 45 degree angle of the gable roof (ceiling!) in The Loft.

The leading edge of the control panel will be at 38" and the bottom edge of the marquee will wind up at 65" and so won't obstruct view except maybe for someone a few inches taller than me (so over 6' tall.)

Like most everything else I have been building this is NOT an exact replica of course, but it certainly has the proper vibe and accomodates my desires for ergonomics.

Now to get some  black primer and a few other bits to keep going when I can get some more time.

I BARELY snuck in the cutting and cleaning up of this one this afternoon after a pretty random workday.

I'm going to be really busy with a few remodels here for a few weeks so it will make me nuts to not be able to work on it much.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
Re: Now I may have done it- Sinistar cabaret
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 11:31:12 pm »
Looks good to me, pro at work.

Love how you just whipped this up with barely a plan. Did you do a sketch first or just draw it onto the plywood and let the jigsaw do the talking?

EDIT: I see the sketch! :lol
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 11:50:43 pm by Zebidee »
Check out my completed projects!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 03:38:43 am »
Thanks Zebidee!
I am getting better at this finally.

I have been trying to build a cabaret/Tully/something not full size for a while now just because it makes so much more sense for the space the home arcade is being built into at this point.
It took until this one to sort out a profile that would fit a legitimate 19" tube at an angle I can live with and still maintain a control panel height and angle I like also.

Searching for a while for a Sinistar cabaret was fruitless but Williams did make some of the other contemporaneous titles in that form factor so I figured what the hell.

Then a search for Williams cabaret brought up the Stargate version which is the inspiration for this one.
The only scale picture I found of the thing made it look like it was a height that one could rest their giblets on the control panel and I thought no way.
Smacks of A1Up at that size.

At the dimensions I decided on it seemed like it might not make a purist immediately vomit, and I really liked the concept myself.

Of course what I ACTUALLY got to work on tonight was this-

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but the sooner I get this guest spot finished then the sooner people can come visit (I think our muppet impersonating governor may finally give up on this conflicted visitor/travel stupidity) and also the sooner I can get back to sorting out our aquaponics pond and then building stuff I really WANT to.

Of course I may make an excuse to work on Sinistar tomorrow.
 >:D
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 04:41:25 am »
A little more progress!

I'm actually most excited about this one because I have stumbled onto what are great proportions for a traditional style single player cabinet that is as small as possible and still fits me comfortably.

Cabinet bases henceforth will only be this:

Ply bottom deck
2x4s for side panel supports.
Four 2" wheel casters- straight ones in back and pivots in front.

I am picking up the front panel just enough to get your hand under to engage/disengage the brakes on the front casters.
The back panel where I'm putting the power inlet sits on top of the plywood base panel.
Done.

Seems like getting the casters set on the ply, the 2x4s set on that and then resting the side panels on a piece of ply scrap (so they wind up 3/4" off the floor) just makes it all so easy.
Pilot for screws to hold the side panels in place and glue and screw them on.

I've been looking for a simple solution that adds a strongback to the simplest of modular tube holding brackets and here it is.

I have been making all of these cabinets with wood control panels and using various methods of blocking to support the weight.
It occurred to me here that blocking long enough can:

-Support the control panel
-Act as the bottom support for bezel, bezel art, and plexiglass (without needing any bottom C- channel of other piece)
-Also be the bottom support for the tube mounting bracket.

After I had thought through exactly where the front face of the screen needed to be so that the neckboard would still clear the back door it was easier to pick the angle that the bezel support would exist at and to make this all come together at once.

Once I knew where the tube would wind up it was easy to pick the location for the chassis shelf and to drop the upper tube support into the right spot to mark for mounting holes.

The other thing this all did was show me how long the speaker panel would wind up- which was longer than the first piece I had cut for it- but made it easier to sort out the angle for that and where to put the blocking to carry it also.

I have the control panel (which is an 'L' like an original Sinistar- albeit wood) pieces cut and beveled also but I will wait to assemble that until I have the overlay and know exactly where the buttons and stick go.

Either way, it is ready for paint!

I'm hoping to get it primed before I have to head out for a few jobs tomorrow.

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:25 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 03:28:30 pm »
You are a ---smurfing--- beast.

I love it.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 07:36:06 pm »
Bobby won't stop until he has all his fave games covered! I feel inspired   8)

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 08:55:57 pm »
Thanks for the accolades gents. :cheers:

It's getting more fun as it gets easier.

Building the damn Spy Hunter I can't get out of my head will be the one that kills me.

Only had time to prep sand the thing and sort out the new air compressor lines and moisture filter before I had to run off for work and errands.
Ate my whole day.

Maybe it will get primed today before it's dark out.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2022, 08:57:35 pm »
Looking good!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 04:38:51 pm »
Thank you sir!

And finally...

Was beginning to think this wouldn't happen this weekend with all the other crap I have had going on.

On the plus side, the guest house (called an 'ohana' here) is finished- finally.
When the wife doesn't have it rented out it will be available for any housebroken community members who want to come visit for a few weeks and help me work on monitors!
 :cheers:

Painting is getting a lot easier to deal with, but I think cleaning the gun properly/thoroughly afterwards will always be a PITA.

Maaaybe soon I can start experimenting with urethanes for something though!

Hopefully get some finish coats on this before the day is out.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 12:28:28 am »
Back in black

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2022, 07:15:40 am »
Holy crap Bobby.  You are all about getting ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- done.  I can’t imagine what you’d do with a CNC machine in your shop.

This cabinet is looking great.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 08:06:51 pm »
Thank you!

Most of it lately is that I keep showing up to jobs and find that I am waiting on other trades- and so wind up trying to sort out the workshop-

And getting distracted

I got a second coat of black on this after round one the other day hardened up pretty well and decided I could work on display mounting.

Lack of real screens being available here and my absolute refusal to put an LCD in one of these cabinets has previously made proper monitors nothing but frustrating and/or expensive.
I have been able to scrounge enough component in TVs to make this all tolerable- thanks to Andrew.

And so today we get to have Jrok DB15 jack out to GreenAntz board out to component in TV for the win!

Have people been figuring out how frackin' awesome your boards are for making this all just work...? (with no headaches either.)

Fun part of the Jrok as far as running Sinistar is that the 49 way stick doesn't control any menu navigation (which happens to be sideways when you are trying what I am up to) but it gave me use for this crappy joystick I have had sitting here for years!

I can't see myself really needing to cruise through the menu much once I have it all set up but this stick is useless other wise so I think I'll make a mounting bracket for it and screw it to the inside for when it is needed.

Apart from getting sync happening properly with the right signal coming out of the Jrok board too I can claim a win on guessing which way to tilt the tube to not have to play this standing on my head.

CCW from viewing position for those curious.

Time to make some harnesses and get this thing functional.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 11:03:36 pm »
I have been able to scrounge enough component in TVs to make this all tolerable- thanks to Andrew.

And so today we get to have Jrok DB15 jack out to GreenAntz board out to component in TV for the win!

Have people been figuring out how frackin' awesome your boards are for making this all just work...? (with no headaches either.)

Thanks man, it is stuff like this that makes it all worthwhile  8)

Apart from getting sync happening properly with the right signal coming out of the Jrok board too I can claim a win on guessing which way to tilt the tube to not have to play this standing on my head.

CCW from viewing position for those curious.

Sorry if you know this already: If you get it wrong and can't be bothered physically turning the tube, or can't for some reason, you can always flip the 2-pin horizontal yoke connector around 180 degrees. This will also flip the image on the horz (long) axis. If your yoke connector has both horz and vertical stuck together (4 pins), like many are, then you would need to cut it in the middle (2 sets of 2 pins) to perform this trick. Obviously switch TV off before doing this. I've done it many times with no incident.

As always, my advice and suggestions are given freely, thoughtfully and with great care, but unfortunately no responsibility if it screws up   ;)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 11:03:55 pm »
LoL @ mounting the tube the right way first time. I almost never get it right first time.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 05:46:25 am »

Sorry if you know this already: If you get it wrong and can't be bothered physically turning the tube, or can't for some reason, you can always flip the 2-pin horizontal yoke connector around 180 degrees. This will also flip the image on the horz (long) axis. If your yoke connector has both horz and vertical stuck together (4 pins), like many are, then you would need to cut it in the middle (2 sets of 2 pins) to perform this trick. Obviously switch TV off before doing this. I've done it many times with no incident.

As always, my advice and suggestions are given freely, thoughtfully and with great care, but unfortunately no responsibility if it screws up   ;)

I was aware that these things can be played with (although I would be guessing about which to swap still) and I am afraid to even try!
At this point I have inadvertantly fried so many components on things trying to learn that I am taking a break for a bit on experimenting.

LoL @ mounting the tube the right way first time. I almost never get it right first time.

Like a coin toss- except somehow I won this time!
And that's ok, because when I mounted the joystick in this thing tonight I got that 180 degrees wrong the first shot, so... yeah.   :lol

Since I had gotten so far anyway somehow this week I figured why not stay up too late again and work on this some more.

Getting the control panel stuff sorted at first seemed pretty daunting as I have never dealt with mounting real leaf switch buttons before and this is also a first with a 49-way stick.

To make things more interesting, the place I actually found a legit assortment of proper color Sinistar leaf switch buttons happened to be out of pal nuts.
My local Ace Hardware had some coarse thread jam nuts that turned out to be the right fit (and costing $1 more each than a regular pal nut I'm sure) but what the hell.

And this is all more what the hell will I do because the only buttons I could find the proper translucent blue, orange, and red happen to be the short shank ones.

So as I am working with wood here it required some treatment with the router to get a cavity that I can get away with mounting these and making them functional.

Also entertainingly, the Williams 49-way has this donut on the top of the mounting plate that is 1-3/4" diameter.
Not only does that let you stuff the joystick assembly into a panel without having to remove the ball/shaft first but the donut also happens to be 3/4" tall and so sits flush with a plywood panel when mounted.

Had no idea.

I sat for a while with my eyes starting to cross while building a harness that could go from 49-way joystick to Jrok header (using parts of other harnesses I had around since I am too impatient to wait for the rest of the new molex bits I ordered to come) but wound up with what looked like it would work.

That is of course as long as I hadn't flipped the wiring over the wrong way (because the diagrams I could find of the two ends were shown opposite directions just for added fun-)

So after drilling, routing, crimping, heat shrinking, zip tying, etc. to see if I could get a test panel of something close to original arrangement and see if the whole mess actually works, we get...

And holy crap it actually plays.
And I am reminded decades later now just how much I SUCK at Sinistar.

But it's still fun.

And there is SO much unnecessary wire in a full prebuilt jamma harness for this machine that I can't stand the idea of all this crap in here, so I will be building a harness from a blank I got to sort this mess out and tidy up.

See how long that takes.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 06:18:31 am by bobbyb13 »

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:11:07 pm
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 07:28:44 am »
That true 49 way is beautiful. I haven't played a real Sinistar in forever. I also suck but it was a favorite of mine. I have tried to play it with my U360 but it doesn't have that pull which makes it very hard for me. Great work.

J_K_M_A_N

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 05:36:51 am »
Thank you  :cheers:
Yeah, this joystick is quite the piece of engineering.
I'm sure they were prohibitively expensive to make and so weren't going to be utilized much as it was, never mind the arcade collapse effect on investment in this kind of thing.

I suck at it too.  Just played it a few times after working on it and broke 50k though- barely.
You must need to really master the acceleration characteristics of this thing to get really good at this game.
And play it incessantly for a good period of time too I bet!

And so, I was irritated about how much wire is left cluttering up the cabinet using a fully populated jamma harness for this particular build and rather than just chop off or zip tie up what wasn't needed (probably 75% of it actually) I thought, why not make my own...?

Can't say that I will be rushing to do this again probably, but it was a great exercise in sorting through some soldering and by the end of it, the whole process was not bad- just time consuming.

Not the most beautiful thing I have ever made, but I had gone through the trouble also to find that 22g wire is the largest that is easy to manage for signal wires and then ordered what turned out to be quite nice quality stuff from WireBarn.
Overkill for this hobby maybe (as it appears to be really nice engine bay wire actually) but it won't fail!

Anyone care to share what they have found as a definitive source for wire?

I found also that for the main ground and 5v and 12v lines you can even manage to use 16g if you tin it so that you can flatten it to get it through the eyelets on the connector.

Took longer than I would have thought, but the result looks so much nicer that it was worth it.

And best yet, the machine still worked when I swapped that into the cabinet and reconnected everything.

I think the art for CP, marquee and bezel will all show up this week so maybe I can actually finish this one this weekend- if I can find the T-molding that I have hidden from myself that is.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 05:54:14 am »
Not the most beautiful thing I have ever made, but I had gone through the trouble also to find that 22g wire is the largest that is easy to manage for signal wires and then ordered what turned out to be quite nice quality stuff from WireBarn.
Overkill for this hobby maybe (as it appears to be really nice engine bay wire actually) but it won't fail!

22 or 24 AWG is what I usually use, or whatever I have available that works.

Thread your rolls of different coloured wire onto a offcut piece of PVC pipe and put an 90 degree elbow on the end to hold it on. Then you can easily grab your wire, move it where you are working, and just pull off whatever lengths you need.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2022, 02:13:39 pm »
I do need to come up with a good wire rack of some sort.

I started out by looking for some wood dowel and thinking I should make something first but then stared at where the bench had been relocated and remembered that I still need to hang shelves or a cabinet, land a box with some 120V receptacles, get a light hung...
Finally decided I would rather build the harness than infrastructure last night.

The whole workshop looks like a bomb went off in there at the moment as it is.
Finishing the guest house (done!) required relocating all the crap in that building and the carport up into the shop while I build the gardening shed (not started! Rrrrr) and rearrange the aquaponics system and fish pond.

Lots more distractions delaying my next three builds!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2022, 10:09:17 am »
Three?!?!?  LOL WTF.

I love it.   :cheers:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2022, 06:46:35 pm »
My marquee and CP art came in so I cheated a bit more time to work on this too.

Test CP was off with button arrangement of course, but I have another piece of wood ready to go to make the real one.

The one handed Milwaukee router and the vac unit makes for a really nice setup for this sort of stuff.

I had forgotten that this CP blank was originally going to be the one that went on the Multi-Williams and I had punched for drilling buttons and sticks- so those little pings needed filler.
Good excuse for my favorite blending concoction.

Once that had gelled I figured it was time to assemble the whole thing so that I could put filler on the inevitable gap between the top and front panels.
I think this corner block will work because I glued and screwed the crap out of it.

I don't remember what the bevel angle was but I matched it all so it would look right and be strong.
Once I get the filler I addded to the front corner sanded out I'll be able to get the overlay on it and button that part up.
Still have to decide if I will use regular panel clamps or just screw it in place from the backside.

I don't see this control panel coming out much.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2022, 05:48:48 am »
I got my buddy's board done and the lady is out with the girls for a B-day fiasco for one of them so I got free time

I am still surprised at how simple these builds can get when you are dealing with jamma boards.
Not sure I had squared this away yet previously but I stil need to add one more set of jumpers to power another light bar that is just zip tied in to see if it does what I want.

Fused power inlet, line filter, distribution block, power converter...  so easy.

Add a GreenAntz with cables and a Trinitron, Jrok board and jamma harness with the right wires, and off you go.

I love how simple these are getting.  In addition to the wonders of MAME I am now also a huge fan of fpga too.

Once again love me some GameOnGrafix here.

I have bezel art coming also (which I think is at the PO waiting for me now actually) so if I can find the T-molding I got for it a while back it will be nearly done next week maybe even.

Always thought that it was a waste to have such cool buttons on the original here and have them NOT be lit.
I'm correcting that deficiency on mine.

And if I didn't suck so bad at this game it would all make sense!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2022, 07:44:14 am »
That looks awesome!

I could never master Sinistar either.

I like that you are powering the GreenAntz from the DC PSU, using the 5v/GND landing pads provided.

Going to put a coin door or faux coin door on the front?

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:11:07 pm
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2022, 09:08:07 am »
I 1000% agree on the buttons not being lit up. It was always a shame. Those look fantastic.

I love that game and it is one that just doesn't feel right unless you have the 49 way with the rubber. I wish I could play a real one again. I have not found a working one in the wild since I was a kid. I have a U360, but it doesn't feel right without the resistance. :(

Great job so far. I can't wait to see it complete.

J_K_M_A_N

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2022, 11:23:08 am »
WOW Bobby - this thing looks awesome.  Really really nice job.  The artwork really brings it all together and I really like the buttons lit up like that.  If you get a chance, can you explain your setup in more detail for idiots like me who have only ever used a PC and MAME?   :cheers:

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2022, 02:02:51 pm »
That looks awesome!

I could never master Sinistar either.

I like that you are powering the GreenAntz from the DC PSU, using the 5v/GND landing pads provided.

Going to put a coin door or faux coin door on the front?

Thanks Andrew!
Yeah, the game quickly becomes imoossible for me after blowing up Sinistar just once.
Love how easy it is to get the GreenAntz integrated.  Glad I remebered how to solder decently finally.

Doesn't look right without a coin door, does it?!
I need to do something, but...
1. Jrok board makes it functionally moot.
2. Getting one shipped to me literally doubles the cost!

Maybe a fakie one is in order here, but I'm not confident one of those doesn't just look REALLY fake- which is possibly worse than nothing.
That kick panel is actually attached with screws so I can pull it out and alter it easily.
 :)

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2022, 02:49:32 pm »
WOW Bobby - this thing looks awesome.  Really really nice job.  The artwork really brings it all together and I really like the buttons lit up like that.  If you get a chance, can you explain your setup in more detail for idiots like me who have only ever used a PC and MAME?   :cheers:

Thank you sir!
Easiest of all of my builds so far.
A MAME box is actually harder to set up.

Components in order of build/flow are:

Fused power inlet and AC line filter
Distribution block and power supply converter/ switching power supply.
Jrok Multi-Williams board
JAMMA harness
VGA cable
GreenAntz video board
Component (rgb) RCA cable set
Sony Trinitron with component in
Joystick
Buttons
Two led light strips- one for marquee, one for button illumination.

The Jrok board only needs ground and +5V from the power supply.
It has a jumper to output vga or cga signal, depending on your screen requirements.

GreenAntz board needs the same power.

A normal joystick and buttons setup via jamma is easy. The 49 way here requires a seperate harness and also needs ground and +5V.

My MultiWilliams and BitKit cabinets were just as easy!

Are you going to build something similar soon?

Happy to help/enable in whatever way I can!
 :lol

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2022, 12:09:35 pm »
Thanks Bobby.  Doesn't look too complicated but I may need to pick your brain when the time comes.  I will probably try a board solution on my next cab like FGPA or maybe even original hardware.  Nothing going on at the moment but I do want to get my hands on a Midway cocktail this year.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2022, 12:34:55 pm »
If a real coin door doesn't go on that cab...

I can't be held responsible for any terrible things that may happen.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2022, 01:39:35 pm »
If a real coin door doesn't go on that cab...

I can't be held responsible for any terrible things that may happen.

You were the first person I thought of as regards coin door of course.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2022, 05:56:10 am »
While I'm waiting for some deadbeats to pay up so maybe I can afford a real coin door for this and keep myself out of trouble...

My bezel art (for three of my projects actually) came in.
A KLOVer named Jesse can print full size one piece stuff- and does it on nice Fuji photo stock even.

Made time to trim the Sinistar one to fit and get phase one of having it be permanent going on tonight.
Looks better than original stuff really.

I have made it a moral imperative to actually play something every time I go work on something, which in this case just means some more self-flaggelation with Sinstar of course.

Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin----

Is ANYone good at this game?

WHY the hell did I get obsessed with making a dedicated cabinet for something this humiliating?!

Oh yeah, it's a damn cool game- even when you suck.
I lost track of how many games it took me tonight to even blow up Sinistar once.
I've never in my life even done it twice in one game.

:blowup:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2022, 07:07:34 am »
I’m certain that with your new dedicated cab,  soon you’ll be posting the new byoac high score

I do indeed like the illuminated buttons, very much

kma

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 09:57:22 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2022, 06:52:02 pm »
This is a thing of absolute beauty. Change the lives to every 30,000. That was what they originally planned before the operators wanted a shorter game. I have had over 2 million back in the day. The only game to be better than Robotron.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2022, 11:01:23 pm »
Thank you!
I need to check the settings and see what is going on.
I thought I had switched over to the supposedly less abusive AMOA roms but I honestly can't tell the difference.
---my bottom--- gets handed to me just as fast either way.

And why the hell is the second screen referred to as the Worker Zone when I always get shot out of space by what seems like a quadrupling of the damn Warrior ships?!

I think the closest I ever got to killing Sinistar a second time the gloating bastard still had 3 pieces left when he snacked on me- again.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2022, 07:10:47 am »
Do you have a spot for all of the cabs you are building?

I would like to see pics of the arcade space.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2022, 03:59:41 pm »
Wish I had more room!
Space is at a premium out here.
I'm lucky to have a workshop and I built a second floor loft onto it to have some space for something.
Turns out it is becoming the ArcadeLoft.

Thought I had a recent pic on my phone but no dice.
I'll have to get one later today to post so you know I'm not just making ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- up.
 :)

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2022, 12:34:09 am »

Ta-daaa!

Room for one more on this side before I need to move the drumkit.
Really don't want to move the drum kit.

This side has room for a few more- which is good.
I have at least 4 more to put up here and then I will have to cry uncle.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2022, 02:49:21 am »
The angled backs fit neatly against the angled roofline. Efficient use of space!

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2022, 05:44:48 am »
It is a 12:12 roof and the rafters literally rest on the ceiling of the 10' high block build of the ground floor.
There is a 4 ft high knee wall allowing for TV hoarding storage space behind.
Makes for about 300 sq ft. of interesting space.

Apart from Paperboy (which is a faithful silhouette repro) choosing/designing cabinets with the proper profile has been a build parameter right along.

Even for the S.S. Marshmallow in fact.

The next one will follow suit.

Rampage and Star Wars Trilogy screw up the whole paradigm, but oh well.
 :dunno

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2022, 09:49:52 am »

Ta-daaa!

You can fit a row down the middle too. You are not done yet.

Room for one more on this side before I need to move the drumkit.
Really don't want to move the drum kit.

This side has room for a few more- which is good.
I have at least 4 more to put up here and then I will have to cry uncle.