Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Time Crisis 2 "Proof of Concept" Pop-up unit with DIY Pedals  (Read 3117 times)

XSFDriver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2023, 11:02:22 pm
Time Crisis 2 "Proof of Concept" Pop-up unit with DIY Pedals
« on: February 13, 2022, 04:11:50 am »
Hi all, firstly, apologies to Gstav, who PM a request for more info on this a while ago, it took me a bit to find the pic's and get some measurements of the stuff that was in storage, (so, obviously pic's from an older project) but I've finally got to post this, hope this helps.

Over the years, I've been tinkering with PlayStation 2 LAN and lately PC LAN games... slowly learning bits and pieces along the way.

Due to a lack of space, I'd put together set-ups that could be packed up and stored in the spare room so as to keep our home "a home"... and just have this stuff set up every 6 months or so for when we have a big "Catch up/ game night", with a heap of mates... as a lot of you guys do (but we don't have a dedicated Arcade Room like some of the one's I've seen on here... and Yes, I'm just a bit (lots) envious of those who do)

...And so, at first, this set up "evolved" for 6 players, on PS2's hooked up with LAN, so we could hit the bourbons and have a run at Bathurst (V8 Supercars 3)... or shoot the crap outta each other on Socom Navy Seals, COD2 and 28 to 30 other LAN games all on PS2's with their own HDD's installed (using wireless Logitech controllers of course... Controller cables and people drinking don't mix well)

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
Re: Time Crisis 2 "Proof of Concept" Pop-up unit with DIY Pedals
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 04:20:24 am »
A few years ago, I was looking at the list of LAN games on wiki, never really paying attention to internet or i-Link games before, and I noticed "Time Crisis 2" listed under the i-Link section. Having played that at the Arcades heaps with my son when he was younger, the gears started turning in my head and then that was it...

That thought we all get, popped into my head, and it was like an itch I had to scratch. I had to see if the PS2's i-Link version was good as (or how close to) the arcade... But for that, I would need two "early" PS2's with the i-Link port, and if it was gunna be a real test, we'd need proper pedals to stomp on...

...and so, I had to make these...

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 04:35:28 am »
...sorry... posted that last pic twice by mistake (it was s'posed to be this next one)  ::)

To start with, I measured a "Real" Time Crisis pedal at an arcade... and decided to go "slightly" smaller, but to scale, just for when we wanted to use the pedals individually in our lounge room.

So, for this build, I made the pedals 200mm (roughly 8 inches) across by 140mm (5 1/2 inches) which is about 80% the size of the real arcade pedals.

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 04:16:44 am »
Here's the next lot of pic's. I had a handfull of various springs to test, to see which ones "felt" right... ended up choosing a pair of valve springs I raided out of a "Briggs and Stratton" lawnmower engine, and used the collets out of same engine to mount them.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 05:08:11 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 05:54:42 am »
These look great! I love that you re-purposed valve springs and collets from a mower to fit them out as well. Welding is a skill I don't have (yet). The welding work and finish on the pedals looks really clean.   :cheers:  Ond

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 07:32:35 am »
Thanks Ond, I'm always recycling stuff to build things, it also keeps cost down so you can spend money elsewhere, where needed I guess. As for the welding, I can do strong welds but find it hard to do "neat" welds on thin steel, but practice seems key in that area.

Most of the welds on this project had to be ground flat using a Flap-disk so as to fit other parts on neatly. I've learnt a thing or two from your videos in your Pacman Legion thread (and lots of other threads on here, to many to name individually)... Quite impressive work mate.

Anyway, here's the rest of the build pic's... Cheers :cheers:

gstav

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 10:59:19 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157861.0.html
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 05:25:55 am »
Holy crap that's a clean setup. Love your pedals bro. Hope to see more of this project  :cheers:
"One coin to rule em' all"

Frogbull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2022, 08:26:16 am
  • DAYYYYYYYYTONA!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 06:34:59 pm »
The best setup for the best Time Crisis, well done! :cheers:

cangarujack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 04:03:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 02:45:20 pm »
really nice works! i want build 2 of these! what size is the square tube? 15x15? 20x20? can you share biggest photos?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 02:47:58 pm by cangarujack »