Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: External speakers on a Rowe CD100E  (Read 1764 times)

RockOut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2022, 03:57:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
External speakers on a Rowe CD100E
« on: February 02, 2022, 10:52:28 pm »
I’ve got a CD100E with the internal speakers attached to E6.  I’d like to add a pair of 8 ohm external speakers(Klipsch KHO-7) at around the same volume or slightly less.  I attached them to E5 but they can barely be heard.

Are the internal speakers 4 or 8 ohm?

If they’re 8 ohms then the internal speakers are only taking 32 watts per side (L,R). 
Can I add the external speakers in parallel with the internal speakers on E6 which would be 64 watts? 
Alternatively, can I move the internal speakers to E7 then put the external speakers on E6 which would be 89 watts per side?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: External speakers on a Rowe CD100E
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 02:00:07 pm »
since the speakers you are adding onto the jukebox are 8 ohms, you can just go ahead and add them to to E7 tap. if they where 6 or 4 ohms you'd want to go a little lower on E6 or E5.

RockOut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2022, 03:57:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 03:58:24 pm »
I took your advice and it sounds great.  Oddly enough, the volume is right level.  My primary concern was over loading the amp without knowing the ohm rating of the in box speakers.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:13 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 02:40:41 pm »
the worksheets in the manuals where you have to calculate the speaker watt ratings and whatnot, where done up in a time where people didn't really understand the dynamics of an audio system. We've basically come to a new (and correct) understanding that we need to have a minimum speaker load applied to an amp to keep things from going haywire and blowing amps, and the load requirements of an amplifier are what actually determine if it can be run or not... not how may watts are attached to it.

you could in theory wire up hundreds of speakers to a single amp, provided you do it the correct way.